If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 21: Ziggy Stardust and the Q&A from Mars - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited January 2016 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss the Metal Gear Solid series and remember the late David Bowie. We also compare and contrast Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XIII.

Episode 21: Ziggy Stardust and the Q&A from Mars - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 2016
    I'm halfway through the episode, and i just have to say you two put into words what I was trying to say about ff13 and ffx so well. It's interesting how there is the psychological level and how it can change experiences, and game design is shaped by nuances.

Bowie's ambient tracks of the Berlin trilogy, particularly Low would have mark a great video game soundtrack. But sure I would love to hear some Bowie talk. I think he also influenced a lot of Japanese visual bands. And some of those bands influenced character designs. Yoshitaka Amano always had some Bowie esque designs, even going as far as doing some official Bowie artwork. That thin androgonous look is there is a lot of Amano stuff.
    Question- There was a time when being an open world game was interesting for just being that. But it seems open world has become so common, that games can't just get by on that alone. I think fallout 4 might have been hurt by this. Also open world fatigue does set in. Do you think this is or isn't true, and what sort of things do open world games need to bring to the table to stand out?
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    First, much like you I did not realize how many Bowie songs I actually knew until I started going through his discography.

Second, did you see where an observatory in Europe designated an actual constellation for him?

Third, now that you mention it, Zangoose DOES look a bit like Ziggy.

Fourth, remember the Kaijuu RamPaGe game I made up for your Q&A reading enjoyment years back? If I ever did make it, it was always my firm intention of making the main character an astronaut named Major Thomm, and then have the opening sequence practically paraphrasing the song.

Finally, best Bowie tribute ever?

• Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    It's actually an asterism rather than a constellation, and there's nothing really official about it :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    If we want to get really technical, all "picture" constellations are also asterisms. And it sounds cooler this way.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    lolwhoops wrote: »

OHMYSOMUCHTEXT

Next time on Q&A Quest, we have a 40 hour show O_O

Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    You both mentioned the Ys series a while back. That was a series I had never played until some of the remakes were released on steam. What were your experiences with the series, and which game stands as your highlight.
  • First off, no I'm not Christopher Walken, just a Stephen King fan who walks a lot. I had the exact same experience of realising just how many Bowie songs I loved. So, what was Bowie's greatest influence on RPGs?

Also, would a Laberynth based RPG work?
    I also think Bowie was influenced by Asian theater, their costumes and makeup. So it almost becomes a circular influence.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited January 2016
    Wheels wrote: »
    lolwhoops wrote: »

OHMYSOMUCHTEXT

Next time on Q&A Quest, we have a 40 hour show O_O
    Oh! When you said this one was "going to be a relatively short episode" but my playlist said 1.5 hrs, I did have to wonder ;)

Otherwise; is it bad that you said Final Fantasy Adventure had a sequel and I instantly thought of its Mobile port instead?
    I'm probably trying to repress Sword of Mana, or something... It added Legend of Mana mechanics for extra pointless grinding, right?!
    I kinda liked Sword of Mana. I also really liked Legend of Mana, so maybe that's just how I bend?

The mobile phone port was pretty good, too. Except for the intrinsic issues with the O-ring button controls.
    edited January 2016
    Has game length and backlogs diminished replayability as an important feature? How important do you think it was compared to now? non RPGs also considered.
    edited January 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and gaijin probably knows more of this, but isn't a lot of Japanese humor based on word play and puns. Which don't directly translate. I've always wondered about how translations deal with this, or if certain translations have to up or down play comedy.