If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Favorite Wizardry?

JCServantJCServant Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited March 2016 in Role Playing Games
@MegaGac on twitter asked, "Never played a Wizardry game and I know you're pretty big on them. Which would you recommend for me to get the full experience"

The Short Answer / 140 Character tweet: Wiz 8 not only epitomizes what made the Wiz series great, but pushes forward in a new direction creating a fresh, deep experience.

The longer, better answer. I felt I needed more than 140 characters to answer this properly from my perspective. So, I'll post my answer here, which gives other people a chance to jump in on the convo, as well!!

Personally, I'm not super familiar with the original series as a whole (The PC run of Wizardry 1 through 8)... However, I am familiar with the later games, including Wizardry 6-8, and later console games such as Wizardry Tales of the Forsake Lands (PS2), Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (PS3) as well as some of the spiritual successors such as Class of Heroes (1 and 2) and Operation Abyss.

If you want the deepest, most hard core/raw Wizardry experience, you can't go wrong with Wizardry 7. But this time, they pretty much ironed out the formula, so to speak. And, this was really the last old school PC Wizardry game. It's deep, with tons of character customization that the series is known for, as well as super hard combat, and plenty of puzzles (a FAQ is recommended!).

To be honest, i never got TOO far with Wiz 6 or 7. They were super hard, and after dying a few dozen times and/or getting stuck on a puzzle, I would give up. Mind you, this was before FAQs. With that said, I loved the formula, and would return from time to time and make a new party to try again. That kept me interested long enough until the next game in the series came out....

Wizardry 8 took the formula a huge step forward. While you still have all the team building, stat crunching, customization that Wizardry is known for, they added a layer of depth to the combat. Unlike previous games in the series, movement was free, instead of being tied to 90 degree angles. Enemies would attack from any angle, as well, or even surround the party... so who you placed to cover your flanks became an important consideration. While difficult, I felt the puzzles and combat to be not only more enjoyable, but more approachable. It really felt like the genre was finally evolving, without moving to a new genre (like turn based RPGs that become RTS or FPS hybrids). It really is a shame, IMHO, that future games/spinoffs would revert back to the super old school 90 degree approach.

The Playstation games feel a bit stiff and limited compared to the PC games, especially Wiz 8. I'm not sure I would spend more time on them, given the choice. However, I have enjoyed the handheld games, notably Class of Heroes 2G and Operation Abyss. Both borrow heavily from the Wiz formula, though you may not think so given their anime look. From classes to stats to combat, once you dive in, you'll see the similarities. Hell, they even use the D&D venetian spell casting system. I wanna say Wizardry 1-5 uses that system, as well, so you KNOW its old school, lol (IIRC, Wiz 6-8 uses magic points, divided by school). Don't let the cutesy looks fool you, though. These handheld iterations LOOK cute, with their school themes and JRPG graphics, but they have much (if not ALL) the old school complexity and difficulty found in the PC Wizardry games.

I hope this helps :) Let me know!
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited April 2016
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I noticed 6-7 and 8 both Gog and Steam and was just curious if they were the "better" ones to buy. You pretty much answered every bit of that question and more. I recently finished my gaming pc build so I'm wanting to play some of the PC games of all genres I've missed out on
    aka @megagac on twitter
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    ghaleon80 wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I noticed 6-7 and 8 both Gog and Steam and was just curious if they were the "better" ones to buy. You pretty much answered every bit of that question and more. I recently finished my gaming pc build so I'm wanting to play some of the PC games of all genres I've missed out on
    aka @megagac on twitter

Oh hey, congrats! The PC is my favorite platform, so to speak. It's hugely backwards compatible, and hosts the most of the types of games/rpgs I like most. And, hey, more and more of those platform style games/rpgs are coming over to PC everyday! :)

If you're looking for more help about awesome PC games, and you think your tastes might align with my own, you might be interested in my new YouTube series that I'm working on, "The Gaming Experience." What is The Gaming Experience??

Join me on a a trek through my favorite 100 or so PC games (and series), covering three decades! Instead of counting them down in order of preference, I share my personal experiences in chronological order. More than a review, yet less than a full "let's plays," these "Gamer's Experience" videos take you through the game, my thoughts and feelings both THEN and NOW!

I have only started recently, so only two are up...but I'm going to try and add more nearly every weekend. If you don't want to wait 2-4 years for me to finish this project, you can check out my 'living list' of games I'm planning on covering. Let me know if it's useful, or if you have any questions in particular :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    Yeah i denied PC gaming for so long because i am very much a controller guy. Little did i know with just a little searching there was programs that allow me to use a controller on any game. Most even come with controller compatibility now. I will definitely check out "The Gaming Experience" and do my best to spread the word.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Wizardry is unfortunately one of the old series that I never had a chance to play. I have Wizardry 6-8 from GOG, but I haven't had much drive to play them yet at this point, especially as HLTB has long reported Wizardry 8 as having a very long playtime. I may have dabbled in a Wizardry game on the NES when I was a kid, but I don't recall.

Is there anything good about Wizardry 1-5? I know next to nothing about them, and they aren't on GOG or Steam, and the last time I looked for LPs on youtube for them there just weren't any it seemed. Its like the series doesn't even really exist before 6.
    smacd wrote: »
    Wizardry is unfortunately one of the old series that I never had a chance to play. I have Wizardry 6-8 from GOG, but I haven't had much drive to play them yet at this point, especially as HLTB has long reported Wizardry 8 as having a very long playtime. I may have dabbled in a Wizardry game on the NES when I was a kid, but I don't recall.

Is there anything good about Wizardry 1-5? I know next to nothing about them, and they aren't on GOG or Steam, and the last time I looked for LPs on youtube for them there just weren't any it seemed. Its like the series doesn't even really exist before 6.
    Hhahahaha. Fair question. I did get to spend a little time with a few of them through the years... They are good to play as a part of understanding our RPG History.... but since 6 and 7 do them, but better, I generally recommend them first. Oh, and did I mention they're hard? They are, really. Anywho, Wiz8 is the best, IMHO, and the only one I actually sat down and beat (which is saying something). But, since it does move to a 3D, free floating engine with a very tweaked combat system, it leaves Wiz 7 as the best completely old school entry in the series.

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wasn't this the series where a poor party selection could make it impossible to get past the first room of one game? And another time where the developers obviously expected the player to map out the entire dungeon on paper, because the necessary password to get through the door at the end was actually spelled out that way?

I only know this series from its reputation, but... that's not necessarily a good thing.
    Wasn't this the series where a poor party selection could make it impossible to get past the first room of one game? And another time where the developers obviously expected the player to map out the entire dungeon on paper, because the necessary password to get through the door at the end was actually spelled out that way?

I only know this series from its reputation, but... that's not necessarily a good thing.

Indeed... you definitely need 'balanced parties' here. Forget a rogue, and some dastardly deadly trap will kill a member or wipe a party. Heck...even if you HAVE a rogue, if he rolls bad, you can still lose a limb or something. My run through of Wiz 8 wasn't nearly has difficult, however. They really changed it up there. Don't get me wrong...you still want balanced parties and thought put into your skill/point selection to have the best chance of survival. And there are still a few odd puzzles that block your progress (one required me to FAQ through...grrrr...). But, compared to the older games, it's a walk through Disneyland.

I haven't heard about that dungeon...but it wouldn't surprise me. The old games didn't have auto map, yet most of the larger areas absolutely required hand drawn maps with notes to navigate. Going on memory would cause you to waste a ton of time...or even hinder your progress altogether.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2016
    The "first room of the game" thing involved a light spell or something similar, without which it was either impossible to open the door or impossible to FIND the door (I forget which).

And I think there was one game where you were actually playing an evil party attempting to break out of the dungeon and into the open world, but you had to fend off parties of adventures -- and these parties were all pulled from actual player parties that had beaten previous installments, with no accounting for game balance?

I wish I could remember where I heard most of this, but I'm pretty sure it was a podcast on this site.

Also, at what point did the entire series get appropriated by Japanese RPG developers? Because I've seen at least three different Wizardry games in my local Book-Off for variously higher-than-normal prices.
  • StormJayneStormJayne SingaporeFull Members
    edited September 18
    I have played something about a wizardly game called "Nox"
    well simply you have to pick from Warrior/Wizard/Conjurer

Warrior = Brute force uses maces/hammer/long swords/swords well anything probably i prefer hammer
    Wizard = Probably High Level of magic Fire/Earth/Electricity/ etc dark magic includes
    Conjurer = Is like a mid class can cast come magic from wizard can use some weapon from the warrior class

It's like a diablo 1 and 2 graphics it's pretty fun.. to play Immo....

Ps: This game is old as ef...