If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Villain-Off Round 1 Group B: Giygas, Lavos, Yggdrasil, Dhoulmagus, Ganon, Kuja

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited May 2016 in Battle Royale!
The second set of six villains enters, but only two can qualify for the quarter-finals. Which two that is is down to a straight reader vote! Hopefully a closer vote than last time out :)

Contenders
Giygas (EarthBound)
Lavos (Chrono Trigger)
Yggdrasil (Tales of Symphonia)
Dhoulmagus (Dragon Quest VIII)
Ganon (The Legend of Zelda series)
Kuja (Final Fantasy IX)

Voting takes place on the poll section on the right of the RPGamer home page and ends Monday May 9, 2016 (schedule to end at 6:55pm EST, but time may change based on staff availability) - extra day due to the weekend.

*In the event of a tie for second place, advancement will be determined by the result of the original nomination process.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I voted Ganon, and from his popularity, he will hijack this poll, I predict it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I would personally like to see Yggdrasil and Giygas move on, though both have to contend with Ganon. Let's see how this turns out.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    It is still too early to tell who will win this one. I voted for Lavos from Chrono Trigger, as I was huge fan of that game more so than the villain himself. I am not Link/Zelda/Ganon fan, so my vote would not go that way anyway, although Ganon does seem to be most likely to win here.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    This is sort of an interesting round as we have several forces that could be argued as neutral forces doing things perceived as evil. I don't see pretty boy Kuja going anywhere though.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    That's the precise reason I voted for Ganon over both Giygas and Lavos. They don't call Giygas the "almighty idiot" for nuthin'.

Now, if Pokey was put up, it'd be way harder.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    I wouldn't qualify Lavos as a villain anymore than I would a tick. Ganon, on the other hand, is the real deal.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I voted for Dhoulmagus, though I don't expect him to go far since he's not one of the better DQ villains. Given that, I'd like to see Ganon win.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    This round is such a pity because it pits generic evil that slumbers until the final fight against more interesting and visible villains like Yggdrasil and Dhoulmagus. I'd think that if everyone had played all 6 of these games to the end, Yggdrasil would end up in the top 2, but Lavos and Ganon get boosts from nostalgia and the popularity of their respective games.

It would have been better for me if the feature used Ganondorf instead of Ganon. I associate Ganondorf with games where his character is more active, and Ganon with the ones where he's a pig waiting at the end of the last dungeon or a shadow only seen laughing at you in game over screens.

I personally like all of the above, and Lavos is my favorite nostalgia-driven villain, but my preference is for the more visible foes.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Sadly it's most likely to be all the really known ones who are going to end up near the top of this entire competition
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    That didn't end up happening with the battle system tourny last year, though. I was certain Xenoblade or Dark Souls would end up winning, and instead a game I haven't played won.

When it gets to the next round and individual staff members with our quirky preferences get involved, and all the choices will be well known villains from popular games, unexpected things could happen.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I'm excited to see that round :D
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'm excited to see that round :D

Yeah, these rounds are meant to help cut out the excess nominations and allow us to talk about the characters in-depth.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Disappointed Yggdrasil isn't doing better. He's my favorite villain of all time.

Getting beaten by the giant space tick... that makes me sad.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited May 2016
    Huh, I was expecting Ganon to be in lead. Guess i was wrong. He seems likely to make second-place, though.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    Way more Kuja love than I would have expected.
    179811.png
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    Results!

1. Lavos (Chrono Trigger) - 32.63%
    2. Ganon (The Legend of Zelda series) - 26.79%
    ---
    3. Kuja (Final Fantasy IX) - 13.79%
    4. Yggdrasil (Tales of Symphonia) - 9.28%
    5. Dhoulmagus (Dragon Quest VIII) - 9.02%
    6. Giygas (EarthBound) - 8.49%
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)