If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 374: "Face Petting"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 374: "Face Petting"

Simon curls into a crescent. Anna Marie goes to make lunch. Alice finally delivers some missiles. Chris is hacking web games. And Alex plays Madden. Ok, so maybe we need February to arrive so we can get some RPG action going on here.

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Trailers"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What RPG will you buy in February?
179811.png

Comments

• severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Kirk Cousins update: he broke his collarbone in the first game after the podcast record so now I'm stuck deciding between who Tyrod Taylor, Alex Tanney, and John Steward (random game-generated sixth-round rookie) will fill the gap ¬_¬
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Nice surprise for me since you mentioned no podcast this week.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    nsvZZAZ.png
    yyizBQ8.png

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, CHRIS?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    QotW: Project X Zone 2, Fire Emblem Fates (LE), and Breath of Fire III.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    QotW: only getting 2 games in February (still too busy trying to catch up with stuff released in December: Xenoblade X, Yakuza 5, Trails of Cold Steel) Gravity Rush Remastered because I loved that game on Vita and I'll support it however Sony will let me and Fire Emblem Fates (LE) because I needs all the Fire Emblem.

On the "Face petting," I agree that the mechanic sounds weird, but I'll be bummed if Nintendo has completely excised it from the game. The small bits of story interaction between the characters was the best part of Awakening and I'd hate to see that missing in Fates.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I received a New 3DS XL as an unexpected and treasured gift, so the game I bought for February is the only one exclusive to the system: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. The Wii version has been sitting in my backlog because I prefer portable gaming, but I'm going to prioritize the New 3DS version as soon as I finish Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.

I'm a few hours into Paper Jam, and so far it is just as awesome as every other game in the M&L series. It also makes me nostalgic for Paper Mario games. I hope the rumor of a brand new Paper Mario game coming to the Wii U isn't made-up internet fluff.

I already own a physical copy of Breath of Fire III for the PSP; the European PSP UMD is supposed to play on US PSPs just fine. Alas, the bygone days of region freedom.

Does RPGcast announce RPG sales and price cuts consistently, or just occasionally? The Magic Hammer is currently on sale on the 3DS eshop in US. It also has a demo to try out. The sale price is so low that The Magic Hammer will probably be the other game I buy in February, unless I really hate the demo.

Finally, I'm a little bummed that Imageepoch went bankrupt, and would like to hear any comments you have to say about that situation. (Two of their games, Criminal Girls & Stella Glow, have recently been discussed on the RPGCast.)
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    I received a New 3DS XL as an unexpected and treasured gift, so the game I bought for February is the only one exclusive to the system: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

I thought the New 3DS version of Xenoblade was pretty awesome; it was amazing that they were able to cram that giant game onto a portable without that many compromises. You will enjoy it.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited February 2016
    I think the misconception of being able to touch the characters in Fire Emblem Fates from the waist up came from statements made by Intelligent Systems. Some of the devs wanted to have petting from the waist up while others didn't want "FE-amie" in the game at all. Nintendo had to step in and suggest a compromise--the face-only petting.

Honestly, I don't care either way if the mini game was left in or not. I thought it was a dumb idea to begin with, and the fact that it's referred to as "skinship" in the Japanese version makes it sound creepier than it apparently is. It has been confirmed by Polygon that the dialogue and character animations for skinship are still in the game and localized. The Avatar just speaks to the character in her/his room and the get the support increase, no petting involved.

Oh and what do you know: the game I'm most eager to buy this month is Fire Emblem Fates! I managed to score the special edition. I'll also be getting Project X Zone 2, though I don't know when I"ll start that...haven't even started the first game, heh.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited February 2016
    Quin wrote: »
    nsvZZAZ.png
    yyizBQ8.png

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, CHRIS?

This could almost be abstract art from a distant glance. So much going on.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    So in regards to the petting mini-game, it seems Nintendo split the difference: the event, its full dialogue, and the relationship increase it brings is in -- but the "skinship" is out, so no actual petting.
    edited February 2016
    I'm on the team of bringing the game over as it was developed.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    As someone who's played the Japanese version of the game I can assure you all the petting game is complete trash. The Western version is automatically the best version for not having it.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    If I can't
    stab my waifu in the eyeball with my stylus
    , why bother getting the game?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Paws wrote: »
    If I can't
    stab my waifu in the eyeball with my stylus
    , why bother getting the game?

I mean you can still totally do that technically it just won't be tied to some lame mini-game!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    If the developers decided the mechanic isn't fun, and the game would just be better by giving you the dialogue without the mechanic, then this is a good choice.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    Maybe to appease their fanbase, Nintendo should make the next Fire Emblem cross-over game be: Fire Emblem X Nintendogs + cats. Where you choose to join an army of armoured dogs & cats, then have strategic conquest battles, the petting mini-games, emotional decisions and maybe even take your Pegasus Knight on walkies. ;)

For February I am planning to buy Bravely Second. And I am just awaiting my pre-order of The Legend of Legacy, which I wanted as I haven't actually played a SaGa game despite likely FF2.

Talking about FF2 I am also gotten that for free, as Square-enix is giving it away. A bit too late to mention it on next week's podcast though, as it's only until the 14th.