If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 371: "EVERYONE'S FIRED"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 371: "EVERYONE'S FIRED"

As Anna works on replacing the podcast staff, Chris tries to figure out who can twink him through FFXI RoV. Alice doesn't deliver missiles, but does take us all the way back to the .hack series. Alex and Jonathan both hit one Out of the Park, but only Alex has the taste of Cold Steel in his mouth.

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Trailers"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Questions of the Week:
What are your favorite games of 2015?

What did you get for Christmas/etc?
179811.png

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    For the record, I pick on Natsume Championship Wrestling not because it's bad - I haven't played it, truth be told. It's just... weird that they'd use a slot on it. #nocontext
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    favorite games of 2015?
    I came back full throttle to FFXI until the holidays hit and i got busy. loving all the new FFXI stuff i'm trying to catch up on. i did finally get level 99 though.. :)

what did i get for christmas?
    Nothing really game related, but my favorite thing I got was a 5 TB external hard drive that I've been needing for 6 months.. my 1 TB drive is full so i haven't been able to do any time machine backups. (which is difficult seeing as my internal drive has 530GB on it, so one backup takes up over half the drive space.)
    nkkd01.jpg
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    noodle wrote: »
    favorite games of 2015?
    I came back full throttle to FFXI until the holidays hit and i got busy. loving all the new FFXI stuff i'm trying to catch up on. i did finally get level 99 though.. :)

Spoiler. RPGamer's GotY is Final Fantasy XI.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Macstorm wrote: »
    noodle wrote: »
    favorite games of 2015?

Spoiler. RPGamer's GotY is Final Fantasy XI.

hurray!
    nkkd01.jpg
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Frank Herbert and Tex mex. hitting close to my heart here.
  • 2015 was a weird year for me. I started playing the original star ocean, a ton of WoW, and ESO, Mario Maker, some odd ball rom hacks and Kirby games. As for an actual game that came out this year (decade) that's an RPG, I don't even know. Looking forward I'll have to pick up a 3DS because I NEED the DQ remakes. I don't like handhelds, they make me feel all vomity, but I NEED those DQ's and that will open a flood gate of RPG's I'm sure, like when I finally caved and got a DSi, it was fine but man, not my preference of systems and that wife totally stole the DSi. ...then again I'm having my first kid in April, so team handheld in a baby bjorn?
  • What are some games you know are not very good, but have a certain charm to them, underneath all the terribleness? There is so much I hate about Tales of Xillia 2, but in the end I would put it in the top half of Tales games that I have played. So much of that game is mishandled, or just plain awful, but the characters and their interactions make it worthwhile. Honestly, just watching them interact and relate to Elle is worth the price of admission alone.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    xilla 2 was flawed to me, but in the end I enjoyed fighting all the optional bosses.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    Has Anna played Undertale? Because that might be a good game to play while waiting for Paper Jam, I imagine she would like it.

You do have the chance to go on
    a date with a skeleton :)

Funny enough Undertale counts for one of those favourites and something I got in the post Christmas sales. ;)

The other game I bought was Lara Croft GO (not played yet), after liking Hitman GO this year. I would probably have to put Citizens of Earth and Thomas Was Alone as the other favourites, as I don't remember playing any big name titles this year.
    (And I'm not considering the free to plays which have taken up most of my gaming time.)
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I have to say World of Warcraft is my favorite game in 2015 and pretty much every year since I started playing, because of the thousands of hours I've spent on it.

Undertale's "combat" system is confusing me. I'll give it another try in the near future.

I heartily recommend "Attack of the Friday Monsters". It's a good storytelling game, very short and simple.

I had only one problem with "Attack of the Friday Monsters"; even though the main game is only 3 hours long and relatively satisfying, attempting 100% completion in the postgame was incredibly frustrating. You have to collect every card in the game to unlock the last episode, and I could not get the last card no matter how much I tried. My opponent just never played it, so I never had any chance to capture it. I read FAQs, checked the GameFAQs message boards, did a lot of save scumming, tried and tried for perhaps another 3-5 hours total before just giving up.

So, obsessing over 100% completion probably isn't worth the effort. Probably.

I have a similar problem to Anna - even though I'm resolving to attack my RPG backlog this year, the game I keep going back to currently is Picross DS. There is something incredibly addictive about Picross puzzles. I learned that some Picross puzzles cannot be finished solely through "line solving" and had to look up a few advanced Picross strategies online. (The game has a hint system, but using it kind of feels like cheating).