If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Article about a man and his Backlog

TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan MemberFull Members
edited February 2016 in Miscellaneous Gaming
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/coming-to-terms-with-my-game-backlog/ar-BBpCoMC?ocid=spartanntp

Saw this one through my new feeds and thought I'd share it. How do some of you handle tackling your backlog?

edit: (whomever moved this shoulda read the article as it was specifically aimed at only RPGS and comments about them)
sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

Comments

• jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I'm fairly similar to the guy in the article, though I've ditched the spreadsheet in favor of just using howlongtobeat.com to keep up with what's in the backlog, what's in progress, and what's been ditched after a good faith effort. Also, I like having the knowledge of how much longer a game is in determining whether to push through a rough patch in a game or just drop it (I like to complete games but life is too short entertainment that isn't fun). Also, I've taken to using faqr on my tablet for gamefaqs because it saves your position in the FAQ making it easier to come back after a long layoff. Lots of older games are not friendly in telling you what you were doing when you left off and having a place in a FAQ saved makes it easy to read a bit and catch up on what I was doing.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I take my backlog in the same way as that old saying- how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

The math says that at the current rate I buy games, if I play to finish all of them, I'll be around 80 years old when I finish my backlog. It wont ever happen, but.. hey I'll have a good time in the meantime. And when I retire, I'll probably have a lot more time for gaming.

But like jscarpe, I use HLTB as a rough benchmark for understanding my backlog. I often try to play several short games between long ones, just to get some change and to know down the # of games on the backlog number.