If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - Questions 2: Electric Boogaloo

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
edited January 2016 in Latest Updates
We end the year with user questions. Thanks for asking and thanks for listening.

Questions
Future Stuff
Non-Question Episodes

Talking Points:
-Thanks to all of listeners for all the questions, even LOL.

Next: Eating our own tails

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    I couldn't think of a question.

Did Fallout 4 actually underperform? It shipped 12 million copies for launch, which is a few more million than Skyrim, but I don't see any sell-through numbers.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    lolwhoops lightning round. I can always provide more questions. I'm a questioner.

Also, when it comes to my username it's always lower case. I'm pretty sure it sets off my ocd button when I see it in capitals.

I like Neptunia games.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I finished Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Is it really as utterly terrible as implied in previous episodes of this podcast? I don't think so; I think it's a deeply flawed game with some good points, and that it deserves the 3 out of 5 that Adriaan's review gave it.

In response to "I'm not drawing a circle every time I want to heal!" - yes, that's the game's single biggest flaw next to the poor quality soundtrack. Healing moves completely fail if even one of the stylus action commands is missed, which gets frustrating very fast.

There is an in-game trick to solve this problem, and I exploited it without remorse. When hatching a Chao Egg, one can save scum until a Ferox Chao hatches. The Ferox Chao makes all action commands automatically succeed for the character it's bonded to, which is a godsend for the party healer. Getting a Ferox Chao is purely random; I think I reloaded some 30+ times.

This does not justify the terrible design choice of making healing moves so easy to fail, but it does make the game playable, maybe even somewhat fun.

Now I'm gradually playing through another RPG bashed on this podcast: Time & Eternity. I spent good money pre-ordering the collector's edition because I trusted the folks who made Arc Rise Fantasia, a game I loved, to create something wonderful. Yeah, that didn't work out, but I'm going to embrace the sunk cost fallacy and finish Time & Eternity anyway.

I'm several hours in so far. I think Sam's descriptions of its negative points in her 1 out of 5 review are quite accurate.
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Man I am always terrible about commenting on podcasts; listen to it in the car, think of something to say, then forget about it by the time I'm in front of a computer. So suffice to say, fun show that left me with 3 thoughts:

1. Good to confirm that I'm still me; always good to know :)
    2. On the platform change question, Yakuza was the series I was thinking of when I asked the question. I'm probably too much of a fan to be impartial, but if Sleeping Dogs can sell fairly well, surely there must be some market for a Yakuza game on PC.
    3. Always kinda amazed by the quantity of questions lolwhoops produces; I'm obviously way too neurotic about these sorts of things spending way too much time analyzing whether its a good question or not to death.