If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 165: Lunar Excursion

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
A certain game involving a young man's dreams of being a Dragonmaster, and his childhood friend's unfortunate appearance on the radar of villainy, showed up on the Sega CD before making it to multiple other systems. Apparently the Silver Star Story was worth doing more than once.
Iwadare battle tracks may be present.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Thankfully I just replayed this game a few months back. Still as charming as ever.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    According to Wikipedia, the PSP version of Lunar has a little more story content. Which makes for the better first-time Lunar experience - the Working Designs translation of the original, or the added story material of the remake?

I'll also mention that the first Lunar game is somewhat notorious for its missable items, mostly the pretty "bromide" pictures. Players who must have absolutely everything will need to check a FAQ in advance.
    The ps1 version of the game, which is the only one I've played, was actually not that easy of a game.
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Holy buckets Shannon seemed super knowledgeable! Cool to have new people on.
    Unfortunately for me this was one game I couldn't even get through, but again it was nice to hear everyone's take on this.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    The ps1 version of the game, which is the only one I've played, was actually not that easy of a game.
    What was hard about it? It's hard to avoid grinding if you can't avoid the battles. And if you grind, the bosses are challenging, but not overly difficult. Even the final boss.

Offtopic, I know, but in Eternal Blue Complete there was a reward (a scene) for making it through east desert pass, the first area, without using the healing statue. This seemed quite difficult to me. Even though encounters wander around on field maps, it's hard to avoid any of them. This applies to the Lunar's I've played: PSP Silver Star Story, Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue complete. It's much easier to avoid them in Chrono Trigger and Grandia.
    edited May 2016
    Budai wrote: »
    What was hard about it? It's hard to avoid grinding if you can't avoid the battles. And if you grind, the bosses are challenging, but not overly difficult. Even the final boss.

Offtopic, I know, but in Eternal Blue Complete there was a reward (a scene) for making it through east desert pass, the first area, without using the healing statue. This seemed quite difficult to me. Even though encounters wander around on field maps, it's hard to avoid any of them. This applies to the Lunar's I've played: PSP Silver Star Story, Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue complete. It's much easier to avoid them in Chrono Trigger and Grandia.

I'm actually saying it's a difficult game per se, but I played it recently and the bosses weren't pushovers. It took me a few tries on some bosses.