If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - What is the Corpus of a Game

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
When we look at a game, how much of what is not the game proper do we take into account. Or "I came to play, not to read."
Listen
Feed
Past Content

Talking Points:
-codexing
-fanservice
-Sequel vs spinoffs
-’they discussed that in the spinoff comic’
-good vs better
-dev blogs

Next: Localization woes.

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    On the topic of sequel vs. spinoff, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World comes to my mind. Funny thing about that game isn't so much that too reliant on the original ToS to make sense, but rather if it was necessary in the first place. The best thing about Dawn of the New World isn't all of the call backs and fan service, but the characterization and character development of Emil and Marta. While it does clear up one giant plot hole between Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Phantasia, the sequel adds little to the setting . I adore DotNW, but I feel I would probably have been just as happy with a Tales game set in a wholly different world with the same characters and a similar plot line

And oh boy, the mods and I may have to watch the thread for the next episdoes like hawks... :P
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I still don't get what "codexing" is, unless it's slang for "internet forum echo chamber effect".