If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - May - SEGA/Overworks

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
With the remaster of Valkyria Chronicles releasing this month, I thought it would be a good time to look back at the great RPGs developed by SEGA over the years. Overworks was the subsidiary of SEGA that developed Valkyria Chronicles, as well as the Sakura Taisen (Wars) games and their fantastic debut, Skies of Arcadia. In order to provide a bit more variety, though, I'm going to open the theme up to all SEGA developed RPGs. That includes the Phantasy Star games, the Yakuza games, and Dragon Force, among others. Perhaps not as appreciated as some of the other major RPG franchises out there, these are still some of my favorite RPGs of all times. I hope everyone can dig in to one or two of these games over the next month and share their feelings about them. Enjoy!

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    You know I was just thinking of playing SFII the other day. What great timing
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I need to see what I own and maybe give one a whirl that I haven't played. If not, may just bust out my PS3 Sega Collection and play Shining Force or Phantasy Star. ::) Love this theme!
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I have Valkyria Chronicles 2 & 3 yet to play. Maybe I should get to that.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    So, having beaten my handle game for May on Monday, I have decided to jump ahead into June with Valkyria Chronicles II. So far, so good-ish. The cast of characters (well, main characters) are way dumber and more cliched than before, and that is quite impressive since Welkin likely has Asperger Syndrome. That said, the supporting cast is handled better by actually having individual plots and interactions, something lacking outside of the core cast in the first game. Also, job trees!! Job trees!! And EXP isn't nearly as tedious to get, since the game is over flowing with repeatable, quick missions. Really, it's a sort of two-steps forward, one back. Definitely an improvement so far but not a rousing success.

Now, that all said, I do not actually plan to finish this game until late June. I will be out of town/country/hemisphere for the last half of the month, and I do not plan on taking my PSP with me (or an electronic, really).
    ClixPsi.png
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Just started Valkyria Chronicles 3 and a few thoughts

1) Starting difficulty choices are Easy and Normal. Difficulty can be changed at any time. Because of that I've started on normal.
    2) The intro movie is basically a lot of spoilers for Valkyria Chronicles 1. I have yet to play 2 but I didn't notice anything that wasn't related to 1.
    3) The game is taking a bit more time doing tutorials for the battle system. The enemies didn't even move in the first 2 battles, which was weird.
    Been playing Shining Force! I am up to the third battle. I've never played any games in this series so I thought I'd start with the first one. It's interesting so far. I have a surprising amount of party members this early on.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Important note for Shining Force: You can Egress from a battlefield and retain all your exp and repeat it.
    Yeah I noticed that! XD; I thought that was great.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Shining Force is a pretty simplistic strategy game, but is executed very well. Random leveling can be a pain sometimes, but you do get plenty of viable options. Secret characters are always fun as well. Desert levels and some bottlenecks are really annoying, though.

I remember how much I loved the graphics at the time. The colors were so vibrant and the in-battle art was very stylish.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    Nyx wrote: »
    Been playing Shining Force! I am up to the third battle. I've never played any games in this series so I thought I'd start with the first one. It's interesting so far. I have a surprising amount of party members this early on.

Genesis version or the GBA remake? I really liked the GBA one but can't go wrong either way. I love a number of Sega RPGs(Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force, and Phantasy Star IV among my favorites) but I'm focused on Chrono Cross right now.
    I will admit I've had my soul sucked by Disgaea 4 <.<
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Was distracted for a bit by Stellaris, but I finally fired up Valkyria Chronicles tonight. I knew I was going to love it, and a couple chapters in, I was right. I do find the combat a bit sluggish, though. Is that just the way it runs, or is my system having a tough time keeping up?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I'm going to pick up Landstalker, which lists Climax Entertainment and Sega as the developers. I've played this game a few times in the past, and remember it being my all time favorite Genesis RPG to play at my friends. Its been probably 15 years since the last time I played it, however, so I look forward to a quick run through. I was disappointed that it wasn't included on the Sega Ultimate Collection on the consoles, but it is on the Steam collection. Hopefully my 360 controller works.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Started up Skies of Arcadia: Legends for this, and I've gotten a lot done in one sitting. Made it all the way to Horteka, with the gang at level 20 across the board, magic levels being at level 2 at the least. Gotten everything up to this point that I can, so I'm going for 100% completion. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a lot further than I already am.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    From yesterday, got the Delphinus and now I'm supposed to go to Cape Victory...but to hell with that, tomorrow I'm going to go around the world and get as much stuff done before then.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Took a while, but I beat the first roadblock map in VCII. Artificial Valkyria seem like a bit much to deal with this early, but the first game did throw the final bosses at the player in the equally early Ch 7. Man, this series can be a real jerk sometimes.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited May 2016
    Started up Skies of Arcadia: Legends for this, and I've gotten a lot done in one sitting. Made it all the way to Horteka, with the gang at level 20 across the board, magic levels being at level 2 at the least. Gotten everything up to this point that I can, so I'm going for 100% completion. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a lot further than I already am.

I've said this before, but Skies of Arcadia is the refinement of "classic" JRPGs. Aside from the encounter rate, this game has perfected every bit of the classic turn-based RPG. There are so many cliches, but all of them are pulled off to a tee. Stereotypical color-coded lands to explore, check. All the standard villain archetypes, check. A plot which covers all of the basics (except amnesia), check. But it is all just. so. good.

Which segues nicely into Valkyria Chronicles, since lo and behold I was able to add Vyse and Aika to my squadron. So, of course I did. No sign of Fina yet, though.
    redwing42 wrote: »

I've said this before, but Skies of Arcadia is the refinement of "classic" JRPGs. Aside from the encounter rate, this game has perfected every bit of the classic turn-based RPG. There are so many cliches, but all of them are pulled off to a tee. Stereotypical color-coded lands to explore, check. All the standard villain archetypes, check. A plot which covers all of the basics (except amnesia), check. But it is all just. so. good.

Which segues nicely into Valkyria Chronicles, since lo and behold I was able to add Vyse and Aika to my squadron. So, of course I did. No sign of Fina yet, though.
    It's such a classic that the games that have similar settings to it usually end up being well liked or a cult classic. By the way, I do not think that Fina is in VC. A shame too, she would have made an excellent Medic, like how Drachma would be best Lancer.
    Fina is one of the three medics that show up to withdraw a fallen character.
    ClixPsi.png
    Clix wrote: »
    Fina is one of the three medics that show up to withdraw a fallen character.
    I never noticed that!
    Also if you manage to max out all there little story bits at the end it tells you what happens to each character ... I won't spoil that bit even with spoiler tags
    sig.gif

In Skies of Arcadia Legends, I've made it to where I'm supposed to go to the Ruins of Ice. Party's average level is 38, Vyse and Aika both know all their moves, with Fina and Enrique needing one last skill each to max out. Aika and Fina have both maxed out the Green and Purple spells, and Enrique has maxed out the Yellow spells. Tomorrow, I should be able to get ridiculously close to the end of the game, and hopefully max out more spells.
    Yay more Skies of Arcadia references in Valkyria Chronicles. The city of Valua was taken by the Imperial forces.
    I just finished up through the Tower of Mir in Landstalker. Had a bit of trouble with some main story triggers.

It's interesting to see some of the design decisions made for this game. I had fun with it when it was new-ish, but they really had some strange design choices that I'm glad did not last. The store and church interfaces, rather than being menu based, are "pick up an item and put it on the table". Fine for the church I guess, but stores require going in and out several times to stock up on a specific item. And the shopkeepers talk too much when you enter/leave- more realistic but kind of annoying.

Also, isometric. Who the hell actually likes isometric? Especially with a D-pad. I don't get it. This game requires jumping trial and error mostly because its literally not possible to determine where platforms actually are in some situations.

And lastly, if you happen to be too close to a wall, and try to attack, you hit the wall instead. I've died far too many times from accidentally being a tad too close to a wall and then getting overwhelmed. On the other hand, most battles are trivially easy, just sit there and swing rapidly til the enemy/boss dies.

Some of the puzzles are pretty clever though, but a little hampered by a low quality translation. But they tried, for sure.

I think I'm around halfway through the game at this point. I'll see if I can finish it off by the weekend.
    In Skies of Arcadia Legends, I'm at the finale. Only 3 areas remain in the game, and the party is sitting at level 45. I've gotten all Discoveries, completed the Moonfish and Angel of Death sidequests, killed all optional ship battle bosses, and have so far collected several ultimate weapons. Tomorrow I'll be trying to finish the game off as best I can...and I'm reminded while I'm playing that the theme song for Grandia 3 fits this game well, a shame it's copyrighted on youtube, otherwise I'd combine the two in a video.
    In Skies of Arcadia Legends, I'm at the finale. Only 3 areas remain in the game, and the party is sitting at level 45. I've gotten all Discoveries, completed the Moonfish and Angel of Death sidequests, killed all optional ship battle bosses, and have so far collected several ultimate weapons. Tomorrow I'll be trying to finish the game off as best I can...and I'm reminded while I'm playing that the theme song for Grandia 3 fits this game well, a shame it's copyrighted on youtube, otherwise I'd combine the two in a video.

You can still do so you just can't post it to Youtube. BUT there is always ability to post it to AnimeMusicVideos.org. Cause there is still the fair use agreement
    sig.gif

edited May 2016
    Beat Skies of Arcadia Legends. Final level was 50 across the board, final title Vyse the Legend, with 0 deaths across the game, all treasures and ultimate weapons obtained, all discoveries found. Definitely a solid game, one that more people need to play and complete. I end this with a quote from the ending.
    A young boy had a dream.
    A young girl had passion.
    A mysterious stranger had a mission.
    And the world will forever know their story.

As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes.

And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...
    and new adventures to be had.
    A young boy had a dream.
    A young girl had passion.
    A mysterious stranger had a mission.
    And the world will forever know their story.

As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes.

And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...
    and new adventures to be had.

But there totally won't be a sequel, regardless.

I found myself getting annoyed by the obtuseness of the Greenmaze area in Landstalker the other day. Little did I know that one of the most rage-inducing dungeons in the history of video games was coming, called the Lake Shrine. I don't remember this dungeon from previous playthroughs, other than the Duke being a (hilarious) troll, but the dungeon itself has several insane timing/jumping puzzles that can just burn in hell.
    I really love Valkyria Chronicles, but it is going so slow. I'm only on Chapter 5 because the last mission took me over an hour. It just runs so slowly...