If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 23: The Age of Fatso - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss hilariously bad localizations of anime. We also discuss the shrinking list of RPGs stuck in Japan.

Episode 23: The Age of Fatso - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• What are your thoughts on Fire Emblem Fates? Especially the fan service-y parts. They just feel super weird and out-of-place to me. I can't even figure out the gameplay purpose to the hot springs.
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Thanks for another entertaining episode! It made my evening at the gym more interesting that it should have been!

A few thoughts: I did try to emulate Panzer Dragoon Saga last year. I ran into an issue with SSF in the first disc. I then switched to Yabauze and, while it had some minor graphical glitches, I did make it all the way to disc 2. I can't remember why I stopped (I probably started playing something with a higher polygon count), but I really enjoyed what I played, despite the game being painful to watch on a 52-inch TV screen. I bet it would be awesome on the Vita. I keep hoping Sega will remake it but, considering the source code (and probably the art assets) has been lost, there's little chance of that. While I was playing it, I kept thinking 'Maybe I should put a team of volunteers together and remake it in Unity or something?', but then realized that this would be another one of my projects that would go nowhere and I dropped the idea.

Regarding the list of games stuck in Japan, the only recent example I can think of was Exist Archive, which I believe has not been announced for localization yet by anybody. Slightly older examples on mostly dead platforms: Sakura Taisen 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which, funnily enough, was apparently developed by Media.Vision, a developer that did come up in today's episode).

I agree that Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was the best version of MH3. The issue I had with playing the HD version was grinding for parts: It was hard to know if I had gotten the part I needed or not. Also the integrated version of Ad-hoc party was kind of horrible, but at least it was there. Are the servers still up?
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I agree that the list of RPGs stuck in Japan is definitely shrinking. The one notable game that didn't come out of Japan that is considered good is Valkyria Chronicles 3 (I own it but have not played it yet). Otherwise the stuck in Japan list of more modern times mostly tilts towards PSP games - some that were solid efforts like Sol Trigger, some remakes like Growlanser, and some bad stuff like the Shining PSP games. The Trails in the Sky series is its own problem, of course.

I actually don't have a question right now, but I suppose that's not a problem since you have a question backlog :smile:
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 2016
    I remember mentioning something about sega and their unwillingness to make a traditional follow up to both shining force and phantasy star. Paws mentioned Camelot being an issue, but you would think they would try it on their own without them.

Speaking of Camelot, did anyone ever play the Mario golf on the gba that rpg elements. It has a good reputation, I never played it.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    First, yes to Beyond the Labyrinth and Metal Max 4 as the wish-you-got games of the 3DS generation.

Second, no, you aren't the only one to be highly disappointed with Bravely Default. I've written on this before.

And Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 & 3 weren't half bad. TotW: Summoner's Lineage was awful. Need to get TotW: Reve Unitia for cheap sometime to see if it builds on the demo I played.
    edited February 2016
    This might get a little deep but hopefully I can articulate it. There was an element to older rpgs and those who played them as they were released. For instance I played ff6 and chrono trigger on their release. Now I also had the official artwork to go along with the games. Since the games were simply designed on screen, I also had my imagination to fill in the dots. I could see sprites but I could also imagine the art work. This may sound strange, but with realistic graphics I feel like what is happening is what I'm getting on screen. There is no extra thought and imagination. I use to be able to imagine terra and Locke attacking, but now I only see cgi characters. And my images of them fighting are still better than than what cgi can do. In a weird way this has taken a way a magical element to it. It's a long question, but do has this ever happen to you two?
    Do you think multiple spin offs can damage a brand name?
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    If the Camelot's Mario Golf RPG is anything like their Mario Tennis RPG, then it's not so much an RPG as it is a sports game with RPG elements. In the sense that "you are terrible at this sport until you grind up your stats by playing matches and minigames". Still fun, if you like the sport (in video game form).

When I played Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn, the game would freeze during a cutscene on disc 4. Fortunately, the problematic cutscene was skippable with the Start button; doing that allowed me to finish the game.

There is one turn-based combat system that slightly resembles Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's the desert-vehicle-combat in Wild Arms 3, particularly with regard to how the player can maneuver around the enemy in both systems. But the vehicle-combat system of WA3 is simplistic to the point of being utterly broken, while the combat in PDS was genuinely fun.

I really hope that Panzer Dragoon Saga is remade someday.

You mentioned Wild Arms 5 but didn't mention Wild Arms XF, which was released less than a year afterward. Unlike every other RPG in the series, WA XF was a tactical strategy RPG. I suppose it could be called a spinoff game.

So, here's some questions since that's your thing: Do you think WA XF would have been more successful commercially if it had not been a tactical RPG?

Is there a word or phrase to describe non-tactical RPGs, other than "non-tactical"? I've heard the phrase "traditional RPG" used, but that phrase glosses over a lot of non-tactical RPGs with exceptional or unusual combat features, from Panzer Dragoon Saga to Undertale to Final Fantasy 13.

What are the fatal gameplay flaws of tactical RPGs that are widely considered to be bad games?

What are the best gameplay qualities of tactical RPGs that are widely considered to be good games?

Those last two questions are obviously extremely subjective, but I do want to point out that some of the very same qualities that tend to be criticized in non-tactical RPGs, such as slow combat, or systems that require careful micromanaging, are sometimes present in popular tactical RPGs.
    It seems like the division wasn't a fluke. Gamers are really enjoying the game, I know you've talked about it a little, but compare it to destiny. Or decompare it if that make sense too.
    edited March 2016
    *chrono trigger spoilers*

This is less of a question and more me just having a gaming memory. But before the Internet, magazines like Nintendo power were basically how you got your info. I remember their lead up to chrono trigger. It was big deal and they spent a lot of time and issues on it. But here was the problem. They built up magus as the villain along with lavos, and didn't put him with the official playable characters for the issues they ran on it. But they showed magus in the party in screen shots before it was released. It still remember that and felt getting him in our party wasn't as cool is it could have been. Just a piece of Nintendo history.