If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 376: "Game of the Year 2015"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 376: "Game of the Year 2015"

Adriaan, Glenn, and Sam join Chris to talk about the best and worst of 2015. Many battles are fought. Many victories won. But only one champion is crowned. All hail Rhonda.

You can find the Results of the discussion here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19CdqKGajN16y6KerIt3L30daseOxa8q1xRiO2ZWkS4o/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Game of the Year 2015"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What was your game of the year?
179811.png

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    This was great entertaining episodes from all host. Just wish paws was there(more than just some background thoughts)
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    Was this a special stream? It didn't seem to be recorded at the usual time.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Yes. We recorded it Thursday and I don't think Chris streamed it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    This was great entertaining episodes from all host. Just wish paws was there(more than just some background thoughts)

I don't review games any more, since there's always a question of what's a conflict of interest because of my job. We also try to aim for people who usually aren't on the regular RPGCast for the GOTY cast :)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    Adriaan I was totally with you about Xenoblade Chronicles sucking until I finally played all the way through it. Won me over.

Disgaea 5 still sucks.

I did not hype FF Explorers! I warned you all! WARNED YOU
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • I want Adriaan to say more about why he dislikes Nintendo's "censorship". The stuff they've cut out had either no effect on the gameplay, or shouldn't have been in there in the first place. I have no issue with bust sliders or bikini costumes, and don't actually care either way. And the petting minigame in Fire Emblem is weird and awkward, and never should have been in there in the first place. I'm not offended by those things being in there, and I'm not offended by them being taken out. I'm mostly concerned by people caring so much about them. I have had the experience that people who loudly decry "censorship" generally hold other opinions I tend to disagree with, and have a hard time supporting. I am not accusing Adriaan of holding these opinions, but I want to hear more about why he cares so much about such minor changes.
    you know your petting game is garbage when I can safely say they could have taken pointers from Valhalla Knights 3.
    sig.gif
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    I want Adriaan to say more about why he dislikes Nintendo's "censorship". The stuff they've cut out had either no effect on the gameplay, or shouldn't have been in there in the first place. I have no issue with bust sliders or bikini costumes, and don't actually care either way. And the petting minigame in Fire Emblem is weird and awkward, and never should have been in there in the first place. I'm not offended by those things being in there, and I'm not offended by them being taken out. I'm mostly concerned by people caring so much about them. I have had the experience that people who loudly decry "censorship" generally hold other opinions I tend to disagree with, and have a hard time supporting. I am not accusing Adriaan of holding these opinions, but I want to hear more about why he cares so much about such minor changes.

First of all, putting censorship in quotations is silly. It is censorship. It absolutely is. The argument that censorship can only be performed by the government is bunk.

From the ACLU (https://www.aclu.org/what-censorship): "Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. Censorship by the government is unconstitutional." There's a lot of information on that page.

At the end of the day, the biggest issue is who gets to decide what's offensive? Who gets to pick and choose what stays and what goes? Do your moral tastes override my own? Do we start censoring games that depict Christianity in a bad light? There goes the SMT series. Do we start listening to the people who are offended by violent images? There goes... well, like half the gaming industry. EVERYTHING is offensive to somebody, and once you start censoring stuff based on one group's moral outrage, it opens the floodgates. Right now we've come full circle to the PC days of the mid-90s, only this time it's not violence and curse words that are the target, it's sex. Gamers fought like hell to protect their hobby back then, and it's absolutely baffling to me that not only are they not fighting back now, they're actually SUPPORTING it. It's incredibly short-sighted.

And if you think I'm being paranoid, consider some of these wonderful highlights that have been in the news recently. A Hindu pressure group tried to convince Atlus Japan to remove Krishna from SMT4 Final. Thankfully Atlus told them to shove it. The UN is trying to convince the Japanese government to ban the sale of sexually explicit games and comics. Students at the University of Cape Town tore paintings off the wall, tossed them in a pile, and BURNED THEM. This stuff is happening CONSTANTLY. I hear about something like this on a weekly basis. These aren't one-off happenings, it's a trend. And these trends are how government-mandated censorship begins.

This kind of crap is why Fahrenheit 451 ought to be required reading in schools.

“It didn't come from the Government down. There was no dictum, no declaration, no censorship, to start with, no! Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God.” - Ray Bradbury
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    The word censorship applies to remove potentially offensive regardless of who does it. It's practiced in almost everything media-wise, in this case it's self-censorship as Nintendo itself chose to take it out (getting close to where the line between editing/localisation and self-censorship is blurry). I personally agree that this seems an odd thing to begin a crusade on and couldn't care about this particular thing in the slightest, but whatever; Nintendo can edit its content if it feels that's its best option, Adriaan can complain about it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Here's the problem with the scene that was removed from Fire Emblem Fates as I see: As far as I can tell the scene is intended to be light-hearted/ funny, and probably comes off that way in Japan. No way in heck is that the case here, so the scene had to be removed or changed to prevent presenting characters in an unintended insidious light.

Localization is change. Stuff like this happens.

As for the petting mini-game, there's literally pretty much nothing sexual about it. It's utter trash. Like complete and utter pointless nonsense. In the Japanese version it felt INCREDIBLY out of place. I'm beyond shocked it made it past Nintendo's quality control. The instances of it they did leave in sound like how it should have been used to begin with. This is an important thing to remind people of as well, there ARE still instances of it in the game.

Censorship is dangerous, but so is trying to cast simple localization changes in an undeserved insidious light.
    sig.gif
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I looked up an article about the Cape Town University painting burnings. It's horrifying, especially because human history has shown that burning/destroying property tends to escalate into murdering people.

However, comparing the criminal vandalization of private or public property to a video game company's internal and completely legal decision to censor their own work is a terrible analogy. The two situations have nothing in common with each other. Cutting a petting minigame isn't going to escalate into real-life bloodshed.

I loved the incredibly funny podcast. My favorite part was the "YOU'RE ALL WRONG!" awards.
  • I'm gonna respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it. It does seem like you're overly concerned about it, but that's your right. Besides, this censorship is nothing new, and less than it was in the NES/SNES era, when Nintendo cut out every religious reference, no matter how innocuous. I just don't see how this is a dangerous precident.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 2016
    You do make a good point about what is offensive and what isn't. Violence in particular could be seen as the most offensive to certain people, but has never truly had the clout sexuality always has.
    Wheels wrote: »
    Adriaan I was totally with you about Xenoblade Chronicles sucking until I finally played all the way through it. Won me over.

Disgaea 5 still sucks.

I did not hype FF Explorers! I warned you all! WARNED YOU

I noticed that too actually when they were talking about explorers and they said wheels vouched for it. I was like lol nope!
  • The self-censorship debate reminded me of about a year ago, when Blizzard changed the name of a submarine in World of Warcraft from "Tyrande's Silence" (a reference to one of her abilities) to something they deemed less offensive. It's worth pointing out that there was never any outcry over the original name of the sub, but because they feared that they might end up "Offending people for no reason" they changed the name.

That said, the moment I heard about the skinship mini-game in Fire Emblem Fates, I knew that it would never see light of day in the west.
    edited February 2016
    That said, the moment I heard about the skinship mini-game in Fire Emblem Fates, I knew that it would never see light of day in the west.

There's really nothing potentially offense about it, it's super tame, at least from what I saw when playing the Japanese version. It was just, literally, the worst mini-game I have ever seen Nintendo produce.

I remember sitting there rubbing a character's brooch with my stylus and seriously questioning my life choices.
    sig.gif
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members

There's really nothing potentially offense about it, it's super tame, at least from what I saw when playing the Japanese version. It was just, literally, the worst mini-game I have ever seen Nintendo produce.

I remember sitting there rubbing a character's brooch with my stylus and seriously questioning my life choices.

Is it the same amount of dialog between the Japanese and American versions of "petting?" The dialog in the American version seems short and inane; I was expecting a little bit of back and forth between the characters.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    Some voices were cut from the feature formerly known as "skinship," but they're apparently more sound effects than actual dialogue.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Some voices were cut from the feature formerly known as "skinship," but they're apparently more sound effects than actual dialogue.

I don't recall any dialogue in it to be honest beyond simple approving/disapproving sounds.
    sig.gif
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members

And this is the same company that produced ten Mario Party games and whatever the hell Amiibo Festival is, folks.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    Chris REALLY needs to play Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition, properly patched it is the best port of the DC original the PC could ask for. G2 would OBVIOUSLY be my SE Remake Award nomine I need to make a podcast to discuss my little imaginary award -_-e.