If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 22: Saturday Morning Cartoon Quest - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we talk about the history of Tom Clancy games for some reason. We also have details about a Saturday Morning RPG giveaway.

Episode 22: Saturday Morning Cartoon Quest - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Just a note: iTunes isn't seeing the show, you'll have to go to the direct link for now.

---

So you want a Saturday morning RPG... would Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue count? I'm thinking something similar to South Park: Stick of Truth in that you play as Corey and can switch your support between the Muppet Babies, Chipmunks, Turtles, etc for various attacks in real time. You could even expand the universe so that you actually get inventions from Wile E Coyote, or maybe get melee combat training from Master Splinter.

The story has you fighting various types of drug users, "bad influences" and so on to rescue Michael and get your money back from an evil drug kingpin. For bonus accuracy, the game's attract mode will include the classic "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen that was in every late 80s arcade game.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 2016
    Panzer dragoon Saga? Any thought on this game? It's heralded by the few who played it as an all time classic, but it's often forgotten. I need to play this.

Also on that note, do you think rare or unavailable games get more hype because of that? Like a sort of holy grail rpg and their legend grows because of it.
    Which console do you think looked the coolest? And which one did you not like the look of? While we're on the same subject, what is your favorite rpg box art?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    rss should be fixed, I'll verify it is showing up on itunes now. (By fixed I mean I actually uploaded the updated one this time)

I've already bungled the year on one episode this year (that's why 21 initially didn't show up as new) so I apologize! To make up for, a third prize of a copy of Ocarina of Time for GameCube will be given out as well (disc only).
    sig.gif
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I've played through Panzer Dragoon Saga, and there is something special there. The battle system is turn-based but goes to great lengths to make you feel like you're fighting on the back of a dragon. I haven't seen anything like it before or since. The music and story are also above average.

Whether it's worth its hefty price tag is more iffy, but you can always eBay your copy when you're done to get some of your money back, Today I see fancy collector's edition RPGs selling for $80-90. Heck, I recently pre-ordered the digital deluxe version of World of Warcraft: Legion for $70. That's only a little less than Panzer Dragoon Saga ultimately cost me to play.

It's worth tracking down and playing if you love dragons. :)
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Nice, I have been playing a bunch of R6 Siege and I played the Division beta. A fan of Destiny should look into the Division.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    saturday morning cartoon pitch: Years ago, in a far away land, a great martial artist struggles under the oppressive head of his house. Desiring a life outside of the life of a warrior, he befriends a ninjitsu student and begins to learn the way of the shadows. But, his trust and friendship was betrayed and his life was thrown into chaos when his friend and rival killed his father. His friend then fled the country, went into hiding, and began to teach others.

But he could not stay hidden forever. Now the betrayer will answer for his crimes.

Oroku Saki: The Splinter of Hate
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Nice, I have been playing a bunch of R6 Siege and I played the Division beta. A fan of Destiny should look into the Division.

You playing on Xbox PS4 or PC?
    sig.gif
  • Now that DQVII is finally coming stateside (woo!), what's the next big "trapped in Japan" RPG?
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »

PC of course
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2016
    If I were to make an entry for the contest (already have it on PC so I don't need the game), I'd probably try to come up with something cool based on TMNT or Back to the Future (there was a cartoon in the early 90s..). What I wouldn't give for a proper, well made RPG of either of those. Or a Lego game for either. I'm not picky.

Actually, I just had a flash in my mind about how awesome a M.A.S.K. RPG could be.
    Now that DQVII is finally coming stateside (woo!), what's the next big "trapped in Japan" RPG?

I'd say Mother 3, but the rumors seem to be that will not be the case long. There's also DQX, for a small group of diehard DQ and MMO fans (among a bunch of other 3DS DQs). I think there's a Phantasy Star game people have been wanting for a long time. An older cut would be Seiken Densetsu 3. There's a group of fanatics demanding Tales of Vesperia PS3, despite the 360 version being fine and already here.

But I'd be interested in what Wheels has to say on this too.

PC of course

Dang, not sure if my computer can handle SIEGE. Need peeps to play with.
    smacd wrote: »
    But I'd be interested in what Wheels has to say on this too.

We'll talk this for sure on the next episode, but I'd say the popular answer would be something with "Super" and "Robot" in the title.
    sig.gif
    Now that DQVII is finally coming stateside (woo!), what's the next big "trapped in Japan" RPG?

Unchained Blades ReXX :(

Okay, that's more like a "small" or "no one cares about this game but me" RPG trapped in Japan.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    Victar wrote: »

Okay, that's more like a "small" or "no one cares about this game but me" RPG trapped in Japan.

If you've got a Japanese 3DS, I'd be more than happy to sell off my copy for a decent price.

--- assuming you mean Unchained Blades EXXiV there, since ReXX did get a western release.

Shining force 3 complete has to be up there too.
    edited February 2016
    I don't have a ps4 or vita yet, so my entry shouldn't count but I thought it would be fun anyways.

Mine would be a He-man rpg side scroller. It would be arcade like, but you would have the choice of he-man, she-ra, man of arms. You would go through levels in a brawler way, collecting exp, and spending it on weapon and ability upgrades. With your panther being a big a special ability. But what would make it interesting, you could also play as the villains. Skeletor and his bunch would have their own levels and story lines( all done in cheesy 80s fashion) and once you complete the game you could play each other's levels as the other side. Grayscale and skeletors palace would be end levels on each side.

Think dragons crown or guardian heroes.
    Budai wrote: »
    I don't have a ps4 or vita yet, so my entry shouldn't count but I thought it would be fun anyways.

Do you have a gamecube or wii?
    sig.gif

If you've got a Japanese 3DS, I'd be more than happy to sell off my copy for a decent price.

--- assuming you mean Unchained Blades EXXiV there, since ReXX did get a western release.

Sorry, I meant the sequel to Unchained Blades ReXX. If I were immortal I might take the time to learn Japanese in order to play imported RPGs, but life is too short and my backlog is too big.
    Budai wrote: »

Do you have a gamecube or wii?

Yes I have both, so if you're really giving Zelda as a reward, I would like to be in that drawing.

Sorry, I meant the sequel to Unchained Blades ReXX. If I were immortal I might take the time to learn Japanese in order to play imported RPGs, but life is too short and my backlog is too big.

And honestly, life is too short to be spent in EXXiV's huge dungeons >_<
    edited February 2016
    Which would you rather have-

-A remade xenogears, with graphics like the original artwork and restored second disc content, and top end translation.

-A super version of xenoblade(wii)for the next Nintendo console, with added content and graphical fidelity of ff15 or better.

-Or a remastered collection of all the Xenosaga games on one ps4 disc. Where the character designs were redone to be consistent through all three games.
    What is a common mechanic in RPGs or games in general that you dislike personally?
    Last call for entries for the Saturday Morning RPG giveaway! Pitch as an RPG based on your favorite Saturday Morning Cartoon.
    sig.gif
    Will be picking winners this evening
    sig.gif
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Just for giggles, the only correct response for a Saturday morning based RPG is Thundercats. It's already halfway there with character classes: sword warrior, nimble rogues, staff and nunchuck users. Tons of sentient races, ancient magics, epic bosses, and bumbling underlings. Toss that in with an upgradable base and a terrain devouring vehicle and you're all set.
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    Short answer would be a Voltron RPG in the vein of Xenogears where there's human combat and gear style combat!
    CofLSilk wrote: »
    Just for giggles, the only correct response for a Saturday morning based RPG is Thundercats. It's already halfway there with character classes: sword warrior, nimble rogues, staff and nunchuck users. Tons of sentient races, ancient magics, epic bosses, and bumbling underlings. Toss that in with an upgradable base and a terrain devouring vehicle and you're all set.

And the show did have some rad vehicles. The panther mobile with the cat head and claws on both sides was a cool one.
    Araya wrote: »
    Short answer would be a Voltron RPG in the vein of Xenogears where there's human combat and gear style combat!

As I recall, Xenogears even had a combiner mecha team with a very Voltron-esque assembly sequence.