If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - Jan - Atelier games

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Also, with the addition of Anna to the squad, I can say with certainty that she has become my favorite. She's just as fast as Nikki, but specializes in single target multi-hit moves. She can downright devastate the HP of enemies by herself, and also tends to get turns to come up pretty fast. R happens to have the amazing ability to speed up the turns of allies, making him useful in a pinch when I need moves to come up fast.

Anna is the best. Pretty sure I got her ending.
    ClixPsi.png
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    I found any interesting infographic someone posted regarding suggested Atelier orders, including information about how games spoil each other (without stating the spoilers).

https://5f6b8e78ceaeb0ab788d5ee01cc01ad6a3f46a5c.googledrive.com/host/0B5Bj6P2Lz7zWLURSTldpcFllRGc

One thing I forgot to add is that starting with Rorona, it makes it a lot easier to understand her eccentricities. If I started with Totori, I'd have thought she was completely nuts. Instead its rather endearing.

Woah! You've helped me dodge a bullet there, I was already in plans to fit in the new game + so I could Platinum the game as well as I finished it up. Thanks so much for this! I will definitely come back to this after the other two.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    SuccessorM wrote: »
    Woah! You've helped me dodge a bullet there, I was already in plans to fit in the new game + so I could Platinum the game as well as I finished it up. Thanks so much for this! I will definitely come back to this after the other two.

That might actually be a slight mistake on there. Its not really the NG+ that has spoilers, its the Overtime year after Year 3 (basically, postgame content). You can definitely Platinum the game in one single run, if you plan it out properly, though its probably easier to do it in a NG+. In this situation, you could play to the end of the regular story and get all of the endings, move to Totori, then Meruru, then come back to Rorona and play the Overtime year and finish off the associated trophies. I opted to play through Overtime right away, but I don't mind spoilers that much.

Just a note- if you do plan on going for the plat- the original guides for Rorona that tell you to only get 8 stars per assignment rather than 10- ignore that. Just 10 star everything you can. Rorona+ has higher requirements for some of the endings than the original did, and you can select which endings you want to play from a list of all the unlocked ones when you get to the end- so you can just reload your last save and choose a different ending. A lot easier than the original, and Totori at least. I'm not sure if any of the later Ateliers do it that way. I ended up missing the requirements for the True end because of the old guides, and had to make a NG+ run to get it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Beat Chapter 6 of Mana Khemia, and unlocked Muppy as my final character. This was a nice breather chapter, as all I had to worry about were random jobs, character quests, and the event at the end of the week. R finally got access to spells, which increases his/her usefulness in battle. Also, the bursts have definitely changed the flow of battle, making you WANT to hit weaknesses to build up the gauge so you can hit an enemy with a super attack.

During the chapter I unlocked the ability to restore HP in the support row right after the boss fight. I have a feeling this is going to come in handy, though it will probably be slow unless I get another ability to speed it up. Speaking of the boss...I actually almost got my first game over in this fight. 3 bosses, all difficult, all without weaknesses and hitting like a truck. I was forced to throw out X-Heals and Nectars quite a bit to avoid the game over. I really hope that Jess learns another healing spell, because hers can no longer do enough to help in battle now, the party takes too much damage.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Beat Chapter 7 of Mana Khemia, and I had a massive stupid moment. Turns out I had forgotten to learn Jess' 2nd heal a few chapters ago, which is why Chapter 6's boss was such a pain. This chapter I had to grind quite a bit to get Muppy up there and for him to learn all the stuff I could teach him this time. Created a lot of stuff, and most of the characters are now at 60%+ Grow Book completion. I'm at the 2/3 mark of the game too, so the rest of it is going to be me making what needs to be made and just in general grinding up skills.

Character quest wise, Jess, Nikki, Flay, Pamela, and R have completed their 3rd character quests, Anna's at her 2nd, and Muppy hasn't had any unlock yet. Found out this coming chapter can have up to 4 free days, so I'm going to try and get 4 of the characters to their 4th character quest. I need to avoid getting them to the 5th and Muppy to his 4th character quests, because those are the quests that lock the ending. I plan on making a save to abuse to see every ending, so I'm going to push back the character quests as long as I can as soon as they're all down to their final.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Atelier games! Now I wan't to play an Atelier game, but I'm already struggling to balance Trails of Cold Steel and Yakuza 5......

But who am I kidding, I can't pass by an excuse to play an Atelier game. Now I'll just have to decide whether to play Atelier Annie which has been sitting in the backlog for a couple of years or wait on my copy of Escha and Logy Plus to show up and play the Escha route which I skipped the first time.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    That might actually be a slight mistake on there. Its not really the NG+ that has spoilers, its the Overtime year after Year 3 (basically, postgame content). You can definitely Platinum the game in one single run, if you plan it out properly, though its probably easier to do it in a NG+. In this situation, you could play to the end of the regular story and get all of the endings, move to Totori, then Meruru, then come back to Rorona and play the Overtime year and finish off the associated trophies. I opted to play through Overtime right away, but I don't mind spoilers that much.

Just a note- if you do plan on going for the plat- the original guides for Rorona that tell you to only get 8 stars per assignment rather than 10- ignore that. Just 10 star everything you can. Rorona+ has higher requirements for some of the endings than the original did, and you can select which endings you want to play from a list of all the unlocked ones when you get to the end- so you can just reload your last save and choose a different ending. A lot easier than the original, and Totori at least. I'm not sure if any of the later Ateliers do it that way. I ended up missing the requirements for the True end because of the old guides, and had to make a NG+ run to get it.

Point taken, and I really appreciate it. I'm on assignment 3 so far and really loving the game. I thought the battle system was too simplistic, at first. And then I met my first boss. It was too adorable to kill, which is good, it did all the killing when we first met. Well, just one of my characters anyway. Then the SMT player in me min/maxed my items and equipment and ultimately crushed it. Elemental attacks and item attributes go a long way! It didn't stand a chance! Looking forward to finishing this up this month!
    Completed Chapter 8 of Mana Khemia. Everybody's grow books are at 70%+ in completion, and things are starting to progress to the endgame. With the exceptions of a few characters, everybody has learned all of their attacks, and battles are truly starting to be zoomed through. The upgrades to the Support actions everybody has obtained have truly separated them from each other. Muppy's defensive action pulls the entire party except for himself out of combat, leaving only him to take the damage. Meanwhile Anna and Flay's seem to up their defense and give them guaranteed counter-attacks. Storywise, things are being heavily foreshadowed, and this coming chapter things will hit the fan, I suspect.
    edited January 2016
    I just finished the opening section of Atelier Meruru+ to the point where I have been given my first main goal (getting a specific population/popularity by the end of 3 years). It only took me 3 or 4 days of intermittent playing to get this far, but I should have more time to focus on it going forward.

I promptly slept for 3 years to get the 'bad ending' (Castle Life). I also opted to build the Training Center first. It seems that bonus XP and non-active members getting XP is more valuable than bonus alchemy XP, especially for the long term.

It seems a little overpowering that both Kiena and Lias start off with attacks that have range, and Kiena can cause sleep right from the beginning, but I like being OP.

update: I spent a few hours really playing today, and I'm liking the kingdom development idea a bit more than the adventurer badge from Totori. It feels a bit more organic and more refined. I cleared a few maps, and got to the first area where I'm starting to develop, and I've taken care of the first mini-boss (Prickly Bunny). I've also racked up enough development points already to have several new buildings, and I'm pretty much out of any side tasks. Looking forward to getting to the next step up so that I can do more stuff.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Finally got around to starting on Mana Khemia (the PS2 version), and I agree with Dark that the passage of time in the dungeons is a bit brutal. Monsters are considerable tougher at night, and there is hardly enough time to get you your destination without fighting anything. Still, I finished Chapter 1 and I'm moving on.
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Finally got around to starting on Mana Khemia (the PS2 version), and I agree with Dark that the passage of time in the dungeons is a bit brutal. Monsters are considerable tougher at night, and there is hardly enough time to get you your destination without fighting anything. Still, I finished Chapter 1 and I'm moving on.
    Luckily it gets better, though the many moments where you need to just wait out from night to day is still annoying.

My suggestion is, after you get Pamela and Flay, to fight every monster in a dungeon the first two times you enter it (not on assignment of course, that's asking for a Failing grade). This gets you some much needed AP, mats, and money. From all the times afterwards, avoid battles as much as possible unless you need specific drops. This makes sure everybody will have the AP they need to use on the Grow Books, while at the same time helping you gain mats and not getting annoyed with the dungeon after the 2nd run through a place.

Oh, and protip, if you're in a dungeon at the end of a chapter and see a save point, don't go further than that without going back to the workshop and making as much as possible for the Grow Books, you're going to want and need whatever skills and stats they give.
    Ah ha ha ha, I was definitely not expecting Rorona to show up in Meruru like that. The entire situation is both entertaining, and has just the right amount of creepiness from Astrid.

I've finished the first year in the game. As soon as I crossed in to Year 2, I spent the next hour or so just walking in and out of the workshop triggering events. I do wish that both Totori+ and Meruru+ had the indicator on the fast travel list about where events could be triggered. Sometimes I'll trigger events moving around, even at other locations, but not always. I tend to avoid fast travel in order to not miss events.

Also finally have a LOT of stuff to do, development-wise. The last few months of the first year left me with not a whole lot to do. At least the progress report indicates I'm more than likely to hit the goals.

I also enjoy Hanna's quarterly newletters. Though it always seems there is a story about Meruru abusing Puni's....
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Downloading Esca & Logy Plus tomorrow, woohoo!
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    All right, so I can finally start posting here again. Yesterday I finally had the chance to boot up my review copy of Atelier Escha & Logy Plus. Would have started this sooner, but Banner Saga needed to be completed first. Anywho, the first time I played this game all the way through, I did it as Escha, so this time around I'm going to do this run as Logy. I've just completed the first Assignment, as well as the whole bingo card! I still have 36 days of free time left, so I'm going to try and spend it interacting with the other characters. I really enjoyed this one the first time around, so I'm excited to play this one again.
    I'm starting to feel like there are simply too many party characters in Meruru, but few of them provide me any good reason to actually use them. Totori, with her imported weapon, is so OP its hard to not include her in the team. So I'm trying to rotate other people through the third slot to try to build Friend Level. Rorona, being another alchemist, makes the obvious choice for most OP third member, but I don't want to just stick with one team- not when I feel like I have 30 other people.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through year 2. I'm trying to keep up with tasks but its finally dumping them on me faster than I can do them. Its just frustrating that the dev points come too slowly to constantly keep new buildings coming.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Just for this theme, I hooked my PS2 back into my TV and started up Atelier Judie: The Alchemist of Gramnad. It starts out a bit differently from most Atelier games, and continues to be a bit different throughout.

At the very start, Judie is asked to make a strange item called the Dragon's Hourglass. It's a tricky recipe, and she flubs it. When the smoke clears, her workshop is completely broken down, and for good reason. She soon discovers that she has been cast forward in time some two-hundred twenty-four years, and her old village does not exist anymore.

Atelier Judie is also the only Atelier game with no set end-date. The calendar just keeps going on and on until one of the ending conditions (e.g. actually making the Hourglass) are met.

--- edit: As it turns out, my PS2 memory card went defunct sometime last year without my noticing. I guess this one's on hold until I can find a new one.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    Atelier is the only series I have multiple platinums for with Escha & Logy, Shallie, and Rorona Plus.
    edited January 2016
    Finally back on the game, after getting addicted to Smite. Got to the middle of Chapter 11, and things are hitting the fan. I already know where this is going to lead, and this is the time where I make my choice on who the ending will be with...and due to how many days are left in the month, I will probably only stick with one ending. That ending will probably be R's ending. Out of all the character quests, only R's seem to have a purpose, and despite the comedic things that happen, (s)he's the one I feel the most attached to as a character. Everybody's Grow Books are at 90%+, so the next chapter will probably give me the final things for the book, and thus I will max out and finish the game.
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    My boyfriend lent me his copy of Rorona, but I haven't started on it because most everyone tells me I should play Plus instead, but that's one of the ones we don't have...

Otherwise, my only experience with the series is the first Iris game and... I was young and didn't understand the complexities of the game and wasn't a fan of how "clean" it looked. I was coming off of PS1/2 games that were all 3D models and my only experience at the time with sprites were the very pixel-y sprites of early Final Fantasy games, so I eventually got rid of my copy. Now I have the aforementioned Rorobutts, along with the entire Dusk trilogy, but... time limits scare me. It's why I haven't finished Lightning Returns. :(
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    I'm not sure how the Atelier games overall do time limits. The time limits in Mana Khemia are just for assignments and "weeks". You can stay in a dungeon for a long time during the weeks, and it won't move the clock to the next week until you turn in an assignment (if it's one of those weeks), you do a character quest, or you do the story event dungeon and boss. It's probably different in the other ones, but I like how Mana Khemia does its, it's more laid back.
    Rorona has strict time limit, each assignment is 3 months long over the course of 3 years (The first assignment is actually a bit shorter, and there are a couple of other slight modifications). It seems strict, but its plennnty of time to do every task assigned with time to spare. Some of the later ones might be a little harder, but its not too bad. Rorona+'s Overtime year is less guided, you get a main task to achieve over that year, and you either succeed or fail. There's also some bonus dungeons and bosses, but IIRC they aren't specifically necessary to achieve the main goal.

Totori goes in the complete opposite direction. You have a rather vague 5 year goal, and you have a few yearly checkpoints. Meruru is similar, but the long term goal is 3 years out and you also get yearly checkpoints. It seems that the difference between Totori and Meruru is that you can't fail the checkpoints in Meruru, they appear to more be there to let you know if you are going to meet the end goal or not if you keep up how you are. There may be more time beyond the end of year 3 in Meruru, but I haven't got there yet.

Totori/Meruru also have a bit of a change in how time is consumed while you are outside of town than Rorona does, which ends up consuming the time in a day faster based on battles and gathering materials. It felt offputting at first how fast time is consumed in Totori vs Rorona, but it turns out to be fine.

So my progress update- I have just begun year 3 in Meruru+. It looks like I am definitely on track to meet the main goal. I JUST figured out that weapon synth is weird in Meruru- new weapons/armor wont appear in the synth list until you have made the appropriate ingot/cloth for it once already. I was waiting to make them until I could actually use them, so I wouldn't waste time synthing useless materials. Also getting so many new items to make that I haven't bothered with most of them yet. I just found myself starting to really fall behind in damage output and couldn't figure out how to get Hagel to offer better weapons to synth other than the first level ones for far too long.
    My boyfriend lent me his copy of Rorona, but I haven't started on it because most everyone tells me I should play Plus instead, but that's one of the ones we don't have...

Otherwise, my only experience with the series is the first Iris game and... I was young and didn't understand the complexities of the game and wasn't a fan of how "clean" it looked. I was coming off of PS1/2 games that were all 3D models and my only experience at the time with sprites were the very pixel-y sprites of early Final Fantasy games, so I eventually got rid of my copy. Now I have the aforementioned Rorobutts, along with the entire Dusk trilogy, but... time limits scare me. It's why I haven't finished Lightning Returns. :(

If you have the original I'd just play it. The improvements are nice but the main addition of the game(post game chapter) you won't get much enjoyment from unless you played Totori/Meruru already so maybe get Rorona Plus after you finish the Arland trilogy if you feel like it.
    Got around to finishing Chapter 2 of Mana Khemia. Hoping to get through a couple more chapters this weekend, but I doubt I'll be able to finish it before the end of the month. I keep getting distracted by MGSV.
    I just realized that Esty Dee's name is a pun.

Wonder how many other's I've missed. The only other one I know of is Escha & Logy being based on Eschatology, and that & is "to" in Japanese or something like that.
    Making my way through Atelier Escha & Logy Plus and working my way through Assignment 3 (though I just need to synthesize a few items and I am good). I CAN POWERTHROUGH THIS... MAYBE.
    edited January 2016
    I just realized that Esty Dee's name is a pun.

If I recall NISA tried to say that wasn't intentional. (which if they did and I'm not confusing that with something else, I don't believe them)
    Finished with Chapter 3 of Mana Khemia. I love the lighthearted tone of the game so far. Skipping enemies is still counter intuitive, but it does seem to be the best course of action for now.
    So my goal before the end of the month is to try and at least have Atelier Escha & Logy Plus completed, with the review following as soon as I have a free moment to write it (work is nuts for the next two weeks). Currently I just completed Assignment 6 and am now in Free Time, so I'm trying to grind a bit as well as fill in more of the bingo card. There's a super nasty boss in this game that I hated the first time around, so I'm trying to craft the best equipment, as well as grind a few levels to make sure I don't have the same issues I did the first time I played it (mind you, every person I talked to who played it back on PS3 hated that boss and had trouble with it). So here's hoping I can push on through and have it completed before we start on FF month!

...which yes, as an FF hater, I'm going to participate in. I never beat FFX, and I have a half started playthrough waiting to be completed!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Oh FF month, I can easily get a couple in there by switching my going to bed game from SO to FF 1-6
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited January 2016
    I finished the main 3 year goal in Meruru+ with about 6 months to spare. I'm currently working through that last 6 months and trying to accumulate more of the development points. I think there is more time after that end date, but I'm not sure how much. I tried taking on the Wyvern, but I wasn't particularly prepared. I almost beat him, but a cruddy turn order gave him the opportunity to beat me right before I got the final blow.

For FF month next month- I'm actually already playing FF3 on steam. However my intended game for FF month is FF13-2, which I will start only after I finish Meruru. If I can finish that before the halfway point in the month, I'll try to squeeze in Lightning Returns (if I'm not burned out on 13). FF3 is a more long term game, since I plan on working toward finishing the "get lv99 in all jobs for all characters" achievement, which I can grind at work.