If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - March - Fire Emblem

124»

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    He's a tad broken at every point. Especially when he gets Asura and can crit with each of those 5 strikes
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    So, I ended up restarting on Normal difficulty, because I was really mad at chapter 6 on Hard. Still on Classic, though. I'm up to Chapter 8 now, and I was wondering about promotions. Should I just promote characters as soon as I am able, or is there benefit to letting them gain more levels before promotion?
    redwing42 wrote: »
    So, I ended up restarting on Normal difficulty, because I was really mad at chapter 6 on Hard. Still on Classic, though. I'm up to Chapter 8 now, and I was wondering about promotions. Should I just promote characters as soon as I am able, or is there benefit to letting them gain more levels before promotion?

Better starting stats in the promoted class
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    He's a tad broken at every point. Especially when he gets Asura and can crit with each of those 5 strikes

Well, I do declare I'm coming down with the vapours. (There's a line from Archer I want to drop here, but I don't think local management would appreciate it.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    redwing42 wrote: »

Each character only has the classic 20/20 level cap as seen prior to Awakening. There are a few in-game exceptions, notably Felicia and Jakob, but otherwise you need to buy highly expensive Eternal Seals to add +5 levels.
    ClixPsi.png
    Sorry, I should have clarified... I'm playing Awakening, if it matters.
    Oh, then knock yourself out! Each time you use a Second Seal, your levels reset, so you can earn infinite EXP. You obviously still have level caps to deal with, though. Also, as mentioned early in the thread, Normal difficulty allows you to spam Reckoning Boxes to build up a small profit and train. In fact, for Chrom's wife, you definitely want to promote her ASAP so that she can learn some valuable promoted skills to pass down, since their child is story-locked in terms of recruitment time.
    ClixPsi.png
    I have decided to take a break from FEF and go back to FEA since there is still time left in the month.
    sig.gif

Going for a personal goal in FEA where I have Chrom marry the Dancer that shows up late in the game. It IS possible it just means he has to avoid all other females till that point
    sig.gif

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I just finished FE Birthright. I felt like the dialogue was pretty awful at the beginning and managed to improve as the game went along. Hoping Conquest, which I just started, is also better after Chapter 6.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Still slowly working through Conquest. Up to Chapter 11, but have been doing a lot of DLC maps to raise their affections.
    Paws wrote: »
    Still slowly working through Conquest. Up to Chapter 11, but have been doing a lot of DLC maps to raise their affections.

I did much the same, and levels and money.
    sig.gif

edited March 2016
    Been busy doing supports and max leveling toons in FEA. Still trying to make sure I can marry CHrom off to some one much later.

I'm also attempting to get it so that the characters who do show up in FEF that are referenced to first be in FEA have the appropriate hair colors, but not sure I can pull that off 100%
    sig.gif

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    So I started the Conquest run tonight and had to mentally justify picking Nohr on the grounds of "Man, Takumi is a dick."
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    Up through Chapter 10 in FE:A. Been grinding out some support levels and have several pairings already set. I haven't looked at any guides or anything, but I will probably replay the game and will check ideal pairings then. I've got Chrom-Sumia (S), Avatar-Lissa(S), Sully-Kellam(S), Miriel-Stahl, Lon'qu-Nowi, Cordelia-Gregor, and Vaike-Panne. Will probably pair Ricken-Maribelle, but I lost Donnel and missed out on Tharja. I also discovered in this process that the advantages gained by pairing units more than makes up for the loss of extra attacks. I still haven't used any Master or Second Seals, though I may before the next chapter.
    So messed up my plan to have the dancer and Chrom married so .... he is now married to "Maiden" some random NPC for story sake that makes no more appearance then that
    sig.gif

So messed up my plan to have the dancer and Chrom married so .... he is now married to "Maiden" some random NPC for story sake that makes no more appearance then that

I was worried about that, but I thought you knew that risk going in, so I didn't both warning you. Sorry.

Chrom will not marry Olivia by default, even if everyone else is taken. He will only marry her if they have earned enough points to essentially earn a C-Rank. This might be difficult to gauge, since the marriage is set after the only battle you have open to build a relationship between Chrom and Olivia. Essentially, it's best to pair them up and massacre half the map to play it safe.
    ClixPsi.png
    Clix wrote: »

I was worried about that, but I thought you knew that risk going in, so I didn't both warning you. Sorry.

Chrom will not marry Olivia by default, even if everyone else is taken. He will only marry her if they have earned enough points to essentially earn a C-Rank. This might be difficult to gauge, since the marriage is set after the only battle you have open to build a relationship between Chrom and Olivia. Essentially, it's best to pair them up and massacre half the map to play it safe.

Oh no I knew the risk very well. Just didn't it plan it well. But always next game :D
    sig.gif

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Just curious, since I can't seem to find the thread... but what is going to be April's theme? I WANNA PARTICIPATE. :D

Also everyone! GO GO GO! Finish your FE games! (I wish my husband would finish Conquest so I can play it!)
    edited March 2016
    Discussion for next month has been ongoing here and in the main Year of thread. Looks like we might be doing a Souls series month for Dark Souls 3. That said, no clarification just yet. I had proposed a non-flagship SE month for Bravely Second, but BS comes out so late in the month that we may do that more in May (as well as we just had some SE-loving with the FF Feb). Right now, just keep following the threads until a decision is reached.
    ClixPsi.png
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I've already started on Demon's Souls, so if its not a Souls / FromSoft month, I might ragequit.

Well actually, part of my reasoning is that I think I can get in a single run before the kid is born, because I definitely won't have the ability to play a game that doesn't have proper pause functionality for quite some time after.
    Definitely planning Souls month for April, though doing all From Software games has been suggested, and I'm fine with that if someone wants to play 3D Dot Heroes.
    While I could borrow a Souls game from a friend, I am not sure I am mentally ready for that rabbit hole. Now, if anyone happens to play Enchanted Arms, I am totally down to discussing the crap out of that game. Otherwise, I am sorry redwing, but I don't think I can help out too much until May.

----

As to FE, the Hidden Truths DLC hit this week. It's two maps starring Severa, Inigo, and Owain. And that's not a typo. It shows how they got recruited to the Fates-verse and sets up a lot of other background/backstory events. That said, it seems to be more Revelations-focused, so for those only on Birthright/Conquest, hold off for now if you have the DLC pack.
    ClixPsi.png
    I found out that your character can still get his/her attack blocked even if the gauge says 100% hit chance when the enemy unit can form a pair, at least on Normal Classic in FE Conquest. I reset a battle because one of my mages (who was paired up with someone too) got his attack blocked (an attack which should have defeated the enemy unit) and then promptly got murdered on the counterattack...

I think in general the hit percentages listed for the encounter are higher than the actual percentages used when the game's battle plays out when paired units are involved, though I didn't notice that in FE Birthright or Awakening (played on Hard/Casual though for those two).
    Up to Chapter 22 in Conquest. I still have 3 males I need to get married off for their paralogues, so I'll probably stop and grind those out before moving forward. But I'm shooting to finish this week. I'm really curious about Revelations, having visited Valla castles frequently.
    riulyn wrote: »
    I found out that your character can still get his/her attack blocked even if the gauge says 100% hit chance when the enemy unit can form a pair, at least on Normal Classic in FE Conquest. I reset a battle because one of my mages (who was paired up with someone too) got his attack blocked (an attack which should have defeated the enemy unit) and then promptly got murdered on the counterattack...

I think in general the hit percentages listed for the encounter are higher than the actual percentages used when the game's battle plays out when paired units are involved, though I didn't notice that in FE Birthright or Awakening (played on Hard/Casual though for those two).

There is a second guage about blocking with shield marks, when it turns blue it's a guarantee block
    sig.gif

There is a second guage about blocking with shield marks, when it turns blue it's a guarantee block

Ok I just noticed that there is a gauge for enemies too. I guess I usually eliminate enemy pairs quickly and hadn't encountered that before that particular battle (Chapter 16).
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 2016
    I haven't gotten too far into Birthright to make much of a comparison to Conquest yet. The desert map I did was rather straight. I'm also taking advantage of the easier access to money and EXP, but I am playing on Hard. I'll see if I have to drop it to Normal like I did Conquest.

I was also watching something last night, so I went to my Conquest save and recruited Percy. Effie is his mother, and their supports made her rather out-of-character. I figured the child-variable parent supports would suffer from Awakening's cookie cutter nature, but man is this blatant. I just hope the localizes goofed for Effie and Percy and this doesn't occur in more of them. My Avatar seemed in-character for her supports with Sophie, and Silas with Kana.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

I switched to Phoenix with my Conquest playthrough for grinding and have just kept it on for Revelations. It'll cut a couple hours out of my playtime and I'll be doing tons of grinding to get relationships up anyways. Speaking of, hit Chapter 10 in Revelations today. Veeeeery interesting.