If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

1141516171820»

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Nyx wrote: »
    The Walking Dead Season 3: Episode 1 - Ties That Bind Part 1 (PS4) -- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Is that good or bad?
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Yoshi's New Island: 3DS. First of all, what is wrong with the people that make the music to these Yoshi games? Pure garbage. That aside, gameplay was fun albeit nothing really new for better or worse. Good time killer, won't 100% though.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Hue (Vita, 5 hours) - This was a fun little platformer that used color for puzzles (and had a good colorblind mode for those who need it). It reminded me of Limbo if Limbo had been colorful and fun.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Clix wrote: »
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    MeiQ - Labyrinth of Death - Mixed feels. Will be reviewed soon.

Console?

There, there, lolwhoops. It'll all be better soon. The mean old booby game is over and done with....

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    redwing42 wrote: »
    The Walking Dead Season 3: Episode 1 - Ties That Bind Part 1 (PS4) -- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Is that good or bad?

Good AHH.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2016
    Final Fantasy 15 (PS4). Clocked in the main story at around 40 hours.

I...don't really like it. The first thing that comes to mind with FF15 is wasted potential. All the things that people have told me, coupled with my own experience, says they spent way, WAY too long on the open world and worthless sidequests compared to what they invested in storytelling and characters. Seriously, the sidequests, hunts, and other little diversions in FF15 are so bad that I can't believe anyone at SE thought that this level of monotony would be acceptable. There wasn't much build up to any of the major plot points, and there was very little backstory concerning characters or lore presented in any major way throughout the game. Most of the game's battles typically amount to being swarmed by enemies and being defensive until you can get some hits in. I miss the turn-based FF battle system, because if I wanted to play something more actiony its been done quite a bit better in other games such as SO, Tales, or Bayonetta. Theres a few good parts in FF15 of course, namely how pretty the world is and the cool setpieces they came up with, which is mostly why I kept playing. A couple of smaller quirks like Prompto's pictures and stuff were also nice, but by the same token there were things that felt like they were sorely missing, such as a more robust fashion option.

Sadly I think FF15 is going to end up very low on my personal FF Tier list. Going into the game I felt like I allowed myself to give the game a fair chance and not judge it by its cover, even going so far as to think "Hey, it could end up being pretty good!". Unfortunately that didn't pan out. I can see how others would like 15, it does have some merit to it. It just doesn't hit any of the notes that speak to me in a good RPG.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS) - Good game, very good platformer. However, I have to say that mid-game (and especially late-game) has a HUGE difficulty spike from where you start. It's nuts what the game expects you to do sometimes. I can now play Half-Genie Hero with no problems. I just hope it is as good.
    Completed Read Only Memories (PC, via Steam) this evening. I was completely invested in this game, thought he final boss fight was a bit of a frustration. Got on every character's good side, though I got a very sad ending. I suppose I will have to play it again at some point. But if you love point n' click adventure games, this one has a really great and compelling story.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Syberia 2 (PC)

The second Syberia game continues immediately after the point where the first game left off. The story continues to be something that feels like it could take place in the real world, but has too many fantastical elements to be believable. I guess I can understand the motivations of Kate in this game, but I'm not really as invested in this leg of the story as I was in the first game's story. Many of the cutscenes regarding the search for Kate feel unnecessary other than to remind the player that this feels like an unrealistic adventure in the real world, but at least the people back home do not call Kate all the time this time around.

Mechanically, it seems to have maintained the same derpy engine as the first game, making controlling Kate with a mouse downright annoying in many places. I played with a guide, so I can't really judge how well they implemented the puzzle clues.

This game feels like its a completion of the story, despite having a lot of unresolved loose ends. Syberia 3 is in the works to be released several months after this mini-review was written, and I'm really not sure how they can continue this story without it feeling forced.
    Mercenaries Saga 3 (3DS, 14 hours) - Very similar to the prior game, but still fun enough to be worth playing. Love both games.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited December 2016
    Cat, you peanut gallery..

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)

I don't know if any of you remember this 'a one. I've been having a really bad MONTH and..this one will have you laughing like crazy. Needed that. It's on sale on Steam if you want to..just be prepared for a funny game. Solid old fashioned Lucas Arts adventure game, btw. Better graphics with this version since it's the Remastered one, but it still shows its age. I suggest you PUT THE JOYPAD DOWN for this game; stick with the mouse for good reason, the joypad controls kinda stink. Tho it's also available for PS4 and Xbox One, I think tho the PC is superior this time.

Oh and Shadowcat has beaten this so many times, he gave me some hints. That's why he's the peanut gallery, lol.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Oh and Shadowcat has beaten this so many times, he gave me some hints. That's why he's the peanut gallery, lol.

I'm glad my cat could be of assistance

(note I have a pet cat named Shadow and we often call him Shadowcat)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Lol Anime.

You proly know "Shadowcat" is my brother; he has a account on here with that name. But what a coincidence..
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Lol Anime.

You proly know "Shadowcat" is my brother; he has a account on here with that name. But what a coincidence..

Well I knew Shadowcat was a person on here. Did not know he was your brother though.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Bravely Second: End Layer - 3DS

Liked this one more then the first and really feel they tightend it up quite a bit. Also feel like they set it up for a third game and kinda excited.
    sig.gif

• SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PSVita)

This may have been my favorite game this year if Pokemon Sun/Moon didn't come out already. This is the first game I've kickstarted that I have received a code for. Honestly, I'm shocked to say it was worth the wait. Much throughout the game, I lamented that this game wasn't as good as Pirate's Curse. I beat it considerably faster, writing/jokes was not as strong as previous entries, and many of the transformations felt like extras.

Despite this, I could not stop playing this game. Even when I beat this and went "screw this game" after the final level, I picked it up an hour later and found myself having fun do my trophy hunting and other wrap up. I'm even doing a speedrun play-through with a new mode I unlocked. I never do those! This is also one of the strongest OSTs for the series as well. Despite it's faults, I really came to love this game. I may even write a review of it next year.

If you are wanting to play a very entertaining platformer, you can't really do better this year. But, if you say Pirate's Curse was better, I can't say your wrong. Heck, play both.

EDIT: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PSVita) [Platinum Trophy GET!!!]
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2016
    Final Fantasy XV (PS4) finished some six hours before the New Year (here anyway). On the whole very much enjoyed it. Bit kind of a shame that they skipped over a load of the plot details behind a lot with loads of stuff that would explain goings on seemingly happening off screen, but hey, at least the characters were cool and their interactions were great. (Also yes, chapter 13 sucks.)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    I also beat Final Fantasy XV (PS4) tonight! Enjoyed it too, though its also very frustrating in the way its so clearly FFXV: the abridged edition. Oh well.
    I like to think of it as FFXV: FF Versus XIII Salvaged Edition.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Suikoden III: PS2Finally! It took almost 2 years to replay this SOB because my woman kept making me haul my box TV back to the garage when we'd have guests because it "looks ugly" and then I didn't want to setup again. This was my third run at the game and final since I had Geddoe be my FC. I only missed 16 characters without a guide and without trying so not too bad. It took me nearly 18 months to get through the first three chapters but once I got the True Fire Rune the game gets so much better so I raced to the end in a month or two (again, see above, this only took me a few weeks back in the day). Such a slow game at first, especially with SOOOO much backtracking, but the end is worth it.

Last of 2016!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I also beat Final Fantasy XV (PS4) tonight! Enjoyed it too, though its also very frustrating in the way its so clearly FFXV: the abridged edition. Oh well.
    Sounds like a repeat of Xenogears Disc 2. So much potential...squandered. D:
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    We have begun a new year! This means that this thread is now closing down. I have posted the annual statistics in the opening post, but I will include them here next to last year's statistics.

Total number of games finished total in 2016: 500
    Total number of people participating in 2016: 29
    Average games per person in 2016: 17.24

Total number of games finished total in 2015: 580
    Total number of people participating in 2015: 38
    Average games per person in 2015: 15.26

It's not too late for me to update the 2016 list if anyone finished something in the last few days but does not regularly visit the site. However, this thread will be closed and considered final in one week.

Once again, thank you everyone for another wonderful year of wasting time on a relatively expensive hobby! Love you all lots.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited January 1
    I should perhaps report I beat the main story of Pokémon Sun for the 3DS a few days ago. I'll go into more details on my thoughts later, but it is a great improvement over X/Y, and perhaps even better Black/White. I need more time to mull over that. I really love the shake-ups to the formula!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Thanks to you for your great work Clix and happy New year!!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited January 1
    Thanks for the good work during your first complete season. I'm disappointed in my own contributions this year, but will hopefully step it up in 2017. Probably not, though, because Persona 5.
    Seriously, big hand to Clix for all the hard work in running this thread all year. May 2017 allow us to play more fantastic games and work through our backlogs! (Cryingface)
    edited January 2
    Seriously, big hand to Clix for all the hard work in running this thread all year. May 2017 allow us to play more fantastic games and work through our backlogs! (Cryingface)

Amen Nyx, Amen.

My backlog has more to do with me playing lots of MMO's then playing my backlog.
    sig.gif