If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - April - From Software

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
With the upcoming release of Dark Souls 3, I've chosen to celebrate the catalog of From Software this month. Most commonly known these days for the Souls games (and Bloodborne), they have been in business since 1994, when they released the original King's Field. There were four numbered King's Field games, and they very much inform the Souls games, though the King's Field games are played from the first person view. They have also released the Armored Core series and various one-offs like Enchanted Arms, Chromehounds and The Adventures of Cookies and Cream. They also occasionally act as a publisher for other developers as well, but primarily in Japan.

All From Software RPGs are up for grabs this month, though I suspect most will be playing games from the Souls series. I have played the first Dark Souls a bit, ringing the first bell, but got a bit stuck from there. The addition of this game to XBOne backwards comparability means that I will have the opportunity to give it another chance. Enjoy!

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2016
    I remember playing King's Field (2, the first one we got here but without the number) at a friends when I was younger. I remember liking the game, but never having enough time to really get into it. I'd love to get to that series at some point, but it probably wont ever happen (ugh backlog). I've played Enchanted Arms, really didn't care for it. Actually, ranks among my least favorite JRPGs of the last gen.

I'm already playing Demon's Souls. Decided to play it on an offline burner account, because I don't want to feel like I have to chase all the trophies. It feels really primitive compared to the Dark Souls games I've played. I'm not particularly enamoured by the level layout, and just how annoying it is to try to get specific weapons, and how stingy they are with soul drops. I just want a bow FFS. I've finished 1-1, made it to the boss in 2-1 but having a hard time going in with melee, and I've since been working on trying to get to the bow I'm told is in 4-1. At least spears are more like Dark Souls 1 than 2, I like turtling.

Kind of glad to get this game done before my son is born, as not having a proper pause means I'd likely never play it if I didn't play now.

Update: Finally got to the Compound Long Bow... and promptly got a Compound Short Bow as a drop a few minutes later. Sigh. But at least I got a bow. I've already got it to +3, now I need to farm those miners to get enough spiderstones to move it to sticky. Also defeated the boss in 2-1, so I've got 1-1 and 2-1 finished. Not really sure where I want to go next.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I might sit down and give EM Enchant Arms (Enchanted Arms) another whirl
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I might sit down and give EM Enchant Arms (Enchanted Arms) another whirl

If you do, switch the voice acting over to Japanese. It actually does improve the overall experience.
    ClixPsi.png
    Bad dubbing doesn't bother me since I tend to play games muted anyways
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    I have been playing Bloodborne on newgame+ and also tackling The Old Hunters DLC. I'm getting towards the end of both but have a ways to go. Right now making my way through the Fishing Hamlet which might just be one of my favorite areas of the game, really like the setting and it also has a nice variety of enemies.
    edited April 2016
    I just got my sticky compound bow to +3 for the A scaling on DEX. I'm not sure if there is too much value in continuing to grind for spiderstone shards to get it to +4 or +5 though, however I do have enough of the higher level spiderstones to do it. I just think it'll take me like 5 or 6 more hours to get 12 more shards.

I think I'm ready to start moving forward with the rest of the game. I've finished the boss in 1-1 and 2-1, and I've explored about half of 4-1 but haven't gone further than the miniboss really. I haven't touched 3-1 or 5-1 yet. Not sure if I should try to finish 4-1 or go through another area.

I also want to find a better spear than the short spear, which I'm assuming is one of the worst spears in the game.

UPDATE: I finished 1-2 as well as killed the red dragon, and made further progress in 4-1. In 4-1 I have come to the backside of the keep where I am facing gold-armor skeletons that are posing a bit of a challenge, though I made it to the fog gate behind them I don't feel ready to move beyond it yet. I explored up to the first fog gate in 3-1 as well. I swapped my short spear+3 for a Quality Winged Spear +2 and I'm already seeing much better damage output. I also picked up a Purple Flame Shield and bumped it to +2. I think I'm mostly set on equipment other than bumping the levels up. I don't feel like I've really made much progress at all in the game though, and I've spent an annoying amount of time grinding for souls and materials. I would have taken my spear down the Sharp route, but I read up that this Pure Bladestone is a pain in the butt to get, and since I needed my STR up to 22 anyway for the shield, might as well go Quality rather than just straight DEX.

I also now understand why people call a STR/DEX build "quality". Never made much sense coming from a Dark Souls 1&2 background.

UPDATE 2: This game would be a lot better if I hadn't already played Dark Souls. The level design is completely uninspired and I'm finding myself bored by the exploration in it. Probably would have loved the game had I played it first like some people did though. I'm having a rough time feeling inspired enough to actually play the game, and find myself grinding instead, which is only marginally more interesting. On the other hand, I'm still feeling burned out on the Souls formula, after playing DS2 a year ago.

UPDATE 3: I finished 3-1 and saved Freke, and I also finished 4-1. Both of those bosses were particularly easy. Then I spent the souls on bumping my Purple Flame Shield from +2 to +4. I also spent a little time grinding for more spiderstone shards but I didn't get enough for the next level on my bow. I'll probably start exploring 5-1 next time I play. I'm not really sure where to get Clearstones easily for my spear to be upgraded, but I suppose I could look it up.
    edited April 2016
    Update 4: Had a busy day. I upgraded my Purple Flame Shield to +10, my Quality Winged Spear to +4, and my Sticky Composite Long Bow to +5. Bumped my soul level up about 40 more to 87, heavily investing in Vitality, Endurance, Strength and especially Dex. I then completed the entire exploration and boss battles for 2-2, 2-3, and 5-1.

So I've got 1-3, 1-4, 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, 4-3, 5-2, 5-3 still to do, and then whatever comes after that if anything. It looks like I'm approximately 50% of the way through the game at this point.

Update 5: I finished 4-2 and 4-3. I'm pretty much at the point where the enemies and bosses aren't really putting up much of a challenge, but that's fine with me. I'm looking to be done with this game on the quick side rather than beating my head over it (which is why I'm using maps and boss strategies and weapon upgrade planning information when I normally wouldn't for a Souls game)

1-3, 1-4, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2 and 5-3 are all that's left. With any luck I'll be done sometime mid week.

Update 6: Knocked out 3-2 and 3-3. I absolutely made use of the fog-gate exploit for the Maneaters. Fighting just one melee wasn't particularly too much of an issue, though I might have struggled a bit with two of them in that environment had I not used the exploit. Since I'm playing offline, the 3-3 boss was just the AI black phantom (and at this point I figure it would probably have been anyway even if I had played online). Nearly no challenge.

1-3, 1-4, 5-2, and 5-3 are left. I'll be tackling world 5 tomorrow. I hear 5-2 is a pretty hated area. Depending on how much time I have, I may try to finish world 1 as well.
    With Dark Souls III out today maybe some more people will chime in.
    I took down Micolash(might have spelled that wrong) in Bloodborne, forgot how the enemies in the area chasing him can sometimes be more deadly than he is.
    With Dark Souls III out today maybe some more people will chime in.

Yeah I figured that's why I was talking to myself mostly, and decided to just update my posts so as to not spam the thread too much.

Hopefully DS3 is good, though I'm hearing a lot of crashing issues. I'd normally wait about a year to pick it up, but given life situation changes I'll probably end up not playing it. Lacking a proper pause function combined with a newborn doesn't sound like it helps being a good father or husband. Maybe I'll get it in a few years.

And another overnight for me whci means more of me not playing any console games T_T
    sig.gif

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I cannot seem to find my copy of Demon Souls for this. I remember that I let my brother borrow some games, so they may be with him...they BETTER be with him.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    redwing42 wrote: »
    I have played the first Dark Souls a bit, ringing the first bell, but got a bit stuck from there. The addition of this game to XBOne backwards comparability means that I will have the opportunity to give it another chance. Enjoy!

I'd offer to help you with that, but, in what I consider to be the Souls series biggest failing, the coop mechanics are a pain in the butt. It's very difficult to group with people you want to group with, and you need humanity which is in very short supply if you're new to the game.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Finally put a bit of time in this evening. Decided to start over, using a cleric. Got to the first bonfire in the Undead Burg, and I'm remembering the dread that comes with not knowing if you are heading the right direction or getting ready to walk in circles for an hour.
    I finished 5-2, 5-3 and I think 1-3 on tuesday night. And then my wife's water broke. I don't know when or if I will manage to make it back to finish the game.
    Started up Demon's Souls, and after much pain today, I managed to clear 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. Dear god the amount of deaths and time it's taking to recover from them is terrifying. I died so much in 1-2 to that stupid dragon that I finally had enough and spent 30 minutes on top of the first guard tower just to kill the blasted thing so it would never come back. The boss of 2-1 was just as annoying, with its flame breath.

It reached the point to where I ended up taking a side route to some treasure that dragon had been guarding on 1-1...and his twin was surprisingly absent. Ended up getting the Purple Flame Shield, which is apparently one of the best shields in the game, and the Ring of Flame Resistance. I barely managed to get the shield to +3, but it and the ring were enough to turn the tables on the spider boss, though I went through multiple healing items during that one. I hope to get a little further on this later.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    I finished 5-2, 5-3 and I think 1-3 on tuesday night. And then my wife's water broke. I don't know when or if I will manage to make it back to finish the game.

This isn't exactly the place for this, but congratulations for you and your wife. Though, sort of keeping with this thread, your life just got a lot harder, but the rewards should be worth more than every trial you two will now face.
    ClixPsi.png
    Clix wrote: »
    This isn't exactly the place for this, but congratulations for you and your wife. Though, sort of keeping with this thread, your life just got a lot harder, but the rewards should be worth more than every trial you two will now face.

Thanks for the well wishes! And it is a fairly correct comparison heh.
    Started up Demon's Souls, and after much pain today, I managed to clear 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. Dear god the amount of deaths and time it's taking to recover from them is terrifying. I died so much in 1-2 to that stupid dragon that I finally had enough and spent 30 minutes on top of the first guard tower just to kill the blasted thing so it would never come back. The boss of 2-1 was just as annoying, with its flame breath.

It reached the point to where I ended up taking a side route to some treasure that dragon had been guarding on 1-1...and his twin was surprisingly absent. Ended up getting the Purple Flame Shield, which is apparently one of the best shields in the game, and the Ring of Flame Resistance. I barely managed to get the shield to +3, but it and the ring were enough to turn the tables on the spider boss, though I went through multiple healing items during that one. I hope to get a little further on this later.

IIRC the dragon in 1-1 moves to 1-2 once you go there, so its the same dragon. I also had a hard time with the armored spider in 2-1, but it seemed like bows (or maybe magic) were the key. I just sat at the fog gate and shot him with arrows till he died. Good luck with it. Do you know where you plan to go next, and what type of build are you running?
    IIRC the dragon in 1-1 moves to 1-2 once you go there, so its the same dragon. I also had a hard time with the armored spider in 2-1, but it seemed like bows (or maybe magic) were the key. I just sat at the fog gate and shot him with arrows till he died. Good luck with it. Do you know where you plan to go next, and what type of build are you running?
    I sadly do not have much in the way of arrows, so I ended up throwing spells at him until he died. I chose Royalty as my starting class, and so far I'm mostly just putting points into str, vit, and mag, with points going into dex if I need it for a shiny new weapon. Basically, spell swording it up. Hasn't failed me just yet, though I'm starting to see the need to up end so I can deal with the constant heavy hits from enemies with more stamina.
    I sadly do not have much in the way of arrows, so I ended up throwing spells at him until he died. I chose Royalty as my starting class, and so far I'm mostly just putting points into str, vit, and mag, with points going into dex if I need it for a shiny new weapon. Basically, spell swording it up. Hasn't failed me just yet, though I'm starting to see the need to up end so I can deal with the constant heavy hits from enemies with more stamina.

You might want to head to 4-1 and try to get ahold of the curved falchion +1 (it's fairly near the beginning). I believe it has a MP regen effect, and it deals magic-based damage so it might be useful for some boss fights.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2016
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Finally put a bit of time in this evening. Decided to start over, using a cleric. Got to the first bonfire in the Undead Burg, and I'm remembering the dread that comes with not knowing if you are heading the right direction or getting ready to walk in circles for an hour.

Unless you're attempting New Londo or the crypts, heading into the Burg will lead you in the right direction. Aside from a few side paths, they all lead back to the firebomber's bridge outside that bonfire you mentioned. Just proceed from there. The only part that will throw you off after that is remembering that key you picked up in the Parish is used on a locked door right before the drake's bridge. Unless you started with the master key, then you can forget that, head to the locked grate door in New Londo just besides the elevator, and follow that to the cavern that leads to the elevators down to the swamp. That step skips a lot of suffering, but you do need a certain item in the sewers.

I've got about a week left in Xbox Live subscription. Let me know if you want a hand.
    Thanks for the knowledge on that. The sword helped with my spellcasting, and I managed to complete world 2 in its entirety. 2-2 was a pain, with my deaths counting up due to the caterpillars and their unholy HP amounts. The last 2 bosses...were surprisingly underwhelming. I managed to kill them with little problems, due to me looking up the Dragon God's boss fight, and the fire guy just had no range, so after noticing his attacks, I figured out quickly how to dodge them. Managed to get the Lava Bow unlocked, and I fell in love with it easily, it wrecks things.
    Continuing in Demon's Souls, I managed to beat World 1 and get the Demonbrandt...albeit barely. I died numerous times at the boss of 1-4, before I started getting into the groove and dodging all his attacks while firing with the bow. The Blue Dragon here was also a pain, with me using all the arrows I had just to kill it. I'm hoping the later bosses are not this hard, it was a total pain to pull off. I'll have to put some more points in to equip that shiny new sword, because it seems to be one of the better weapons in the game.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    i was watching my friend play dark souls 3 through the ps4 share play thing. it looks amazing. i wish i could play it an enjoy it the way he does. i just like dressing up and using cool weapons.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Well, I found a few hours to sit down and get through 1-4 and the endgame section while my boy is sleeping and the wife is unconscious on the bed trying to get a few hours in herself. I took down the blue dragon with a few hundred light & holy arrows, and managed to get past the 1-4 boss in one run, but it was close a few times. That dude hits HARD. The endgame and final battle was a little anti-climatic, but c'est la guerre. I went with the "good" ending, and I can finally put this one off my list. My final thoughts will be in the 2016 game completion thread.

I'm glad to hear generally good things about Dark Souls 3. I don't think I'll get a chance to play any time soon, but who knows how life will be in the future. I usually play Dark Souls games about a year after release, to make the invasions a little less frequent, and to have better online resources and that all the secrets will be found so I can not have to go through all that. I'm just not sure if I'll get another chance to play a game without a proper pause function as long as my kid is so dependent.

Continuing in Demon's Souls, I managed to beat World 1 and get the Demonbrandt...albeit barely. I died numerous times at the boss of 1-4, before I started getting into the groove and dodging all his attacks while firing with the bow. The Blue Dragon here was also a pain, with me using all the arrows I had just to kill it. I'm hoping the later bosses are not this hard, it was a total pain to pull off. I'll have to put some more points in to equip that shiny new sword, because it seems to be one of the better weapons in the game.

Yeah, I'm hearing that 1-3 and 1-4 are usually recommended for later in the playthrough, given the difficulty. I was reading several analyses of orders people tended to use when I was trying to figure out what I would do, and the vast majority of people did 1-4 last (the other common one was 5-3 being last). Having just finished the game myself, I can definitely say that the False King Allant was the most challenging of the final world bosses, he was able to inflict far more damage on me than any of the others, especially that dumb soul suck. I was going to just bow him from the fog gate, but I was running low on arrows from taking out the blue dragon on the same run. I got him down to 1/3 health before taking him on melee, and he still almost got me a few times. So yeah, I mean if you can take him, I think most of the rest of the bosses should be much easier. 3-2's boss might be the biggest problem (I'd say use the fog gate exploit to make the fight easier, but if you like the challenge, its all good).
    Yeah, I'm hearing that 1-3 and 1-4 are usually recommended for later in the playthrough, given the difficulty. I was reading several analyses of orders people tended to use when I was trying to figure out what I would do, and the vast majority of people did 1-4 last (the other common one was 5-3 being last). Having just finished the game myself, I can definitely say that the False King Allant was the most challenging of the final world bosses, he was able to inflict far more damage on me than any of the others, especially that dumb soul suck. I was going to just bow him from the fog gate, but I was running low on arrows from taking out the blue dragon on the same run. I got him down to 1/3 health before taking him on melee, and he still almost got me a few times. So yeah, I mean if you can take him, I think most of the rest of the bosses should be much easier. 3-2's boss might be the biggest problem (I'd say use the fog gate exploit to make the fight easier, but if you like the challenge, its all good).
    That would explain it. I'm aiming for world 5 to be my final world.

I finished up world 3, but dear god this was the most painful one to date. Too many places to die at, a ton of flying enemies, enclosed spaces where you either fall to your doom or kill the enemy coming at you, and THE ACCURSED MANEATER AND MINDFLAYERS. I spent hours getting through 3-2 because of all the BS thrown my way. 3-1 was easier, yet still dicey due to the mindflayers. But 3-2...the gargoyles coming out of nowhere to knock me off platforms, mindflayers on a circular staircase without railing, dying multiple times to the maneaters due to their fast attack speed and pouncing...the final boss of world 3 was way easier in comparison.

I also managed to clear 4-1, and I didn't have too much problems with the boss since I have the Homing Soul Arrows. Here's hoping the rest of the world will be easy to complete. But knowing how the game has been so far, it won't be. :/
    I was playing some Armored Core 3 and that game is harder than I remembered. Partly because I'm not always sure on where to go in some missions, still a good game though and the PSP port seems fine so far. After AC5 didn't do so well I wonder if they might be done with this series, I hope not.
    Forgot to log this, but I've been playing Dark Souls after beating Demon's Souls. This game is easier yet harder than Demon's Souls at the same time. It's easier to parry and counter than it was in Demon's Souls, and backstabs are easier too. The environments and placements of enemies however, make this harder than Demon's Souls. Over the past week, I've made it to where I must defeat the 4 Lords. Of which I've defeated Nito.

A warning for those who have not played the game before but plan on going after him...get a Divine weapon and level it up ASAP just for this area. Enemies are all skeletons and cannot stay down unless you kill them with a Divine weapon, with the exception of the boss. It made the place way more annoying than it should have, especially considering Divine weapons are not too powerful, yet these enemies have a ton of health.