If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 161: Paths of Glory

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
How do adventure game mechanics mesh with those of RPGs? In the case of at least most entries in the Quest for Glory series, pretty darn well as it turns out.
Watch for Harpo!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Wow, what a cool tour of a classic games series. I was familiar with installments 1-2 but knew nothing about 3-5.

Phil mentioned that the DS version of Dragon Quest 4 remedied the questionable game design of having an AI-controlled party. According to TV Tropes, the DS remake also significantly increased the difficulty of battles to provide sufficient challenge, now that the player was in control.

I would just like to remind everyone that the iOS version of Dragon Quest 4 restored the "party chat" feature that was inexplicably and inexcusably cut from the DS version. This means that when party members join you on Ch. 5, their interesting stories don't quite come to such a crashing halt; they will still talk to you (at your discretion) wherever you go, and say different things depending on the current location or situation.

TLDR: Play iOS Dragon Quest 4!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    I notice something weird, around the 21 minute, there some music playing at the same time of you talk, it make it hard to follow
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    My older brother bought a pc, and he got a ton of game for free with it. For what ever reason it came with a Sierra game pack(ton of great games too) Quest for glory 4 was one of them. Let's just say there was a moment with a certain mermaid that made me glad my parents weren't in the room, or I might not have finished the game. Graphics look simple now, but at the time they were great.
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Ombres wrote: »
    I notice something weird, around the 21 minute, there some music playing at the same time of you talk, it make it hard to follow

Nah, that was just some middle eastern flavor added in the editing room. Totally on purpose.

Another great episode. Quest for glory sounded great! Regardless that I didn't get to play it back in the day, much like the ultima series, I'm stoked to feel the glow of nostalgia here. This episode I will be saving.

And wasn't it telling that the blast from the recent past was Divinity: Original Sin? Modern old school. I actually learned of that game from rpg backtrack after hearing Phil talking about playing it with his wife. Luckily, it came out on ps4 and I got a chance to play it. I loved it, but I 100 percent agree with Phil... I had to bring out a faq for the whole first section of the game just so I could comprehend what they actually wanted me to do in the murder mystery. Oh and I totally abused the stealing of paintings too! Can't wait for the second one!

Excited for the next rogue lIke filled episode!

P.s. did you all ever do Legend of Dragoon? I could have sweared you did but I can't find it at all haha.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'd like to put in a request for your thoughts on the console games RPG Maker (PSX), RPG Maker 2 (PS2), and RPG Maker 3 (PS2), at some point in the future. Each of them came with a default, fully playable RPG! Today all three games are largely ignored/forgotten in favor of RPG Maker programs for the PC.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    My older brother bought a pc, and he got a ton of game for free with it. For what ever reason it came with a Sierra game pack(ton of great games too) Quest for glory 4 was one of them. Let's just say there was a moment with a certain mermaid that made me glad my parents weren't in the room, or I might not have finished the game. Graphics look simple now, but at the time they were great.

Haha, yes, the Rusalka is definitely memorable

qfg43.jpg
    Victar wrote: »
    Wow, what a cool tour of a classic games series. I was familiar with installments 1-2 but knew nothing about 3-5.

You can get the entire series on GoG for one reasonable price :smile:

I wish I could have gone on more about each game in the podcast, but like I mentioned, I had classes... At least they turned out really well. My Friday afternoon kiddies are always a blast to work with. Yesterday we played choo-choo train!

Reviews cited:
    Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero
    Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire
    Quest for Glory III: Wages of War
    Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
    Quest for Glory V: DragonFire

Extra reading:
    Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
    Quest for Infamy: Who Needs a Hero, Anyway?