If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - March - Fire Emblem

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
To celebrate the recent release of Fire Emblem Fates in all its forms, we will be discussing the entire series this month. Fire Emblem got its start all the way back on the NES in 1990. The first six games in the series (1990-2002) were never released outside of Japan. The first international release was 2003's Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) on the GBA, which was actually a prequel to the sixth game, Binding Blade. 2004 saw the release of The Sacred Stones on GBA, notable by being the only completely standalone game in the entire series to this point. Path of Radiance (on Gamecube, 2005) and Radiant Dawn (Wii, 2007) brought the franchise into the third dimension. In 2008, Fire Emblem made its way to the DS with Shadow Dragon, a remake of the original NES game. Heroes of Light and Shadow was released in 2010, but only in Japan. Fire Emblem Awakening was released in 2012 on 3DS, and of course, Fates was released in February.

All of these games are tactical strategy RPGs and are generally known for their difficulty and permanent death for party members (though this has been relaxed at times). The games are set in the prototypical Japanese view of Middle Ages Europe, meaning fantasy based with knights, dragons, and so forth. There is a basic rock-paper-scissors combat system that determines which weapons are effective against different defenders. Combat is ordered so that one army gets to move all of their troops in any order and then the opposing army gets to take their own turn. The more recent games have become increasingly more "anime" in their presentation, though this is partially a style choice and partially due to the ever increasing limits of hardware.

I don't personally have a ton of experience with the franchise. I've beaten Shadow Dragon, and I've played a bit of Radiant Dawn, which is what originally brought my attention to the series. I do own Awakening, and hope to get going on that, if I can ever get Persona Q out of my system. Please keep spoiler talk for Fates to a minimum, but most anything else is fair game at this point. Enjoy!

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    For those playing Fates out there, what is the map-sortie average for the three routes? I usually try to build a team of 15 or so, since that is usually all that can be sortied at a time. Is the average a bit small this time, or am I on point for trying to build up a team of 15? I am trying to map it out so that I have limited overlap in my character selection. I plan on starting up Conquest this weekend and complete it for this month. Birthright and Revelation will be done at later points in the year.
    ClixPsi.png
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I started up awakening last night. Not sure if I really want to play an SRPG right now, but if its anywhere near as good as people claim, I might be able to have a decent time on Normal-Casual. We shall see. I've finished the Prologue, and will probably get in some more time tonight.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hm, I've got Shining Stones on my 3DS via the ambassador program, but I never did play much. Might be a good time to try!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 2016
    Clix wrote: »
    For those playing Fates out there, what is the map-sortie average for the three routes? I usually try to build a team of 15 or so, since that is usually all that can be sortied at a time. Is the average a bit small this time, or am I on point for trying to build up a team of 15? I am trying to map it out so that I have limited overlap in my character selection. I plan on starting up Conquest this weekend and complete it for this month. Birthright and Revelation will be done at later points in the year.

I can't speak for all three routes yet, but for Conquest, 15 sounds about right. Average is probably closer to 13-14, but there are maps that go up to 15 or so.

Anyway, I'm up to chapter 20 in Conquest. Despite what I said in the "What are you playing today" thread, I decided not to do the second gen Paralogues. Even though I know, especially in Conquest, it would be really hard to raise their levels without DLC. I could just recruit them without using them, but maybe I'll do it once the main story is done, or I'll just get on them subsequent playthroughs.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I'll be working on Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright for the most part. I have it on Hard Casual, though I feel like Hard in this game is more difficult than Hard in Awakening, so I'm not sure how long I want to continue that way. I'm hoping to go through Birthright rather quickly and spend more time being careful in Conquest.

I am about halfway through Blazing Sword (I think that's how fans translate Rekka no Ken) so I might also try to make a bit more progress in that in the spirit of this month. I usually play Fire Emblems on the easiest difficulty, so Rekka no Ken has been a lot more difficult than Sacred Stones or Path of Radiance was for me, since there is no way to select difficulty the first time through.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Well I've beaten Birthright and now working Conquest (though I beat Birthright last month and have spending time in Conquest doing Supports). I've beaten Awakening and due to some liberal use of Cheat devices betean the two GBA ones. Still haven't finished either of the Radiant set but I did enjoy those that I had played from it.

Currently in Chapter 13 on Conquest.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2016

I can't speak for all three routes yet, but for Conquest, 15 sounds about right. Average is probably closer to 13-14, but there are maps that go up to 15 or so.

Anyway, I'm up to chapter 20 in Conquest. Despite what I said in the "What are you playing today" thread, I decided not to do the second gen Paralogues. Even though I know, especially in Conquest, it would be really hard to raise their levels without DLC. I could just recruit them without using them, but maybe I'll do it once the main story is done, or I'll just get on them subsequent playthroughs.
    NO YOU FOOL! The paralogues and DLC scale up depending on which chapter you're on for Conquest! At the final chapter the enemies are all promoted units!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited March 2016
    The reason I haven't recruited them has more to do my apathy towards the second generation in Fates than anything else, as well as Conquest being a throwback to Fire Emblem games pre-Awakening. Again, I could just recruit them on a subsequent playthrough, or even do it during Revelation, as I hear the support conversations are the same. I think Azura's and possibly Corrin/the Avatar's differ among the three games.
    Bravely second...

I can verify that Azura's does differ
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I'm just finishing up Chapter 17 in Birthright. It's definitely a lot like Awakening.
    I finished Chapter 3 and the first Paralogue and got Donnel, in Awakening. So far- not really annoying me yet, the battles are fairly quick all considered, especially with the FF button. I don't really care about any of the characters, but I do find the cutscenes pretty nifty. I don't think I'm going to make any effort to kindle any specific relationships, I'll just unlock whatever happens to unlock as I play.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    I won't be getting Birthright/Conquest anytime soon but am considering finally playing through Shadow Dragon. Anyone here played it and have an opinion on if the Gaiden chapters are worth killing off characters?
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    I won't be getting Birthright/Conquest anytime soon but am considering finally playing through Shadow Dragon. Anyone here played it and have an opinion on if the Gaiden chapters are worth killing off characters?

I played it years ago, but didn't follow the Gaiden path. I don't remember the main story being particularly great, so it might be a fun diversion.
    edited March 2016
    For Shadow Dragon, I did one playthrough regularly without recruiting those extra characters, then a second where I did. I like one of the Gaiden-only characters, Athena, but otherwise there's not much of a need to do it if you're only going to play Shadow Dragon once. They still don't have much in the way of personalities.
    Bravely second...

edited March 2016
    I did the Gaiden Chapters simply to get more EXP. Since the requirements are to have 15 or less, I just killed off the spare units that I never intended on using anyway. Furthermore, there is a neat glitch/trick to getting a "perfect" run. The final Gaiden requires the death of a specific character and the lose of the Falchion. However, this is the only game with a resurrection staff. Thus, the trick is to give the Falchion to the specific character
    Tiki
    , have that unit die while the sword is in its invention, and then later resurrect that unit with Aum. Since items in a fall unit are added back to the convoy, you will not actually lose the Falchion, and this allows you to recruit all characters. The last character is a manakete with a Divine Dragon Stone, one of the few in the game.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited March 2016
    Ah right, I forgot about
    Nagi
    That unit STILL hasn't really been fully explained yet. I don't think even New Mystery of the Emblem says much. It seems likely that
    Nagi is the Naga we see in Awakening
    , but whether that's true or not remains a mystery.
    Bravely second...

Furthermore, New Mystery of the Emblem added that character back in as a role similar to the possible cameo in Awakening. Naturally, in this game, Marth meets it for the first time, as that particular Gaiden chapter is considered non-canon to the sequel's remake (the other are canon, albeit with everyone living). I also highly suggest FE3's DS remake. The fan translation emulates the purple prose of FE1 DS's localized script. It also includes the "DLC" scenario maps from the Satellaview.
    ClixPsi.png
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I'm now at Chapter 25 in Birthright (it's taken me a while because I've spent lots of time fiddling with the my castle function and fighting extra battles) and the random number generator has been hindering my progress. I've had 5 characters killed by critical chances of 5% or less, so I've been rebooting a bunch. Otherwise, Birthright seems to be Awakening 2.0; I think that the maps have have been interesting to play and I have enjoyed the addition of Dragon Veins that manipulate the map. Now I just want to push through to the end and start Conquest.
    So read through a Wiki and I was unaware there are certain unique bosses that can be recruited through the capture technique in FEF, so I just got one of them in the COnquest path. Sadly they do not have supports but I find the idea kinda interesting
    sig.gif

• SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    Started playing Awakening sometime last month, but I'm definitely game for continuing it... I'm kind of at a crossroads where I have to decide whether I want to min-max with my characters and make everyone marry very specific people to get OP children or whether to just happen naturally. Mostly worrying about Chrom and getting his children to have good moves since I THINK he has to marry Olivia for that and doing it is SUPER hard? I'm on Normal-Casual anyways so I feel like I don't need to super worry about that, but I also love being super OP in games...
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    Started playing Awakening sometime last month, but I'm definitely game for continuing it... I'm kind of at a crossroads where I have to decide whether I want to min-max with my characters and make everyone marry very specific people to get OP children or whether to just happen naturally. Mostly worrying about Chrom and getting his children to have good moves since I THINK he has to marry Olivia for that and doing it is SUPER hard? I'm on Normal-Casual anyways so I feel like I don't need to super worry about that, but I also love being super OP in games...

Well, in all honesty, the most broken ability to get on Lucina from the word go is Galeforce, which you really need to get from Sumia. That said, this means that you need to get Sumia to level 15 promoted. Conversely, Olivia does pass down the Pegasus line to Lucina, so she can still get the ability at a later date. Trying to get Olivia to level 15 promoted in a different class is very difficult that early in the game. Furthermore, Sumia's Cynthia benefits from Chrom as a father more so than Olivia's Inigo. Chrom automatically passes on Aether to daughters; sons get Rightful King, which is only mildly useful for most of his sons given their potential builds. Furthermore, if you are playing a male Robin, you can marry Lucina or Cynthia and pass Aether down to a third generation, giving you a party of four Aether users. Everything will then die.
    ClixPsi.png
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2016
    I FINALLY got to start this game (I am so happy). I am playing Birthright (husband had to have Conquest!) and right now I have rad purple hair and am on chapter 3. Already enjoying it!
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm about four or five hours into The Sacred Stones, and I've replayed the same level about that many times because I'm trying to minimize losses while getting all the treasure chests. Also, I might have done something stupid one time and gotten my heroine killed >_>
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    Well, in all honesty, the most broken ability to get on Lucina from the word go is Galeforce, which you really need to get from Sumia. That said, this means that you need to get Sumia to level 15 promoted. Conversely, Olivia does pass down the Pegasus line to Lucina, so she can still get the ability at a later date. Trying to get Olivia to level 15 promoted in a different class is very difficult that early in the game. Furthermore, Sumia's Cynthia benefits from Chrom as a father more so than Olivia's Inigo. Chrom automatically passes on Aether to daughters; sons get Rightful King, which is only mildly useful for most of his sons given their potential builds. Furthermore, if you are playing a male Robin, you can marry Lucina or Cynthia and pass Aether down to a third generation, giving you a party of four Aether users. Everything will then die.

I'm using a female Robin... I've been finding out that was a very poor choice for min-maxing, even if it fits me more as an Avatar. :(
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators

I'm using a female Robin... I've been finding out that was a very poor choice for min-maxing, even if it fits me more as an Avatar. :(
    That's easy too. Marry her to Chrom. Lucina will come into the fray with Galeforce if you manage to get the skill on her before she comes into the picture, and I THINK a male Morgan can learn Galeforce from Robin this way, but don't quote me on that.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Awakening has a really broken mechanic later for min-maxing where you can keep changing characters classes to keep get stat increases. It also allows them to get every skill available that way.

To bad they fixed this slightly in Fates
    sig.gif

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited March 2016
    So, apparently hard/classic is a bad combination on Awakening if you don't have a full grasp on the systems. I didn't realize that separating paired units ended their turn, even if they hadn't used any other actions, and I promptly lost Virion in Chapter 3. So it goes.
    Which is why I'm glad I'm playing on Normal/Casual. I'm so bad and care so little that I think I'd have already lost my entire army if perma-death was on.
    Which is why I am personally loving phoenix mode in Fates. Revives at start of you turn always helpful
    sig.gif

Well Conquest path is done. And after playing I think playing Birthright, then Conquest connects way more dots story wise and sets up Revelations way better then vice-versa.

Their are definitely some story threads that appear in Conquest that didn't in Birthright.
    sig.gif