If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - March - Fire Emblem

Comments

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Just finished Birthright. The last battle was really awesome: it was a close-run affair where I had to be extremely careful not to get anyone killed. Also, the Hexing rod is awesome to the point of almost being broken. Not many games will let you debuff the final boss, much less cut his health bar in half like the hexing rod.
    Now onwards to Conquest; I'm looking forward to it because the Nohr characters have seemed (in my limited interactions in Birthright) to be more interesting than the Hoshido ones.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    So, started up Conquest in more earnest after having done the first six chapters on release weekend. A quick question: Is the promotion for Nohr Prince/Princess game-locked until Revelations? Basically, will both Corrin and Kana be locked into the Norh/Hoshido class promotion based on game?
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Clix wrote: »
    So, started up Conquest in more earnest after having done the first six chapters on release weekend. A quick question: Is the promotion for Nohr Prince/Princess game-locked until Revelations? Basically, will both Corrin and Kana be locked into the Norh/Hoshido class promotion based on game?
    Ironically, you have to use a Master Seal on the Avatar to get them to class change. They don't do it via story like they used to.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Ironically, you have to use a Master Seal on the Avatar to get them to class change. They don't do it via story like they used to.

That is good to know. Otherwise I would have thought that Corrin was the next Roy and takes all game to promote.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited March 2016
    Well, Chrom, Lucina, Robin/the Avatar, and Morgan could promote at any time after level 10 and with a seal in Awakening. A Fire Emblem Lord hasn't had a story promotion since Radiant Dawn. (Unless Marth can in New Mystery of the Emblem)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'd forgotten that the GBA games on 3DS keep running the battery down even when you close the thing >_<

Dunno how it slipped my mind, since I remember the same thing happening back when I was playing GBA carts on my old DS. Heck, I know a DS game or two that won't stop its internal clock for the 3DS sleep mode, either.

Oh well, one more try on that Sacred Stones level once my battery's charged.
    edited March 2016
    I'd forgotten that the GBA games on 3DS keep running the battery down even when you close the thing >_<

Dunno how it slipped my mind, since I remember the same thing happening back when I was playing GBA carts on my old DS. Heck, I know a DS game or two that won't stop its internal clock for the 3DS sleep mode, either.

Oh well, one more try on that Sacred Stones level once my battery's charged.

Wait, what? As a digital game, it does not enter sleep mode? I had no idea since I have never played a VC game on my 3DS. That said, you shouldn't have lost any progress since the GBA games auto-save frequently.
    ClixPsi.png
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Wait, what? As a digital game, it does not enter sleep mode? I had no idea since I have never played a VC game on my 3DS. That said, you shouldn't have lost any progress since the GBA games auto-save frequently.

The Ambassador GBA games don't enter sleep mode, or have most any of the other 3DS functionality when they are open, unlike the VC games available on the eShop. That's one of the reasons they were never made publicly available.

Perhaps the additional horsepower in the New 3DS would make GBA/SNES games able to function like the other VC games when they start coming out.
    Yeah, what he said.

In any case, I was already prepared to reset that battle again for other reasons besides the game clock being six hours off.

Got to the first branch point, where I could choose either the prince or the princess to follow. I've been with her five hours so far, so I figure I'll keep at it on her side.

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I am up to chapter 9 in Birthright and I feel like things are really getting heated at this point. Finally starting to get folks to really pair off as well! I also did the first Paralogue as well, so things are moving quite nicely.
    Eirika is the easier route, but I also feel that hers is more plot-relevant. It really is best to treat her as the MC for the first run; Ephiram is best for a second playthrough. Alternatively, I once used the multiple save files in order to play both simultaneously. I also played the previous game that way once by concurrently running Eliwood and Hector Mode on separate files branching from the same Lyn Mode prologue.
    ClixPsi.png
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    So I'm into Chapter 22 on Birthright. Is it just me, or it is a lot harder to build relationships in Fates compared to Awakening? I don't even have anyone married yet.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Paws wrote: »
    So I'm into Chapter 22 on Birthright. Is it just me, or it is a lot harder to build relationships in Fates compared to Awakening? I don't even have anyone married yet.

That's what the scouting is for, so you can go back and level, build relationships and get money,
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Yeah, as I'm on Birthright I get a ton of those automatically and can buy more, but still not helping as much as I'd wish :P
    What I do is send in only the two units I wanna do and let them kill everything ... but I'm also on Phoenix so even if everyone dies ... I don't lose <.<
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    So, reinforcements appearing and being able to move in the same turn is almost completely unfair. Especially in a game where one unprotected move can kill.
    What I do is send in only the two units I wanna do and let them kill everything ... but I'm also on Phoenix so even if everyone dies ... I don't lose <.<

Yeah, that's what I've started doing, just minus the Phoenix. I bring a healer that I can raise relationship with too and have them hang back.
    Having friend coded many of you from back in Pokémon it's really fun going to all of yours castles ... my lay out may look weird but trust me ... it'd pretty defensive in nature. At least till I see the new layouts with revelations
    sig.gif

edited March 2016
    I made it a few more chapters in to Awakening. I have some sort of were-person and foiled some sort of assassination attempt and revealed the true gender of Marth. Though I think I'm not paying much attention to the plot, since its basically told in cutscenes between battles and my attention is drifting while I tap A. Not sure if I'm particularly sure about a bunch of mechanics like the purpose of the Barracks conversations, or how to earn money since I appear to have run out, and I have no idea how to restore/fix broken weapons though.

So far, despite being an SRPG, I'm not finding this game particularly grating. The battles are fairly quick and don't drag on like other SRPGs I've played.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited March 2016
    I keep flip-flopping between wanting to just finish up the story and go to Birthright, and recruiting the second generation. I ended up getting Kanna and Sophie, and will likely start chapter 21 once I start playing again.
    smacd wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm particularly sure about a bunch of mechanics like the purpose of the Barracks conversations, or how to earn money since I appear to have run out, and I have no idea how to restore/fix broken weapons though.

The Barracks conversation aid in raising support levels between characters (if the two that meet have supports with each other). If the characters supports have already reach max level (A or S), their support levels can no longer increase. Those married to each other and parents and children will have different conversations from if they are unrelated.

To earn money, fight in the random skirmishes that appears on the map. You get gold bullion be sold for 1000 gold. It'll be a while before you can buy Reeking Boxes to make a 500G profit. Note that this can only be done on Normal, as Reeking Boxes are expensive on higher difficulties. There are also some units that can reclass into Barbarians using the Second Seal. This class gets the Despoil skills, which has a chance of earning gold. Vaike, Gregor, and the Avatar, if male, are some characters that can become Barbarians. There is also the Leif's blade, which can be found randomly in the Barracks or on those shiny tiles on the maps, which had Despoil built into it. Of course, certain maps will also contain gold either on enemies or locked in chests.

Weapons aren't really meant to be repaired, outside of the use of the rare Hammerne staff. You buy new weapons to replace them.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Ah, thanks for the tips Strawberry

I was hoping I could fix the Killing Edge weapon that one of my guys had, since it seemed to be a named weapon that was nice to have.

I've got several of those bullions as I've been fighting everything that shows up on my map before I move on to the next chapter. I generally don't sell anything in games, so I hadn't even thought of that being the main method for obtaining money.
    Killing Edges are not named weapons, they are just weapons that have increased chance to crit enemies, making them really good weapons for doing just that
    sig.gif

Got through another chapter of Sacred Stones, as well as two floors of the monster tower. Progress is slow-going due to regular resets to avoid character deaths. Also, I have had a lousy record of recruiting potential allies, since they're more likely to rush in and get themselves killed by one of my guys before I have the chance to chat them up properly. Amelia took three tries to get, all by herself, because apparently under certain circumstances she and her commanding officer will just run away from the battle.
    Married off everyone (except the forever alones) and now working through the Paralogues to find all the kids. Then I can finally do Chapter 23 of Birthright XD
    edited March 2016
    Had my first marriage and child! OMG Kana is adorkable. Up to chapter 14 now in Birthright!
    Are you playing male or female MC?
    sig.gif

Female! :)
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Up to chapter 11 on the Conquest side and I'm enjoying it considerably more than Birthright. There is so much more variety in the maps and mission objectives that its much more interesting to play. In Birthright, it felt like I could usually play it like XCOM: keep my party bunched together and move slowly across the map only fighting a few enemies at a time. Many of the maps in Conquest are forcing me to split the party into 3-4 parts and that heightens the stakes of each decision you make. It really does feel like an older Fire Emblem game; love it!
    Nyx wrote: »

Female! :)

That was my first playthrough too, now I have a Male MC ... which makes Kana's conversations more fitting sadly in some cases. I am working on marrying people. Right now I'm A ranking Azura with everyone before I decide who to have her marry. Yes I'm that lame I get A rank with all them and decide who to marry from there
    sig.gif

I had a marriage and kid too. Chrom decided (pretty randomly) to marry Sully and have a kid. Not sure what triggered that. Not sure if thats triggered as part of the plot or not, just sort of happened after a major in-game event. No idea if anyone else could have been married by that point.