If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 372: "Crust Emergency"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 372: "Crust Emergency"

Chris punches stuff. Anna Marie whips girls. Alice does a sick dunk. And Jonathan Rainbows your Six. Now where's that pizza?

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Trailers"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Questions of the Week:
Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger
179811.png

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    My response to the Question of the Week:

Without going into spoilers, it's well known that the Chrono Cross story is a slap in the face to fans of the characters from Chrono Trigger. I'll say Chrono Trigger is better because it's not the game that "poisoned the well", but I won't touch either of them. Part of enjoying an RPG (or any other storytelling media), for many people including me, is becoming emotionally invested in the characters and their destinies.

In terms of gameplay, Chrono Cross has some good points (no random battles, yay?), but earning the best ending virtually requires a FAQ, which is another knock against it.

Maybe Chris should try Shiness when it comes out? It's an action-fighting-RPG. I'm sure there will be punching.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Like the cat vs dogs argument, I like both! I probably perfer trigger, but cross is a great game in its own right. I would have probably loved it more had they gotten toriyama to come back and do character artwork like he did for trigger.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I think Trigger is one of the two best games of all time, while I think Cross got about 2 - 2.5 points higher in various EGM opinions than it should have.

Trigger has the right amount of characters and a more satisfying conclusion.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I think Chrono Cross is best described as "Really good RPG", "Terrible sequel".
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2016
    If I had to choose, probably Chrono Trigger. I don't really care for either of the games, but after a recent replay of Chrono Cross, its a complete mess with mostly undeveloped characters, a boring world map, and almost Xenogears-level budget constraints on the second disc. Not to mention one of the worst turn based battle systems I've ever encountered.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    Chris, why would you ask a question where you already know the answer everyone is going to give.

OBVIOUSLY, it's Chrono Cross because... because... because it has better graphics.

I'm sorry, you can't see it, but I couldn't keep a straight face while writing that. Of course it's Chrono Trigger! The game is more focused, more polished, and has better gameplay systems.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    A hyperlink for Anna! This is a fantastic webpage of advanced Picross-solving strategies never mentioned in the Pokemon Picross tutorial, illustrated with easy-to-follow examples.

http://webpbn.com/index.cgi?page=solving.html

The author calls Picross "web paint by number", but just ignore the stuff about colors. The "Edge Logic", "Two-Way Logic", and "Summing" strategies are especially useful.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Summing is something I picked up a while back naturally (and it's actually the basis of the advanced mode in Pokemon Picross, while I'll start doing more of soon), but that Edge Logic is new to me, and going to be VERY useful. Thanks!