If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 377: "The Redcoats Aren't Coming"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 377: "The Redcoats Aren't Coming"

We've repelled the British! An England-free RPGCast sails straight to your ears with news of dragons, family drama, and lottery balls. Jonathan and Anna Marie uncover the truth of Chris's weeklong conspiracy. And by the way, if anyone ever makes a real-life .Hack or Sword Art Online game, DON'T LOGIN TO IT!

You can find the shownotes here: [URL=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing[/URL]

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Redcoats Aren't Coming"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What is your favorite Pokémon?
179811.png

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    The answer key for "This happens in Pokemon":

- A giant castle rises from the ground around the main government building, and it's PETA's fault
    Spoiler:

- You ride a dragon god into space to fight a meteor alien, and this is plan B where plan A is to send the alien to another dimension
    Spoiler:

- One guy tries to get rid of the ocean, the other tries to get rid of dry land, what happens next will shock you
    Spoiler:

- A guy jumps straight out of the water onto a pirate ship, lowers the gangplank, then swims off and tells a ten year old to deal with it
    Spoiler:

- There is a 1/3 chance that an eleven year old mafia prince broke into a laboratory to steal an adorable plant creature
    Spoiler:

- You can buy a useless fish for several thousand yen from a shady salesman and this is actually an amazingly good investment
    Spoiler:

- The devil, the god of death, and the bringer of eternal nightmares really, really, really like cake
    Spoiler:

- The most powerful trainer in the world is a 14 year old with a pet rat, and he climbed a frozen mountain for no apparent reason. He only comes down after you beat up his rat (and it's really hard)
    Spoiler:

- The most powerful trainer in the Unova region is a magical catgirl space princess with a bunch of pet dragons
    Spoiler:

- There is a nine foot tall guy who wanders around, his height is the least interesting thing about him, and his best friend is a flower fairy
    Spoiler:
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote:
    Pokemon (Heart) Gold/(Soul) Silver, and he otherwise steals a fire hedgehog or a cute little turtle

Cute little alligator! Had to correct, for my best pal Chompy the Feraligatr!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Thanks Shaymin! :D
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I must admit the first 40 minutes and Chris' fire emblem prank was absolutely great!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2016
    "I've been playing Conquest" WHAT??!?!?!?!? Classic!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    *grumble grumble*
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Loved the show, that was a heck of a prank by Chris.

While I agree that the stories in FE:Awakening and what I've played of Birthright are kinda meh, I really enjoyed the story spanning Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I felt like it was a Matsuno-lite story; lots of countries and factions within countries fighting one another. It had politics, racism, slavery, genocide, and characters who would continually stab you in the back. It wasn't Tactics Ogre good mind you, but it was a good story to go with some good games. It's a shame that they have gotten so rare and expensive.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    I must admit the first 40 minutes and Chris' fire emblem prank was absolutely great!
    It's even better when you replay it, knowing that Chris is trying to not say that he's played it.
    The first time you just assume he had and everyone was aware of that.

(No one answered the Question of the Week?!)
    Well after thinking over which Pokémon was my favorite and being completely indecisive about the matter, I decide I would have go with Pokémon Red.

Mostly because it seemed all brand new back when the originals came out. That said I probably wouldn't want to replay the recent port of the GB games and I guess I haven't played many entries in the series either (or its many spin-offs).
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 2016
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Loved the show, that was a heck of a prank by Chris.

While I agree that the stories in FE:Awakening and what I've played of Birthright are kinda meh, I really enjoyed the story spanning Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I felt like it was a Matsuno-lite story; lots of countries and factions within countries fighting one another. It had politics, racism, slavery, genocide, and characters who would continually stab you in the back. It wasn't Tactics Ogre good mind you, but it was a good story to go with some good games. It's a shame that they have gotten so rare and expensive.

I definitely agree with the Tellius games having the best stories. Even ignoring Awakening's poor plot, most of the other Fire Emblem stories are nothing to write home about. I thought Radiant Dawn's story is good, though perhaps a bit too long-winded. Path of Radiance's is the best in the series, at least in my opinion.

I somehow missed the question of the week in the podcast itself, so I'm not sure if you mean favorite Pokémon game or favorite species of Pokémon. So here's both:

Favorite game: Pokémon Black/White
    Favorite Pokémon: Lugia

I'm too lazy right now to explain, so I linked them to previous features where I go into great detail as to why they are my favorites.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Just how expensive is all this Fire Emblem? Multiple games, tons of DLC, a byzantine system for applying DLC to game carts... I guess as long as we don't have pay-to-win Fire Emblem games it'll be OK...

Favorite Pokemon Game(s): the only two Pokemon RPGs I've ever played, the GameCube games Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.

Both played more like standard JRPGs because they used the dual battle system throughout, and items could be used in almost every battle, except for certain optional challenges. So the Pokemon team felt more like the 2-person RPG party from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, with the player choosing when to swap around playable characters.

Both games had fairly forgettable stories, though. A head-scratching moment early in XD is that, after a ship full of Pokemon is captured, NPCs openly worry that the Pokemon will be OK... with no one (that I noticed) expressing any fear or concern for the ship's human crew.

Favorite Pokemon Game, Honorable Mention: Pokemon Picross. That's more for the Picross than the Pokemon, though.

Favorite Pokemon: Tough one, but I'll go Breloom; in one of the GC games, I was amazed by how cool this evolution was and how much it kicked Moo in battle.

Honorable mention: Team Rocket's talking Meowth, from the cartoon series. He has the self-discipline to level up on his own! Even Ash comments, "Being your own trainer is rough."
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Favorite Pokemon: Galvantula, the bad-moo spider that evolves from the cutest thing in existence and can hit with Thunder 90% of the time.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Torchic is my favorite.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    Just how expensive is all this Fire Emblem? Multiple games, tons of DLC, a byzantine system for applying DLC to game carts... I guess as long as we don't have pay-to-win Fire Emblem games it'll be OK...

70-80 for all the campaigns, not really sure what the price of all the DLC will be at the end of the day but add more to that total. It seems pricey, but don't forget each campaign is the length of a typical Fire Emblem game.

Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif