If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 164: Beyond the Legend

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Sega had a lot of franchises that have been abandoned over the years, and one with a focus on fighting and summoning spirits showed up on the Genesis and Saturn. Then Oasis vanished, with Sega seemingly uninterested in bringing it back.
Also, lots of WWE talk this time.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Excellent. Two game reviews and then a podcast about them. While I was familiar with both games, I've never actually played either.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I'm surprised it took until the 59 minute mark before beyond the beyond was mentioned.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Well, you know...we try to push the pain away.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I bought and played Defenders of Oasis on the 3DS eShop for $3.99, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Like all "Virtual Console" eShop games, this emulation effectively allows the player to save the game anywhere.

The turn-based combat does get repetitive because there are very few battle options. The genie's "escape" spell from the Cave of the Wise dungeon is a must-have, because it allows the player to run from battles with a 100% success rate. This makes the endless random battles much less tedious.

The ending of Defenders of Oasis deserves a special mention. Without giving spoilers, it's a little bit different from the standard heroic fantasy JRPG ending.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Awesome, Victar!! Thanks for that...I will make sure to read your quick run down of the game on our next episode!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Thank you for another awesome podcast! Found this after finishing the Active Topical Banter backlog, so perfect timing!