If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

An Hour to Impress - Episode 1: Bible Studies

omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited January 2016 in Latest Updates
An Hour to Impress is a new video series in which we play through the first hour of lesser known RPGs and give you our first impressions.  Episode 1 is FIVE: Guardians of David by Kingdom Games.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2016/010616a.html
Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    Is there a link? I've been interested in this game since it popped up on Steam a few weeks ago.
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    updated with a link. page wasnt finalized yet.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Thanks, I guess I jumped the gun :)

I'm liking this video series idea. I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, and maybe having a feed like the podcasts that would allow me to download the episodes rather than watch via youtube.

As for this game and video, the format was pretty good, and you've done a good job showing me that I'd probably like this game (adding to wishlist now). It does look a little rough around the edges, but it looks fairly competent. I didn't particularly care for Christian (Hebrew) history being referred to as mythology despite the archaeological evidence showing that David existed, but I understand the point of view. But overall a good first outing for a video series, and I like the even-handed attitude about the setting in particular.
    smacd wrote: »
    Thanks, I guess I jumped the gun :)

I'm liking this video series idea. I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, and maybe having a feed like the podcasts that would allow me to download the episodes rather than watch via youtube.

As for this game and video, the format was pretty good, and you've done a good job showing me that I'd probably like this game (adding to wishlist now). It does look a little rough around the edges, but it looks fairly competent. I didn't particularly care for Christian (Hebrew) history being referred to as mythology despite the archaeological evidence showing that David existed, but I understand the point of view. But overall a good first outing for a video series, and I like the even-handed attitude about the setting in particular.

Mythology can be based in history and still be mythology. David may have very well been a real person. However, I sincerely doubt he slew a 9-foot tall giant with a few pebbles. Similarly, much of Greek and Norse mythology are likely based at least partly in fact, but embellished by their respective authors to create what we now know as Greek mythology.

To put it another way, I do believe that Jesus Christ was a real person. I think there is enough historical evidence to suggest that this was, in fact, the case. I don't believe, however, that he resurrected from the dead or turned water into wine. Once matters of historical fact become melded with matters of personal faith, that's where it becomes mythology (or legends, or fables, or whatever you want to call it.) That doesn't mean the stories are any less poignant or important. They don't need to be factually true to have value, and that's where I think a lot of hardline religious people start to miss the point.

Again, that's my personal take on religion and mythology. Hardly the place to discuss something so contentious, but it does tie in to the game under discussion. I thought that comment might offend a few people, but that wasn't my intention, just my personal outlook on it.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    once you have to describe playable characters as being 'non-canon additions to the story' you have crossed into myth.
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    But is the game FUN? Theres a LOT of fast forwarding in the video and even then you can see the player chopping away at enemies for an unusually long amount of time.
    imercenary wrote: »
    But is the game FUN? Theres a LOT of fast forwarding in the video and even then you can see the player chopping away at enemies for an unusually long amount of time.

It's fun enough. I called it a competent Diablo clone because it is. It's definitely not Diablo, but I can definitely see some potential. The fight against Goliath was the most fun segment, easily.

Don't forget, this is only an hour of playtime and not meant to be a review. It's pretty much impossible to make a full and proper judgment on a game in only an hour.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Speaking as one with a horse in the race, I must echo the concern with with the language used describing Christianity as a myth. I understand that, in its best light, the term myth may refer to any worldview based, traditional story... which may, or may not be based in reality. Assuming the best of my friend, Omega, I will presume that is the way meant to be used.

However, people often use the term to mean "an idea or story that is believed by many people but that is not true." (Marriam Webster dictionary). Often times you hear the question asked, "Fact or Myth?" as if the term stands diametrically opposed to the word, "Fact."

I understand that in this day and age, less people than ever believe in the Christian story... and that more and more believe that the Bible is, indeed, a product of some rather over productive imaginations. However, a substantial segment of our population, myself included, still believe that it is the foundation of truth (scary, I know), and would probably prefer another word used there. Heck, I would much prefer the world "story" over "myth." I think that allows room for people who do not believe, while lacking the offending implication that the word "myth" brings to those who do.

Other than that, I pretty much enjoyed the vid... I love the concept! Though the fast forward part kinda threw me for a loop. Things started moving REAL fast, and I wasn't sure why....
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited January 2016
    Regarding use of the word "myth".... There are people who follow a religion called Hellenism that might best be referred to as "Neopagans" that actually still believe in the Olympian gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece (and Rome). And yet, you can find hundreds of books on Greek mythology in the library and take college courses on the subject.

I've met only a couple people who identified as pagan in my life, and did not ask them specifically which gods they believe in. Hellenists are primarily in Greece and few in number. However, I do wonder if they get offended that the stories on which their religion is based are almost universally referred to as "myths".

Being sensitive to connotation and implication of terminology is tricky when you think something has as much factual basis as a fairy tale. Nevertheless, I generally try to respect people's beliefs, however, far-fetched they may seem to me, as long as they respect my beliefs or lack thereof (i.e., they don't try to force their personal beliefs on others)... Which doesn't necessarily mean I won't openly disagree with them, but just that I try not hostile about it. This goes not only for religion, but for people who believe in extra-terrestrial / UFO sightings, ghosts, ESP and psychic powers, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, Chupacabra, etc.

Basically as long as one's belief is not "I think it's OK to harm other humans or animals" or "I am going to oppress, alienate, or persecute people who don't follow the same dogma I do", then I have no quarrel with people believing in whatever makes them happy.

Anyway, this game doesn't really appeal to me as I don't like Diablo or its clones. But it looks a lot better made than some of the Christian themed games I've seen on Kickstarter; which mostly looked like sad cash grabs or just a thinly veiled attempt to proselytize.

I would love to see more religious themed RPGs being made (preferably with turn-based tactical combat, but wouldn't mind a Witcher style action RPG). Even though I don't think any of the biblical stories are at all based in reality, I very often enjoy movies based on them (e.g., Prophecy, Stigmata, Constantine, etc.) and comic books, but there seems to be a dearth of video games based on these stories...

Only hurdle I see with that is that if they deviate from the "canon", they risk offending the believers, yet if they don't change some things or make completely original stories based on biblical characters (or at least add material), the narrative of these games will be extremely predictable / linear.... And that will make for dull RPGs.

I seriously want to play an RPG where you can play as an Angel and either work your way up to Archangel fighting devils / demons or fall and join Lucifer.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Guys, guys. Please take this off the forums before it gets messy. I'd hate to lock the thread of a subpar third person looter.