If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - March - Fire Emblem

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    I had a marriage and kid too. Chrom decided (pretty randomly) to marry Sully and have a kid. Not sure what triggered that. Not sure if thats triggered as part of the plot or not, just sort of happened after a major in-game event. No idea if anyone else could have been married by that point.

Yeah the game will auto marry Chrom off to the highest support at that point due to plot reasons if you hadn't already married him off by then. However there is one character he can marry that only appears after that point, but the problem comes to again highest support before that point. Outside those he can't marry like his sister
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2016
    So, a small miracle happened around a week ago wherein the Special Edition that I preordered actually came in even though Gamestop told me it would not. Thank the heavens I didn't actually go pickup/cancel on launch day.

Anyways, been playing this a fair amount over that course of time. Started off with Conquest first, with plans for the next playthrough to be Revelations. The character customization was actually pretty decent, and I love that you can go back and change hairstyles at anytime. Would have been nice if they did this for the hair color too (child inheritance!) but oh well. On the main path I'm about to head into Chapter 15. The story up to this point has been, well, terrible. Its really a shame, because its the primary reason I find myself a little disillusioned with this title.

In terms of gameplay, I have to echo a lot of sentiments in this thread. The conquest side offers a robust selection of maps and objectives that keep the player on their toes and its an absolute joy to play. The addition of Attack and Guard stances is a nice touch that lets players think about how best to approach chokepoints and bosses. The marriage system is just as fun as ever, and the highlight of the experience so far. My first marriage was MU to Laslow, which gave me Soleil, my new favorite FE character. That map in particular was one of the best so far, and it certainly put a smile on my face when Soliel's first two level ups were 6 and 7 points respectively. Probably going to end up marrying Kaze + Azura and Leo + Luna next.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I am right before Ch 12 on Conquest. I have been grinding relationships using the Before Awakening Xenologue (free DLC). Sadly, Conquest won't allow me to get EXP on the map, but it is a fairly easy map, so I have gotten all my guys married thus far:

Corrin+Azura
    Kaze+Mozu
    Arthur+Effie
    Odin+Elise
    Niles+Belka
    Silas+Felicia

I am currently recruiting some of the kids. I have recruited Kana, Ophelia, and Sophie; I will get Nina next and then move on to Ch 12. I actually plan on using Shigeru, Midori, and Percy, so I will wait until Ch 19 for better parent stats and skills. After Ch 19, kids come with Offspring Seals, which will promote them with a crap-ton of stats to make up for the levels that they are missing; it will even bring them up to a leveled promotion depending on when used. If used on a child at Ch 27, they become level 18 promoted with all of the stat growths auto-generated. I believe this is a Conquest-only feature; Birthright and Revelation requires old-fashion grinding for the kids if you want to wait until the parents are semi-perfect.
    ClixPsi.png
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm still trying to get through Chapter 10 of Sacred Stones (The Carcino Mutiny, or something like that) without losing anyone. I've almost done it a few times, but then the enemy cavalry arrives >_<
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Nah. I received Offspring seals on all of my kids in Birthright, and at Chapter 22 they were raised to level 8 in their promoted class.
    Well, finally made it through Chapter 10 without losing anyone, and then Chapter 11 was a breeze.
    edited March 2016
    Started up Revelations. And man am I excited

Edit: Some of the levels are a lot more interesting then anything I've seen in Fire Emblem previously
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Chapter Twelve of Sacred Stones would be easy, if it weren't for the razzafraggin' last-minute gargoyle reinforcements... >_<
    Wrapped up Birthright last night. Dat ending. The story finally pulls together in the later chapters.
    A tad silly, but I actually decided to restart this evening once I realized that I would not be able to make every child since I paired the Avatar with one of the normal characters. Much to my surprise, there are no extras lying around this time for any of the routes; to maximize maps, the Avatar has to marry one of the pre-promotes that otherwise cannot support/marry other characters. I consider this especially important in Conquest due to the limited EXP. With this all in mind, I have reset as a female Avatar in order to marry Izana. The rest of my active party will be Azura+Keaton, Peri+Laslow, Effie+Arthur, Niles+Beruka, Kaze+Mozu, Odin+Elise, and Leo+Selena. Using the magic of Heart Seals, I will make Odin a Samurai and Selena a Sky Knight in order to balance out my team a bit more. Really, all that means is that I will only be missing the traditional Barbarian and Priest/Cleric roles. The remaining characters will be paired off to make kids for the sole purpose of providing me with maps. Hurray. While I cannot grind for EXP, I at least can easily get Supports thanks to the Before Awakening DLC map. Also, to help catch up and finish for this month, I am also playing on Phoenix Mode. Kind of cheesy, but I am sort of rushing to meet the deadline.

While I was at it, I also projected my Birthright team, though that won't be until later in the year. That will feature a male Avatar marrying Scarlet, and the rest of the team will be Kaze+Mozu, Silas+Felicia, Jakob+Hinoka, Hayato+Sakura, Takumi+Azura, Hinata+Oboro, and Kaden+Rinkah. I will also be using a Heart Scale to make Felicia a Mercenary. That should be hilarious and not likely worth it.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    Started chapter 24 of Conquest, and reset a few times due to the enemy manipulating the Dragon Veins before I get a chance to, meaning my vulnerable units don't have the movement to get out of the way of fliers. I have have to split up my forces here. The last three or so maps have been Seize, and while there isn't really that much of a difference between Seize and defeat the boss, I still like how the maps themselves are designed. I'm also haphazardly pairing characters up; recently got Azura married to Kaze after comparing his supports to Jakobs.

I am still scratching my head over how and why Izana appeared out of the blue to join the army...
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Clix revaltions makes the marriage thing more fun. Like Selena marrying Subaki
    sig.gif

edited March 2016
    I am still scratching my head over how and why Izana appeared out of the blue to join the army...

He joins if you update your hotspring around Ch 23.
    Clix revaltions makes the marriage thing more fun. Like Selena marrying Subaki

Yep, I can't wait for that wackiness. Hell, plan to have cross-faction marriages for everyone. I had a tentative list for everyone, but some of them can easily be changed later one. The SelenaXSubaki one is a must. I am also looking forward to some like TakumiXCamilla, NilesXOrochi, AzamaXPeri, and HayatoXNyx.
    ClixPsi.png
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Hit chapter 22 of Birthright yesterday and ended up opening more paralogues so I've been focusing on those. I am really liking the cast of characters in this game, and even the story has been keeping me engaged. I'm just powering through the game and will likely have this one wrapped up this week. Kinda loving all the ladies in this game!
    Well darn, I finished Chapter 13 of Sacred Stones too fast, and the apparently recruitable dragon knight guy didn't show. For a "survive 11 turns or beat the boss" scenario, it was way too easy.
    Well darn, I finished Chapter 13 of Sacred Stones too fast, and the apparently recruitable dragon knight guy didn't show. For a "survive 11 turns or beat the boss" scenario, it was way too easy.

What terrible luck. Cormag's one of the best units. To salvage this, try promoting Vanessa into a Wyvern Knight instead of a Falcon Knight. Tana will have to do for your Pegasus. Vanessa has bad strength growth, so the Pierce ability of the Wyvern Knight will help compensate a little. She won't be as solid as Wyvern Lord Cormag, but it will give you two variable fliers if you usually build a team like that.
    ClixPsi.png
    Just found out that some of the children have to be spoke with by their father in FEF ... and at the stage before last boss that's near impossible T_T
    sig.gif

Just found out that some of the children have to be spoke with by their father in FEF ... and at the stage before last boss that's near impossible T_T

Why not use the Pair Up system then?
    ClixPsi.png
    Yeah, I missed one of the kids because of that -- he charged straight into the enemy and promptly died. I didn't use a Rescue Rod because up until that point I had no idea I needed to talk to some of them. Very annoying.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Do all Fire Emblem games have a parenting system and poorly explained time travel to magically get them to be in the same party as their parents as adults? In Awakening, I'm not confused about why, but more about how. As for marriages, I did them more or less randomly among the people I typically used.

Anyway, I'm starting to get bored with Awakening. Its a good thing I'm at battle 26. I don't think I'm going to bother with any of the remaining paralogues or Spotpass DLC chapters that just opened.
    edited March 2016
    The first Fire Emblem to have marriage and children was the Super Famicom game Genealogy of the Holy War. In that game, there was a time skip after the parent generation, then you played as their grown-up children. It had taken nine games (including the remakes) for the mechanic to return in Awakening

If you think Awakening's second generation system is poorly explained, Fates is worse. It would really take me out of the game more, but it seems to be entirely ignored by the story. It's obvious it was shoehorned in because it was popular in Awakening.

Anyway, I'm about to start chapter 25 of Conquest. Splitting up my units helped a lot in Chapter 24, as I thought. It was also fun to turn the Dragon Veins against the Hoshidans. I also got Camilla and Keaton hitched.
    Bravely second...

• PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    Do all Fire Emblem games have a parenting system and poorly explained time travel to magically get them to be in the same party as their parents as adults? In Awakening, I'm not confused about why, but more about how. As for marriages, I did them more or less randomly among the people I typically used.

Anyway, I'm starting to get bored with Awakening. Its a good thing I'm at battle 26. I don't think I'm going to bother with any of the remaining paralogues or Spotpass DLC chapters that just opened.

Nope as Strawberry Eggs already said. They do the same thing in the Dynasty Warriors Empires games. Either there is unexplained time travel or those kids have super growth hormones.
    Do we know what April's theme is going to be? Now that I've finished Awakening (and since I have a baby coming at the end of April) I was hoping to get a head start on April's theme if I have a game for it.

I left my final thoughts on Awakening in the 2016 completed games thread. Summary is- I didn't mind the mechanics compared to other SRPGs I've played recently, but I found the plot phoned in. I can see what other people might like in it, but its not really for me.
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, you definitely don't wanna play FE for the plot XD

On that note, I started up Conquest this morning, this time as a male avatar. Still deciding what "rules" to pair up my characters with this time. In my Birthright playthrough, it was no sibling love and no retainers marrying their masters. I should probably pair Corrin with a forever alone, and ensure Azura doesn't marry the fuzzbutt again.
    Paws wrote: »
    Yeah, you definitely don't wanna play FE for the plot XD

On that note, I started up Conquest this morning, this time as a male avatar. Still deciding what "rules" to pair up my characters with this time. In my Birthright playthrough, it was no sibling love and no retainers marrying their masters. I should probably pair Corrin with a forever alone, and ensure Azura doesn't marry the fuzzbutt again.

Note that male Corrin's only forever-alone option in Conquest is Flora. Conversely, a female Corrin has the options of Shura, Gunter, and Izana. It was a tad less skewed in Birthright. Really, Flora is not a bad option, but I consider her better for Revelations, since her Live to Serve can be passed down to a Hoshido Noble Kana.
    ClixPsi.png
    I'm currently going back through an earlier save on Revelations and I figured out the trick I needed to ensure the idiot son who starts in the middle of a bunch of baddies doesn't die right off is 2x rescue rods. Managed to get one unit close enough to move him away then from the starting area was able to move him a second time.

And going back, pair up didn't work cause he starts like 2 turns away from your character and surrounded by 3 enemies and there a complete idiot.

As for pairings .... I'm doing royals with royals. And then thinking retainers with opposite retainers then extras with extra and go from there.
    sig.gif

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Do we know what April's theme is going to be? Now that I've finished Awakening (and since I have a baby coming at the end of April) I was hoping to get a head start on April's theme if I have a game for it.

I left my final thoughts on Awakening in the 2016 completed games thread. Summary is- I didn't mind the mechanics compared to other SRPGs I've played recently, but I found the plot phoned in. I can see what other people might like in it, but its not really for me.

First off, congrats. Secondly, the only releases I could see matching up with a theme in April are Dark Souls 3 or Bravely Second. A Dark Souls theme would basically consist of Demons' Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, and Bloodborne. We could do a "Square-Enix games that aren't DQ or FF" theme with Bravely Second, but we just did Square games last month. Or, I could pull out one of several random themes I've got for slow release months. Any suggestions?
    edited March 2016
    Well, Bravely Second doesn't come out until mid-April (15th). We could have the D-Souls for April, then B-series Square Enix games for May.
    Bravely second...

Baldur's Gate 1.5 is apparently being released before the end of March, so there's also D&D or infinity-engine games as an option.

I'm fine with Souls for next month I think. I have Demon's Souls on my backlog and I've been thinking about playing it on another profile so as to not worry about trophies. B-series Squeenix in May might work (if I have any game time any more when baby macd is here), as I have Star Ocean 4 as well as the KH HD games.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I had to set my (Normal/Casual) Birthright run aside for review stuff at Chapter 13, but it's back on. And lo and behold, I unlocked my mission objective: marrying Elika (princess of Hoshino) to Rhajat. And the scene was touching, but treated it like a normal marriage which is what I was looking for. Trebles all 'round.

Also picked up Ryoma in that chapter along with Paralogue 9... and Ryoma basically won that paralogue on his own by doing at least 30 damage on every hit. He's a TAD broken at this point.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor