If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XV Gets Release Date Plus a Lot More

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This is not a joke. After ten years and a name change, Final Fantasy XV has a release date and it is this year. In fact, it's only half a year away.

[Story]

Comments

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    I will admit the game does look pretty, and I do hope that it is good. Unfortunately the gameplay, characterizations, and premise, just isn't what I am interested in. And considering my growing disappointment with each additional FF title, I doubt my perspective will change. But who knows, if the reviews are stellar, I may give it further consideration.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited March 2016
    wait till you see the awful framerate, also the LE sold out in less than 5 minutes, one guy got 20 + of them to scalp since SE didnt put a limit
    Spoiler:
    also the car transforms and flies, stealing from Xenoblade X I see
  • TheMooseTheMoose Member Full Members
    With Star Ocean "Integrity and Faithlessness" to be launched on June 28, 2016 and Final Fantasy XV on September 30, 2016 in North America, its going to be a banner year for Namco Bandai and Square Enix RPGs. Let's hope we get news about Dragon Quest 11 and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 North American releases soon.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    None of the themes, characters, or aesthetics really do anything for me with FFXV. I hope it does well though, considering everything SE put into this project. It's like another Fabula Nova Crystallis...so much money and resources poured into a multi-media project.

The game lacks color to me literally and figuratively. Lack of diversity in all the characters in the game, lack of actual "colors" everything is black or grey...
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    sirsniffy wrote: »
    It's like another Fabula Nova Crystallis...so much money and resources poured into a multi-media project.

Not like it so much as it is Fabula Nova Crystallis. Final Fantasy XV used to be Versus XIII as part of that project.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 1
    deleted.
    smacd wrote: »
    Has anyone played that demo? If so, if the screenshots and whatnot hasn't sold me on the game, do you think the demo might?

I've been seriously uninterested in the dudebro roadtrip theme, or the entire "real-world" like setting, or any of the characters. Other than the FF name, there has been nothing at all telling me its something I could even consider being interested in. I plan to try the demo, but I hear its not part of the actual game.
    not only is it not part of the game the demo is pretty much met with dissappointment

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2016
    Has anyone played that demo? If so, if the screenshots and whatnot hasn't sold me on the game, do you think the demo might?

I've been seriously uninterested in the dudebro roadtrip theme, or the entire "real-world" like setting, or any of the characters. Other than the FF name, there has been nothing at all telling me its something I could even consider being interested in. I plan to try the demo, but I hear its not part of the actual game.
    The demo is free to download, and it's essentially a tech demo through a dream. Exploring a few locales as child Noctis while following Carbuncle, buttons you step on along the way to change weather and time of day, a few fights (that feel KH-ish) to show off the basics of the battle system, and the various spell effects. Then it ends in a boss fight against an Iron Giant with you as adult Noctis, giving you the arsenal you can use, including his "Limit Break", warping, and whatnot. It felt a bit like KH combined with a few things from the previous FF15 demo.

It'd be easier for you to watch one of the many gameplay videos for the platinum demo on Youtube to determine for yourself. I rather liked it enough to where I'll be buying it when it comes out.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I will not honestly believe FFXV is releasing on September 30 until I walk into a store and see an honest-to-Arceus set of cases on the shelf.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited April 1
    deleted.
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    I think the idea is to attract new fans given the dramatic changes. I think the game looks great and am excited to play it.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    Good to know about the demo. I'm planning to give it a shot when I have a chance.

So I'm reading that they need to sell 10 million copies of the game for it to be considered a "success". Are they absolutely insane? Even FF7 didn't sell 10 million copies. I just can't see how they'll do it, especially if longtime FF fans like myself are really wary of what we're seeing.

Is it terrible that I am secretly hoping they fail? With a deep set hope that they would return to the roots of FF games as a result. But knowing SE, they won't.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
    edited April 1
    deleted.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    sirsniffy wrote: »
    The game lacks color to me literally and figuratively. Lack of diversity in all the characters in the game, lack of actual "colors" everything is black or grey...
    I DL the demo but haven't played it yet. I also don't like the lack of color. To have all 4 dudes dressed in black is boring to me.

• TaikaTaika Member Full Members
    Well... these were the most compelling trailers I had seen yet, though that may be faint praise. The graphics are beautiful. The use of an American song is frankly shocking. But after FFXIII I swore I'd stop buying every FF game just because - it looked boring in the previews, and it was. This too... and beyond that, I just can't relate to the whole bro-vacation thing. It doesn't feel epic if that's a significant portion of the game, and there also seems to be conspicuous lack of female characters in the main party... isn't just about a first for Final Fantasy?
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    Boring demo with some mixed quality in graphics. Some things look stunning while other things look worse than PS2 graphics. Some parths look like a PS3 game. Effects were really cool.

The combat was uh, boring? I only held circle and that was it. The iron gian fight was decent, I guess.

The music was godlike and I have been listening to it on youtube thanks to an uploader having a playlist. The battle theme is one of my favorite of all time.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Ff15 bombing would be devastating.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    Ff15 bombing would be devastating.

Well, at this rate, it bombing raises the question of destroying SE, let alone the franchise. While that initially doesn't sound terrible, it could crash the development of DQXI as well as Eidos's current projects.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I suppose I'm not 100% in the know for SE's finances, but I'm willing to bet they would never throw so much money at a single thing that they end up Squaresoft movies screwed.
    I think they already did with FFXIV's 1.0 build, until the changes up until 2.0 saved it and got the money back.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 1
    deleted.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    This is why I still think Enix was absolutely stupid for not only "merging with" (buying out) Squaresoft, but then putting their obviously failed leadership in charge of the resulting company. To this day I cannot figure out what the Enix execs were smoking when those decisions were made. Squaresoft is like a wife with a credit card with no limit and no self control on Black Friday.

Well, Sakaguchi was the lunatic with no regards to credit limit back at the turn of the millennium. He left the moment the merger went through. Hell, from what I have read, Enix was really reluctant to move forward after the movie debacle. Somehow, Yoichi Wada, the recently hired businessman, got really closed to the Enix execs and convinced them that he could totally make this all work out. Thus, after less than a year at Squaresoft, he found himself in charge of SE and spent the next dozen years being a dumbass, more so than Sakaguchi ever was.

Sakaguchi was a game developer that should never had control over budgets; when it came to directing and producing actual projects, he struck gold more often than not. Wada was a businessman without any knowledge of game developing; he was hands-off in development but heavy-handed in production. He adopted the Western AAA production ideal of crap out anything with a brand name for a quick buck, but, since he didn't know how game development worked, he just deferred to his developers. The issue is that, as we have unfortunately learned over the last ten years, one should never, ever allow Tetsuya Nomura developmental free-reign and no budget limits. Hell, the other teams didn't do much better--Sakaguchi green-lighted Matsuno's FFXII, but production was largely overseen by Wada (who eventually realized something was wrong and pulled the plug and soft-reset development so something would get out of the door before 2006 ended). Hell, the only reason FFVSXIII/XV is even coming out now is that the new president finally got tired of this BS and pulled the same move as Wada did in 05.

Basically, the underlying problem is that this company keeps putting the least qualified person in the president seat each time. Hopefully they finally got someone that balance things properly, since we've seen the extremes on both ends so far.
    ClixPsi.png
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Ff15 bombing sales wise would be bad for jrpgs in general. If you're a fan of the genre, you might want to hope this game does well. Because triple a jrpgs might not existent anymore. And some may not care, but I still want to see what the genre looks like pushed to budget and tech limits. I like my 3ds RPGs, but I can't fathom a game market without final fantasy pushing the genre to its limit like a big triple a game.
    its not going to bomb but it will likely be a relative failure in the eyes of SE, rumor is they need to sell 10 million copies for them to consider it a success. To put that in perspective only FFVII has sold that much and it took multiple re-releases to do it.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    OMFG IS THAT THE MIDGAR ZOLOM!?