If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 162: Do You Like this Rogue?

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
In the early days of RPGs, a title constructed entirely of ASCII that depicted an adventurer being overcome by a variety of random forces inside a dungeon was released. Rogue proved enormously influential, and we talk about both the original and some of the many games that took influence from it.
Quality varies wildly.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Nethack was always my favorite of the older rogue likes. Azure dreams for the ps1, I enjoyed to, it was rogue like with a dating sim element.
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Another great one. I loved hearing about all of the trials and tribulations you went through in each of the games. Not, to mention it's great to have an episode where Phil has to blame it on the devestator quickly.
    Baroque sounds totally bat*** crazy! I'm going to look into that one.

Also what was the last song used before the final lap? It was great.

For the final lap, I totally disagree with Apps that Lightning Returns is good in any sense. I nearly had a heart attack, buying it on a midnight release and bringing it home to deep deep sorrow.... I couldn't even finish it.
    Personally, I think 13-2 is awesome. Garbage story, but the music, graphics, and snappy combat style really really sold me. I still will defend that game to the death.

And Godzilla Final Wars is the bomb. Nobody can ever explain that movie and do it justice.

Happy you all are hyping on Fire Emblem! Makes me wish I had a 3ds.
    So excited for morrowind!!
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Awesome post, Seifer! Normally, I'm at a loss to answer the "Where can I find that song" question. However, just recently, I've started tweeting the Youtube links of each song as I pick them out! However, the order of the songs in the cast probably doesn't match the twitter feed...so I'm not super sure which one you're referring to.

However, what I can do is refer you to my twitter feed, and you can run through the songs yourself to find the one you are looking for. Head on over to twitter.com/jcservant ... and just scroll down a bit...only a few posts should do, as I haven't posted a bunch since then.

And, for the record, all errors found in this podcast are the clear responsibility of Devastator. Blowing up brain cells. That's what Devistator does best.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Interesting show this time. I'm adding Baroque to my list of games to (eventually) buy on Amazon; that really sounds weird and I have a soft spot for Sting games.
    I'll have to track down some Devestator asap haha.

Well, it turns out that song was from Baroque. Titled "One Foot in the Grave", so.... besides being totally unique and nuts, I think we can confirm that Baroque also has a sweet soundtrack haha.
    edited March 2016
    I'm thinking of getting either shiren on ds or wii. Sounds like wheels said he liked ds version more. I'll probably get which ever is cheaper and then the other if I enjoy it.
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting either shiren on ds or wii. Sounds like wheels said he liked ds version more. I'll probably get which ever is cheaper and then the other if I enjoy it.

There is a "new" Shiren game coming out this summer to Vita (a remake of 5 originally on the DS that never before made it to the West) so that's what I'm planning on giving a try. I remember hearing that it is supposed to be one of the better iterations, for what its worth.
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Budai wrote: »

There is a "new" Shiren game coming out this summer to Vita (a remake of 5 originally on the DS that never before made it to the West) so that's what I'm planning on giving a try. I remember hearing that it is supposed to be one of the better iterations, for what its worth.

I remember the news story about a new one. Wasn't sure about the details. I don't have vita at the moment though.
    Oh man...thanks for mentioning the Vita port!! I totally forgot!! It's definitely getting bought now!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2016
    Seifer267 wrote: »
    For the final lap, I totally disagree with Apps that Lightning Returns is good in any sense. I nearly had a heart attack, buying it on a midnight release and bringing it home to deep deep sorrow.... I couldn't even finish it.
    Personally, I think 13-2 is awesome. Garbage story, but the music, graphics, and snappy combat style really really sold me. I still will defend that game to the death.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. The reduced difficulty of 13-2 made combat incredibly boring for me. The monsters were a bad substitute for an actual party member as well. The story was an embarrassment, and given how closely it tied to the more open nature of the game, it really sapped any interest I might have gained from it. IT ANGERS THE BLOOD. So glad the special edition included the soundtrack so can enjoy it without having to play the game.

I can't blame anyone for not liking Lightning Returns. It is a strange game, and its combat system is especially difficult to get a handle on. It feels like something you'd want to play as an action RPG, but doesn't quite work that way. For better or worse though, it's way more interesting gameplay-wise than the previous two games. If only XIII-2 hadn't sent the series mythology down the pooper :P
    JCServant wrote: »
    Oh man...thanks for mentioning the Vita port!! I totally forgot!! It's definitely getting bought now!

I feel like it's important to highlight the word port here, not really a remake by any stretch. Of course, that's FINE, because the old school graphical design fit the series perfectly. Really looking forward to this one.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 2016
    I'm still hard-pressed to recommend Baroque to most people, but I suppose that's because Rougelikes are rather niche even as far as RPGs go. I am glad to see other people interested in the game, as it is fascinating in its uniqueness and not one I'm going to forget.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Yeah...you sold me too, Strawberry. I love original games, even if they aren't the best. Mind you, I rarely finish such games, but I love collecting them and playing them a few hours here and there!! FRESH!
    Wheels wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks as they say. The reduced difficulty of 13-2 made combat incredibly boring for me. The monsters were a bad substitute for an actual party member as well. The story was an embarrassment, and given how closely it tied to the more open nature of the game, it really sapped any interest I might have gained from it. IT ANGERS THE BLOOD. So glad the special edition included the soundtrack so can enjoy it without having to play the game.

I can't blame anyone for not liking Lightning Returns. It is a strange game, and its combat system is especially difficult to get a handle on. It feels like something you'd want to play as an action RPG, but doesn't quite work that way. For better or worse though, it's way more interesting gameplay-wise than the previous two games. If only XIII-2 hadn't sent the series mythology down the pooper :P

So glad you at least mentioned the music. I thought the vocal tracks were so so strong.
    Also, interesting you say reduced difficulty. I remember on 13 when I figured out that I could just skirt around enemies I completely abused it which in turn made Odin, the final boss, and Dahaka (boss on a tower in gran pulse) stupid hard. As well as a few select fights. That was definitely my fault.

But do you really feel it was 13-2 that ruined the story? Lightning Returns threw itself so far ahead in the time line that it could've redeemed itself... but you're kind of making me want to give it another shot (peer pressure is so rough). Like I said, and I meant it, I bought lightning returns on day 1 and was so disappointed by the first 15 hours that I took it back. Does it get better after that? I will, however, concede to one point: the combat IS interesting... haha interesting, yes.
    15 hours in a pretty big chunk, so if you hated it after that then maybe that's just how it is. I personally found building the dress schematics with different skills and equipment a lot of fun.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'd like to give a shout-out to Time Stalkers, an "ultra-light" roguelike on the Dreamcast, good for newcomers to the genre. This game has already been discussed in RPG Backtrack #72, "This is the Climax".

Quick highlights: even though you start every dungeon at level 1 in Time Stalkers, each party member (both heroes and recruitable monsters!) level up their Title, a measure of their maximum potential strength, and Title levels are permanent. Also, dungeons are fairly easy and there is no permadeath, only the loss of unequipped items.

LOL, yeah, Fatal Labyrinth is a bad game. If you play Fatal Labyrinth on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, you can "cheat" by abusing save states, and finish the game fairly easily.

Fatal Labyrinth had a spiritual successor by the same creators, Dragon Crystal for the Sega Game Gear and Genesis. Gameplay is almost exactly the same, and just as bad. If you get Dragon Crystal on the 3DS eShop, you can "cheat" by using the Virtual Console function to save and reload, making the game easy to finish.

Fatal Labyrinth and Dragon Crystal both have almost no story at all. There are brief endings for finishing each game, for whatever that's worth.

I tried Baroque once and did not care for its drab colors, depressing setting, and worst of all, clunky camera and user-unfriendly controls in its action-ish combat. Cassandra's in-depth story summary was amazing, the highlight of the show.

Lufia 1 is barely playable due to its absurdly high encounter rate, but SNES Lufia 2 truly is an excellent game. My recommendation: keep a few backup saves around for whatever party you want to use in the Ancient Cave (since your party members change as the game progresses), and finish the game. Then play around with the Ancient Cave.

I advise this because Lufia 2 has a story that's worth seeing all the way through, and if you get hooked on the Ancient Cave then you might never get around to beating the game.

I had never heard of the PSP game Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman before. I must track this game down! To eBay!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    So glad you at least mentioned the music. I thought the vocal tracks were so so strong.
    Also, interesting you say reduced difficulty. I remember on 13 when I figured out that I could just skirt around enemies I completely abused it which in turn made Odin, the final boss, and Dahaka (boss on a tower in gran pulse) stupid hard. As well as a few select fights. That was definitely my fault.

But do you really feel it was 13-2 that ruined the story? Lightning Returns threw itself so far ahead in the time line that it could've redeemed itself... but you're kind of making me want to give it another shot (peer pressure is so rough). Like I said, and I meant it, I bought lightning returns on day 1 and was so disappointed by the first 15 hours that I took it back. Does it get better after that? I will, however, concede to one point: the combat IS interesting... haha interesting, yes.

The vocal tracks are awesome. Love that soundtrack. The final area's difficulty was certainly a jump, so why isn't anything else in the game nearly that difficult? Kind of hard to properly learn the game's systems when everything is a cakewalk.

Sure it jumped in the timeline but... it's still a completely broken timeline. Not much to work with. I wouldn't say the game gets better or worse after 15 hours beside having more combat options the farther in you get, but maybe give it another shot and approach it a bit differently? Just go in, mess around, don't sweat the time limit etc.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif