If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 373: "Banned from Punching"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 373: "Banned from Punching"

Anna Marie gets bribed. Chris gets a new MMO to play. Alice exchanges spaceships for duneships. Alex gets isometric. Jonathan learns how to fly.

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Trailers"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Questions of the Week:
What are the worst RPG Soundtracks?
179811.png

Comments

• bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited January 2016
    I hate being that guy but, just in case one of your listeners is actually interested... Civ Rev 1 was also released on iOS (and possibly Android), I have it on my iPad right here, though I will admit I have never played it (mostly because Civ games scare the hell out of me).

I should probably watch a Civ tutorial on Youtube or something at some point.

Also, funnily enough, according to Gamespot, Civ Rev 2+ was delayed again to 'later this year'.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Sadly, Kickstarter doesn't just have well-meaning people who underestimate what it takes to finish a project and fail. It also has outright con artists.

One notorious Kickstarter debacle is the Knights of the Dinner Table Live-Action series; this was meant to be a series of videos based on a long-running comic about quirky pen-and-paper roleplayers. The KoDT Live-Action series has earned the non-honor of having its very own KickScammed entry:

http://kickscammed.com/topic/knights-of-the-dinner-table-live-action-series-kodt-las

Problems like this are almost certainly why Kickstarter changed its rules.

Also, I dont recommend using the word "invest" in reference to Kickstarter. That's like calling slot machine money an "investment". Kickstarter's own rules make it crystal clear that backing a project cannot be an "investment"; backers cannot receive any shares of stock, or any legal ownership in the things they back.

Regarding the abominable soundtrack for Sonic Chronicles: the theory I read on the TV Tropes website is that the game was released in a late beta stage, because Bioware's contract with SEGA had just expired. The terrible music and sound effects are placeholders that were left in. I suspect the story of an intern deleting the "real" soundtrack is just an urban legend.

I do have two good things to say about the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack. First, the battle music is halfway decent. Second, the game has FOUR different themes for its regular battles, in addition to boss battle themes. I wish more RPGs cycled through multiple musical themes for their regular battles!

An example of an RPG with the opposite problem is the original Legend of Legaia. It has a wonderful soundtrack in general, but atrocious random battle music that becomes extremely tiresome by the end of the game.

As for the RPG with the worst soundtrack... I'll assume you're automatically excluding literally hundreds of early PC RPGs with no soundtrack at all, or almost no soundtrack.

I can't think of a "worst" RPG soundtrack, but I can think of a "most disappointing", and that's the redone soundtrack for the "Shin Megami Tensei Persona", the PSP remake of the first Persona game. I loved the soundtrack of the PSX release of the first Persona, and the redone songs for the SEBEC storyline feel slower, duller, or unnecessarily garbled compared to the original songs. I can't comment on the songs exclusive to the Snow Queen storyline.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    The investment isn't in the form of a monetary gain, but in being able to enjoy that game once it is made. You are investing money for a desired end result. You can call it a donation as well.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Listen to the show on a Sunday, wake up Monday morning to find out that Mighty No. 9 got delayed AGAIN. The irony is delicious.

I myself can't think of a really bad RPG soundtrack: even the likes of Secret of the Stars have soundtracks that are OK given the era. Then again, I've never played Beyond the Beyond so that's probably pretty far up the list.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Such a salty question... I like salt.. I mean really. MMM Salt. Dos HuniePop count, I don't like sweet, sweet cheesecake very much.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Beyond the Beyond has a pretty good soundtrack. It's made by Camelot, whose Golden Sun RPGs are also known for their quality soundtracks. It's other aspects of Beyond the Beyond that are flat-out terrible, especially the obnoxiously high random encounter rate.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I mostly can just think of a bunch of boring soundtracks. Usually the ones that go for the traditional lord of the rings style epic music. I find that style fitting but often forgettable.
  • Honestly, I think the note requiring Kickstarters to repay their backers for failed projects is a good thing. It protects the consumer from outright scams. I will admit it can hurt overly ambitious but otherwise honest companies, but that protection also encourages people to take more risks, which is good.

The only bad RPG soundtrack I can think of at the moment is the vocal tracks from Xenoblade Chronicles X. The instrumental tracks are average to spectacular, but the ones with significant vocals feel really weird and out of place. I don't know if they would even work in a Persona game.