If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 159: Twice a Dragon's Age

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Inquisition came a middle game that doesn't get much love. Whether it deserves attention in spite of its shortcomings is the subject on this episode.
Idiots have overpopulated the game world.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I usually don't do it, but I actually skipped this one and went straight into inquisition. I guess when I do play it, it will be sort of like a prequel to me.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Hmm. Podcast seems to cut out early, just as Phil starts talking about THE deadly tower of monsters and this VHS filter option.

Anyway, as for the topic, DA2 was one of the last games I pre-ordered, and I avoid pre-ordering games because of that as I was incredibly disappointed with it (I only pre-order now if its Dragon Quest, The Elder Scrolls or Fallout). Its one of several reasons I have decided to no longer purchase Bioware games at all any more as well. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    I usually don't do it, but I actually skipped this one and went straight into inquisition. I guess when I do play it, it will be sort of like a prequel to me.

as the cheap (i assume you're getting this for under $20) prequel game to Inquisition it actually kind of works.
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited February 2016
    Whoaaa! Just got to the final lap again. I hope I didnt offend anyone with my comment on the last backtrack. I realize it was a bit of a thing, but I wasn't really angry, or trying to insult anyone. The length was mostly just trying to be thorough, because I believe you mentioned in the cast that none of the casters had played the character, so I was trying to put in as much detail not specific that character as possible, and admittedly,playing up the "peeved fan" character.
    Really, sorry if anyone felt attacked, that wasnt my intention, and i'll try to be more careful about it. The lack of sleep part was true though, that probably didn't help me remain coherent.:(
    The part about being peeved at not getting an invite to play was a joke, and certainly not an expectation that I should be on the podcast. When I originally offered to play,it was mostly because I figured there would be space in game,and I knew how annoying certain parts of BL2 gets when you play it solo.
    Really, really didnt mean to upset anyone(Edit:Or come off as belligerent as I seemed to be, on second read), I know that can be a problem around here,and should have given my post a second read to check how it might have come across.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    Yer good, TM....we love the fact you take the time to write! Listen to our next one for a fuller response :)

And, Smacd, I'll look into the file and see if I can figure out what's wrong..THANK YOU for the head's up! And, Yeah.. you know I agree about that pre order idea :)

UPDATE: Ok...I listened to my MP3 file that I uploaded, and I got through the tower of monsters and later talk about Metacritic with no problem. Then I looked online and saw the issue...partial file corruption. I am reuploading now. My apologies. Tis a shame, too, as I felt my rant about Metacritic was very edumacational!! :)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 2016

as the cheap (i assume you're getting this for under $20) prequel game to Inquisition it actually kind of works.

I have it and it was cheap, like 6 dollars cheap. Cassandra was my romance and varric was my right hand dwarf. Only thing is hawke was a Mage in inquisition without any carry over, and I think I'll probably go warrior. Meh, I don't expect much from this game, but I still think the lore and character conversation will be interesting. And that's all I want from it at this point, since it's a shorter game compared to some.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff

I have it and it was cheap, like 6 dollars cheap. Cassandra was my romance and varric was my right hand dwarf. Only thing is hawke was a Mage in inquisition without any carry over, and I think I'll probably go warrior. Meh, I don't expect much from this game, but I still think the lore and character conversation will be interesting. And that's all I want from it at this point, since it's a shorter game compared to some.

Yup! Sounds perfect. And, really, for $6, a game that does this is a great deal. Now, I can see why people who paid $60 expected a full sequel to DAO were a bit...cranky. And given what I learned from the show, sounds like they had some right to be. But, nowadays, as a very cheap short prequel to the critically acclaimed Dragon Age Inquisition, it sounds like it works just perfectly for that!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    JCServant wrote: »
    And, Smacd, I'll look into the file and see if I can figure out what's wrong..THANK YOU for the head's up! And, Yeah.. you know I agree about that pre order idea :)

UPDATE: Ok...I listened to my MP3 file that I uploaded, and I got through the tower of monsters and later talk about Metacritic with no problem. Then I looked online and saw the issue...partial file corruption. I am reuploading now. My apologies. Tis a shame, too, as I felt my rant about Metacritic was very edumacational!! :)

It was a good last few minutes, thanks for the fix!
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    Ugh, just, so embarrassed.
    Moving on, Im one of those people who skpped DA2, and went straight to Inquisition.
    And on the 360 version which is...yeah.
    So double embarresed
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    just be careful with your capslock and exclamation points...and cross gen purchases when the engine in question needs way way more than 256 megs of RAM to run it.