If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 21: Ziggy Stardust and the Q&A from Mars - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited January 2016 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss the Metal Gear Solid series and remember the late David Bowie. We also compare and contrast Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XIII.

Episode 21: Ziggy Stardust and the Q&A from Mars - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 2016
    I'm halfway through the episode, and i just have to say you two put into words what I was trying to say about ff13 and ffx so well. It's interesting how there is the psychological level and how it can change experiences, and game design is shaped by nuances.

Bowie's ambient tracks of the Berlin trilogy, particularly Low would have mark a great video game soundtrack. But sure I would love to hear some Bowie talk. I think he also influenced a lot of Japanese visual bands. And some of those bands influenced character designs. Yoshitaka Amano always had some Bowie esque designs, even going as far as doing some official Bowie artwork. That thin androgonous look is there is a lot of Amano stuff.
    Question- There was a time when being an open world game was interesting for just being that. But it seems open world has become so common, that games can't just get by on that alone. I think fallout 4 might have been hurt by this. Also open world fatigue does set in. Do you think this is or isn't true, and what sort of things do open world games need to bring to the table to stand out?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    First, much like you I did not realize how many Bowie songs I actually knew until I started going through his discography.

Second, did you see where an observatory in Europe designated an actual constellation for him?

Third, now that you mention it, Zangoose DOES look a bit like Ziggy.

Fourth, remember the Kaijuu RamPaGe game I made up for your Q&A reading enjoyment years back? If I ever did make it, it was always my firm intention of making the main character an astronaut named Major Thomm, and then have the opening sequence practically paraphrasing the song.

Finally, best Bowie tribute ever?

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    why does the audio cut out a few times? dudes, you need to be heard. :| whaaaat

question: what game has the most confusing but still enjoyable dungeons?

....more questions I guess....

who is the dumbest (in a good way) character in an RPG?
    if your last year was an RPG, what would you name it? Who would your year's final boss be? Plot twist?
    What was the most expensive game you ever bought that you well and truly hated?
    what RPG from 2015 would you recommend for each system (ps3, ps4, vita, 3ds, 360, xbone, pc, wiiu) as the reason to own it for the year?
    did you ever play a game that had a cameo that you entirely missed until years later?
    what RPGs have the coolest looking equipment?
    who is the unsung hero of JRPG character design?
    what RPGs have the creepiest charcters and/or enemies?
    Since Lightning is now a clothing model, who else do you think would make great models?
    have you ever played a game that had one area or level or whatever that was amazing but every other area was dull?
    What is the grace period you give an RPG before you toss it? What games did you quit the fastest?
    Who are your favourite JRPG dub voices? Actors and/or specific characters.
    In terms of multiplayer potential, are RPGs better as cooperative or competitive experiences?
    Can you think of any RPGs that become significantly less entertaining without voices? A few examples for me would be Tales of Legendia and Neptunia Re;Birth3. ToL wasn't a great game, but when they throw that post game at you without any of the voices, it became painfully obvious how dull the whole experience really was so I dropped it and moved on. Neptunia though has a lot of the stuff I like about the series with significant chunks of story with no voice work. A big part of the charm of the games to me is the personality that comes out in each voice and trying to recreate that in my head while reading text just doesn't cut it.
    Should I have put line breaks in here or can you tell where each question starts?
    The internet basically killed the video game strategy guide. Did you used to buy/use/collect any? Do you miss the days of physical game guides? I kinda do. I used to get them for the art and stuff and especially loved them in future runs when I wanted to do everything without trying to figure it out on my own. I still have a bunch and I'm quite fond of them.
    Why is it that Vanguard Bandits isn't a more popular retro title? Giant mechs, strategy RPG, multiple endings, interesting characters, good music... the game is one of my favourites. Of course, the final boss fight is ridiculous and I dread it every time I replay the game, but other than that it's a really solid experience.
    Blue mages suck. Why do they never have an easy way of getting all the skills? Why are most of the skills useless anyway? Strago was interesting, but blue mages generally are crappy characters. Quina or whatever? Yeah, he/she/it sucks. Stop making bad blue mages Square Enix.
    Is there any game that makes leveling up make sense? Like, gaining experience and then you suddenly have a permanent boost to your power. Does any RPG actually give a reason why this works? Like a serious explanation that makes sense?
    Why don't more RPGs make bad things happen when your characters chug too many potions or use status curing items like sedatives or tranquilizers? Oh, you're confused? i'll stab you with this tranquilizer and you're feel better. Don't worry, i'm sure there will be no lasting harm if you get confused like a dozen times because that's this boss's thing.
    what game or series has the best UI?
    What RPG series needs to have its own version of the Monopoly board game? There seems to be one for almost everything anyway.
    Do you like Monster Hunter? It's pretty decent isn't it? Well, I want you to tell us why it is the worst game series ever. Be as brutal as possible. Just tear into everything that's wrong with it. Come at it like you hate the game and everything it stands for.
    Remember when Final Fantasy 9 was being advertised? I do. I remember reading an ad that said "the crystals come back" or something close to that. Then when I played the game, I never even thought about it. The reason? There's no frigging crystals in the damn game! They wanted to return to fantasy-like games that people were yearning for from days of yore, but that was a big swing and a miss. I mean, I like the game and everything, but I can't help but feel like Square has been trolling us for decades.
    Handheld RPGs are better because ________, ________, and ___________. Fill in the blanks.
    Everyone talks about Aeris/ith dying in Final Fantasy 7 as a big, important scene, but there have been plenty of plot induced deaths in RPGs. What was the worst, dumbest, most unnecessary death? Or maybe more than just one?
    what is the coolest thing to drive/ride on in RPGs? I think more non MMORPGs need to have dragon mounts. Preferably dragons that can also shoot fire or lightning at things.

it is 4:30 am now. I will ask more questions later.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    It's actually an asterism rather than a constellation, and there's nothing really official about it :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    If we want to get really technical, all "picture" constellations are also asterisms. And it sounds cooler this way.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    lolwhoops wrote: »

OHMYSOMUCHTEXT

Next time on Q&A Quest, we have a 40 hour show O_O

Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    You both mentioned the Ys series a while back. That was a series I had never played until some of the remakes were released on steam. What were your experiences with the series, and which game stands as your highlight.
  • First off, no I'm not Christopher Walken, just a Stephen King fan who walks a lot. I had the exact same experience of realising just how many Bowie songs I loved. So, what was Bowie's greatest influence on RPGs?

Also, would a Laberynth based RPG work?
    I also think Bowie was influenced by Asian theater, their costumes and makeup. So it almost becomes a circular influence.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited January 2016
    Wheels wrote: »
    lolwhoops wrote: »

OHMYSOMUCHTEXT

Next time on Q&A Quest, we have a 40 hour show O_O
    Oh! When you said this one was "going to be a relatively short episode" but my playlist said 1.5 hrs, I did have to wonder ;)

Otherwise; is it bad that you said Final Fantasy Adventure had a sequel and I instantly thought of its Mobile port instead?
    I'm probably trying to repress Sword of Mana, or something... It added Legend of Mana mechanics for extra pointless grinding, right?!
    I kinda liked Sword of Mana. I also really liked Legend of Mana, so maybe that's just how I bend?

The mobile phone port was pretty good, too. Except for the intrinsic issues with the O-ring button controls.
    edited January 2016
    Has game length and backlogs diminished replayability as an important feature? How important do you think it was compared to now? non RPGs also considered.
    edited January 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and gaijin probably knows more of this, but isn't a lot of Japanese humor based on word play and puns. Which don't directly translate. I've always wondered about how translations deal with this, or if certain translations have to up or down play comedy.