If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Announcing the RPGamer Villain-Off

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
Previously RPGamer held a Battle Royale to determine which game's combat system came out on top. We're revisiting the idea and letting twenty-four villains duke it out between themselves this time, hopefully giving their games' heroes a bit of a rest.

[ Feature Page ]

First vote starts on Wednesday May 4, 2016.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I very much like the wide variety of villains chosen. I'm especially glad to see N there, heh.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited May 2016
    I'm surprised that Handsome Jack made it in seeing as how he's an FPS villain not an RPG villain.

Also, while it's nice that Ghaleon made it in... I thought Zophar would win over Ghaleon for the Lunar villain.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I'm slightly disappointed that the single entry from Dragon Quest is Dhoulmagus. He's not the main antagonist 8, and ultimately feels a little too similar to Kefka. I would have really liked to see Psaro as the DQ representative, as he's a lot more fleshed out as a villain and appears in several games. Even the Dragonlord would be a more interesting choice IMHO, especially as he actually gives you the option to join him as a legitimate choice. I guess that since DQ8 was the most popular DQ in the west (I believe), he might have the most recognition though.

On the other hand, super stoked that Kefka is there and not the obvious boring choice. Though with Kuja, Sin and Delita, there seems to be a bit of FF over-representation on the list. Think I could have come up with a few other more interesting choices than more FF. Albedo from Xenosaga would have been a great choice compared to nearly non-entities like Kuja and Sin, for instance.

But minor griping aside, I hope L-block wins.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Powerlord wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Handsome Jack made it in seeing as how he's an FPS villain not an RPG villain.

Also, while it's nice that Ghaleon made it in... I thought Zophar would win over Ghaleon for the Lunar villain.

Borderlands is an RPG without question. Not an even an edge case.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2016
    smacd wrote: »
    I'm slightly disappointed that the single entry from Dragon Quest is Dhoulmagus. He's not the main antagonist 8, and ultimately feels a little too similar to Kefka. I would have really liked to see Psaro as the DQ representative.

I voted for Psaro!
    Powerlord wrote: »

Zophar is super boring. Ghaleon is the best!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Zophar is super boring. Ghaleon is the best!
    Not Ghaleon, dear Macstorm: Magic Emperor Ghaleon!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Of my 10 nominations, 7 of them are in the final list. 8 if you count Sin, since I had his real name on my list.

I know my villains, apparently.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Lezard Velath is in it .... oh we know who I'm rooting for. I love that bastard so much.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    Truly, this is the only situation where one can root for Kefka to win and not be an evil SOB.
  • bulmasanbulmasan New Member Full Members
    I'd have Maximillian rather than Selvaria as the main villain in Valkyria Chronicles.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    I like my villains to be outright crazy to the point that their objectives are non-sensical. Crazy psychopaths who care nothing about life and want to just outright annihilate everything are the best villains in my opinion.

So my Number 1 would definitely be Kefka.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I'm slightly disappointed that the single entry from Dragon Quest is Dhoulmagus. He's not the main antagonist 8, and ultimately feels a little too similar to Kefka. I would have really liked to see Psaro as the DQ representative, as he's a lot more fleshed out as a villain and appears in several games. Even the Dragonlord would be a more interesting choice IMHO, especially as he actually gives you the option to join him as a legitimate choice. I guess that since DQ8 was the most popular DQ in the west (I believe), he might have the most recognition though.

On the other hand, super stoked that Kefka is there and not the obvious boring choice. Though with Kuja, Sin and Delita, there seems to be a bit of FF over-representation on the list. Think I could have come up with a few other more interesting choices than more FF. Albedo from Xenosaga would have been a great choice compared to nearly non-entities like Kuja and Sin, for instance.

My favorite villains are generally the most memorable ones. I had Dhoulmagus on my list because he was the most memorable villain from the GC/PS2 era, standing out amid dull or absent competition. My list had Ravel from Planescape: Torment and House from New Vegas for similar reasons. They weren't the primary antagonists or the most evil people in their games, but they stuck with me longer than TTO and Cesar and were more intriguing.

I also don't think much of Kuja or Sin as the best villains in their games, much less all Final Fantasy games not starring Kefka, much less all RPGs.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    7thCircle wrote: »

My favorite villains are generally the most memorable ones. I had Dhoulmagus on my list because he was the most memorable villain from the GC/PS2 era, standing out amid dull or absent competition. My list had Ravel from Planescape: Torment and House from New Vegas for similar reasons. They weren't the primary antagonists or the most evil people in their games, but they stuck with me longer than TTO and Cesar and were more intriguing.

I also don't think much of Kuja or Sin as the best villains in their games, much less all Final Fantasy games not starring Kefka, much less all RPGs.

I was back and forth between TTO and Ravel before finally falling on TTO's side, though I will say I never even considered doubling up villains from the same game and I was struggling to fill out the last few...
    Well if you notice the list is not all main villains, it's just villains in general. Like Lezard Velath, who is a complete moo, isn't the main villain of VP1, that's Loki, but he is the villain of VPII
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Don't blame me. I voted for Ultros.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    My favorite villains tend to be ones that aren't necessarily evil, but hopelessly misguided. Yggdrasil is my top pick in this competition because he's a fallen hero who lost his way when his sister died. IMO the best villains are the ones who have clear and almost sensible motivations.
    7thCircle wrote: »

Not sure if a lot of people voted for Sin, or if they voted for
    Jecht
    . I voted for the latter on my list.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited May 2016
    I oddly like both misguided well-intentioned extremists and incomprehensible monsters, or creatures that are more forces than they are beings. Yggdrasil and N are some of my favorite of the former, while Giygas and Dark Falz and Raem are the latter.

Then there's Raem, which isn't exactly a cosmic horror, but can be considered a dark god of sorts. I'm fascinated the notion that he had the world in his hands for centuries, maybe even millennia. Raem's definietly one of the most successful villains in a video game ever.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    A little too much Final Fantasy there IMO. I agree with smacd that Albedo would have been a great villain to be put on the list. Another worthy villain that could have been added to the list...General Baal from Grandia. This is a good list regardless, and the voting shall be great.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Not sure if a lot of people voted for Sin, or if they voted for
    Jecht
    . I voted for the latter on my list.

Mixture of both so merged into one entry using the less spoilery name.

Was pleasantly surprised about the large mixture of nominations, as stated elsewhere there were over one hundred different nominations, with the most nominated only getting on 1/3 of the top-ten forms.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Too much? Seriously, there's four FF villains. Considering the series has 30+ games not counting corollary series like Chocobo games, it's not surprising it's fielding multiple baddies.
    Paws wrote: »
    Too much? Seriously, there's four FF villains. Considering the series has 30+ games not counting corollary series like Chocobo games, it's not surprising it's fielding multiple baddies.
    In a tournament with 24 nominees, that's 1/6 the field right there.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    And? That's not a compelling rejoinder.
    I know, but with so many good RPG villains out there, it's essentially how people feel about 'clone characters' in fighting games. That's room somebody else could have taken. You know, the usual "Why didn't X get the spot" sort of thing.
    Again LEZARD VELATH. I'm am the only one who completely understands his demented ways?
    sig.gif

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Again LEZARD VELATH. I'm am the only one who completely understands his demented ways?

You and me, man. He's one of my all time favourite video game characters. :)
    Nyx wrote: »

He definitely deserved a place on this list. Definitely got the charisma, the plan, and the obsession.
    Nyx wrote: »

He definitely deserved a place on this list. Definitely got the charisma, the plan, and the obsession.

and he's doing it for love(?)
    sig.gif

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. There are at least a bunch of villains in games I've never played somehow. I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Though with characters like Luca Blight, I'm not sure if I was playing the same game as everyone else. Everyone says he's completely evil and one of the biggest bastards in RPG history... I don't recall much more than a pretty generic bad guy from him.

And? That's not a compelling rejoinder.

I disagree.

... which isn't a particularly good argument in favor, either.

Just because FF has had "30+ games" doesn't mean they deserve 1/6 of the slots, especially when a few of them feel like filler. Let's keep in mind that there are hundreds of RPGs, maybe north of a thousand or so. FF is over-represented. Dragon Quest has somewhat similar numbers of games, and is only sporting 1 in this tournament.

Personally, I would have liked to see a limit of one villain per series. That would have lead to something more varied and interesting than the FF villains (and friends) tournament.

But hey, I didn't see what decision making went on behind the scenes. It's all good, I'm sure the tournament will be interesting. I just find myself wanting to vote against all of the FF villains just out of principle.
  • hyperknees91hyperknees91 Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Personally my favorite villain is Fou-lu from Breath of Fire IV. But based on the list I would probably go with Delita due to them playing similar roles of being very human/sympathetic.
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    I want my villains to be there throughout the game, make me suffer, be one step ahead of me at every turn, and get destroyed in end. Sure, there's a place for villains you empathize with or that realize the error of their ways, but not at the top.

Lavos and Sin don't resonate with me...they really are just 'natural disasters' with no malice.

Ghaleon, Delita, and Yggdrasil are solid choices, but they are trying to do what they think is best for 'humanity' in their own twisted way.

Ganon has potential for overall body of work, but his different incarnations make him hard to pin down as an individual villain.

Then there's Kefka. It's a boring pick, and I wish he was less 'clown-like' and a bit scarier, but he checks the boxes. At least from the 24 candidates, he's my choice (of the ones I've played).