If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 160: Triskaidekaphobia

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Few series make it to thirteen numbered entries, but Final Fantasy succeeded. The first installment with that number in its title has occasioned a lot of discussion over the years, and we're here to add some more.
Punching Snow is fun!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Cool, I'm going to take a walk around the neighborhood and listen to this later today. Nice to get two episodes back to back.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Loved the show, as always. I thought the battle system of FF13 relied heavily on staggering enemies? As in, you do pathetic damage if you don't stagger them? But I haven't played it yet, so I don't know.

Pretty much the entire universe of Might & Magic RPGs and Heroes of Might & Magic strategy games have a sci-fi theme underlying the apparent fantasy worlds. Many of the RPGs end on a spaceship. "Demons" in those games are actually destructive aliens, as I understand it.

To Michael Baker: What is the DS RPG that became unwinnable because it locked you out equipment upgrades? You've written 90 reviews on RPGamer and there's no on-site way to sort them by date or video game platform. My options are to read 90 reviews or ask you directly. (I am 99% certain I am addressing the correct Michael; apologies if I am not. :)
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Cross Treasures. It was designed heavily with friend crossplay in mind, so it expected you to have friends who specialized in other smithing types. I went with weapons, so I had those all the way up to the materiel limit (i.e. stuff needing stuff from the post-game dungeon, around lvl. 70 or so), but as far as armor, shields, and accessories went... Cut off at level 40.

Co-op play probably would have made the final boss more winnable as well, not to mention giving me a chance to unlock those crossplay dungeons every five floors.

I still rated it a fairly good game, but I had to stress how important it was to have a friend along to enjoy it properly.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    Loved the show, as always. I thought the battle system of FF13 relied heavily on staggering enemies? As in, you do pathetic damage if you don't stagger them? But I haven't played it yet, so I don't know.

I can't believe we forgot to mention that. Yeah it's a big part of the game, though mostly for bosses.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Oh yeah, I was going to talk about the giant turtles in Gran Pulse, then got completely side-tracked...
    edited February 2016
    Phil, I played the first earth defense force on the 360. I will vouch for that game. It was pure gameplay, and what you were saying about the style of the game feels low budget, but it just works thematically. Almost arcade like in fashion. The game doesn't try to fancy up the fact that it's not a video game if makes sense.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    Ouch. Good catch. Make and I will have to go over this on the Final Lap segment of the next show. That's fine...from what I understand, Mike has put a bit more time into the game and wishes to share more sentiments.
    Budai wrote: »
    Phil, I played the first earth defense force on the 360. I will vouch for that game. It was pure gameplay, and what you were saying about the style of the game feels low budget, but it just works thematically. Almost arcade like in fashion. The game doesn't try to fancy up the fact that it's not a video game if makes sense.
    Indeed. It kinda reminds me of wrestling (I'm a huge fan of, btw). The best wrestlers are those who play roles of characters that tap into some part of their own personality. This makes their in ring characters feel more natural and relatable (even the bad guys). This helps to pull us into story lines and get us emotionally involved. However, some of them just try too hard to channel something they clearly are not. It's like a bad actor in an otherwise bad film, and it can break immersion and enjoyment of the experience. The funny thing is, much like the video game industry, the boss(es) of WWE will often push the taller, stronger, shinier wrestlers who try too hard over those we actually relate to, because they don't have "the look." I believe, often, the game industry and game critics do the exact same thing, and I offer EDF as exhibit "A" :pensive:
    JCServant wrote: »
    Indeed. It kinda reminds me of wrestling (I'm a huge fan of, btw). The best wrestlers are those who play roles of characters that tap into some part of their own personality. This makes their in ring characters feel more natural and relatable (even the bad guys). This helps to pull us into story lines and get us emotionally involved. However, some of them just try too hard to channel something they clearly are not. It's like a bad actor in an otherwise bad film, and it can break immersion and enjoyment of the experience. The funny thing is, much like the video game industry, the boss(es) of WWE will often push the taller, stronger, shinier wrestlers who try too hard over those we actually relate to, because they don't have "the look." I believe, often, the game industry and game critics do the exact same thing, and I offer EDF as exhibit "A" :pensive:

To take that comparison further, companies/WWE heads are often looking for the "safe bets" as far as major stars that will be big merch sellers and a great face for the brand. Video game companies have an easier time with this, because if say "open world RPGs" are the big thing, that still actually leaves in insane amount of creative freedom even if they are just going after the safe bet. Wrestling is a totally different animal because a Wrestler's popularity is way more organic, and sometimes unpredictable (and intersects with real life in strange ways). I mean if you look back at the whole Daniel Bryan story leading up to Wrestlemania 30 they used the very notion WWE was n't pushing fan favorites to craft an AMAZING story and great finish (were they playing us the whole time?) which is why as much as WWE seems to bungle pushing they're most talented stars, it's impossible for me not to keep following along. There's nothing quite like wrestling (we need a Wrestling RPG damn it).
    sig.gif
    edited February 2016
    There is a lot of potential for that with creating a custom wrestler and the story lines. It would be fun with a conversation wheel and branching story lines. Also downloadable campaigns that commissioners have made, or even online leagues modes.
    Wheels wrote: »
    To take that comparison further, companies/WWE heads are often looking for the "safe bets" as far as major stars that will be big merch sellers and a great face for the brand. Video game companies have an easier time with this, because if say "open world RPGs" are the big thing, that still actually leaves in insane amount of creative freedom even if they are just going after the safe bet. Wrestling is a totally different animal because a Wrestler's popularity is way more organic, and sometimes unpredictable (and intersects with real life in strange ways). I mean if you look back at the whole Daniel Bryan story leading up to Wrestlemania 30 they used the very notion WWE was n't pushing fan favorites to craft an AMAZING story and great finish (were they playing us the whole time?) which is why as much as WWE seems to bungle pushing they're most talented stars, it's impossible for me not to keep following along. There's nothing quite like wrestling (we need a Wrestling RPG damn it).

Agreed! I just go through reading one of Shawn Michael's books...and the blending of his real life, faith, career and relationships is like nothing else. Reliving those moments I saw on TV, but through his mind eye, gives a great perspective to the whole thing.

Yeah...there just HAS to be a great RPG idea in all of this!!
    When I was a kid, my dad took me to a live wwf event and Shawn Michaels was part of the rockers. That was also the show I saw the ultimate warrior vs Andre the giant, and the show was that the warrior got in a cheap shop on Andre at the start of the match, and Andre was argued with the ref. I also remember hacksaw Jim Duggan and the million dollar man were there. Good times.
    Yeah...I loved the rockers. They were ahead of their time, IMHO...a tag team that really worked together. The fact they were lighters, faster and did more areal moves than the vast majority of people back then also endeared them. It really tore me up when Shawn kicked Marty through the glass window on the Barber Shop interview. That was one of the reasons I stopped watching. :P Later, when I picked it back up, I learned about the Monteral Screwjob, and his involvement there. Part of that was learning WHY Brett didn't want to drop the belt to him so bad...and boy...now I understand. Anyways, learning how they eventually reconciled (through the book I mentioned above) was great...like the closing chapter on a great story/legend. I have to say, I like him again and cannot wait to catch up on some of his matches that I missed from the 2nd half of his career.
    There's nothing quite like wrestling (we need a Wrestling RPG damn it).

Well, there IS Hero Bank. I should get that some day, just to see how the plot line matches up with the prizefighting aesthetic.
    There's nothing quite like wrestling (we need a Wrestling RPG damn it).

Well, there IS Hero Bank. I should get that some day, just to see how the plot line matches up with the prizefighting aesthetic.

You should get it to it, and then let me know how import friendly it is!
    sig.gif