If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Villain-Off Round 1 Group A: Kefka, Loghain, Selvaria, N, Irenicus, Flowey

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited May 2016 in Battle Royale!
Six villains enter, but only two can qualify for the quarter-finals. Which two that is is down to a straight reader vote!

Contenders
Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)
Loghain Mac Tir (Dragon Age: Origins)
Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
N (Pokémon Black/White)
Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn)
Flowey (Undertale)

Voting takes place on the poll section on the right of the RPGamer home page and ends Friday May 6, 2016 (schedule to end at 6:55pm EST, but time may change based on staff availability).

*In the event of a tie for second place, advancement will be determined by the result of the original nomination process.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    An interesting round. Kefka is no doubt going to stomp through, but personally my vote goes to N. For games that have minimal story, N is a surprisingly robust villain.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited May 2016
    My thoughts mirror Paw's. This is more of a matter of who will place second (unless we get an influx of Undertale fanatics XP). I'm also voting for N, easily the most complex character in Pokémon.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Kefka will most likely win this. Especially since he's one of the only FF villains to essentially 'win' (aka complete his goals).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2016
    I point to Raem from Crystal Chronicles. He allows the Meteor Parasite to blanket the world in toxic miasma because it gives him power. People are killed by the miasma, are killed by monsters that it empowers, and suffer in wars and other conflicts caused by it. This leads to countless tragic and terrible memories that Raem feeds on. The memories he consumes can give rise to more monsters. He also protects the Parasite from would-be heroes in order to keep up this grim cycle.

Kefka only got what he wanted for a relatively short time. Raem got what he wanted for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years.
    Bravely second...

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    Poor Jon, he doesn't have a chance against Kefka. I voted for you, Jon!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • AzalusAzalus The Great Devourer Full Members
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone on this list with even close to an even footing against Kefka, it'll be interesting to see how later rounds shape up. There are some really good villains in the overall list, but very few villains that I've seen in a game come close to what Kefka accomplished or how crazy he is.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    All right, so I am going to throw down some thoughts here, because while I do think Kefka is great, and he is, I want to share some love for some of the other villains in this grouping.

I actually adore Loghain, and I was one of the few people I knew who actually kicked Alistair out of the party just so I could take Loghain in. I was playing a human noble plotline, so of course I wanted my revenge on him, and I may have forced him to sleep with Morrigan. /tangent. Any ways, I do think Loghain is great in Origins -- he's very cunning, ruthless, but very tactical as well. He's a guy who rose to the ranks and is the epitome of hardwork and independence, and yet he is such a douche about the way in which he interacts with people. I thought his interactions with Alistair were fantastic, and his whole bit during the Landsmeet was great. GO LOGHAIN!

But the other villain in this group I want to throw some love towards is Flowey. I don't even like Undertale that much, but I will say Flowey is pretty f--in scary. Judgmental, malicious, tyrannical, Flowery reminds you of your choices and how kindness in itself is a folly (keep in mind I got a Neutral Ending). His final form is disturbing looking, and it made me super uncomfortable while playing the game. In fact, every time I died, the more he said, the more uncomfortable yet determined I was to defeat him. He's just completely insane to the point where he cannot be rationalized with, compared to other villains on this list.

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    Without a doubt, Kefka is the villain to win. He is by far one of the best in the genre, and in my opinion far superior to Sephiroth as a character (I am glad to see Sephiroth left out of this competition).

If Kefka was not in this round, I would give my vote to Jon Irenicus. As a huge fan of the BG series, I did think Irenicus was an interesting villain. Unfortunately he is in this group, so he has to be looked over in favor of Kefka.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    Results!

1. Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) - 73.03%
    2. N (Pokémon Black/White) - 8.55%
    ---
    3. Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles) - 8.22%
    4. Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate II) - 4.93%
    5. Loghain Mac Tir (Dragon Age: Origins) - 2.63%
    6. Flowey (Undertale) - 2.63%
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Yay, N placed second!
    Oh yeah, and Kefka won by a flippin' landslide. :P
    Bravely second...

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    Looks similar to how November is going to turn out.

Was a pretty weak set though, the results aren't particularly unexpected. Too many of them in this set were painfully forgettable. I think Irenicus could have put up a better fight if BG2's plot made any sense, especially how the heck it got to where it was between BG1 and BG2, which I have no idea what happened.