If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Villain-Off Round 1 Group D: Persona 4's Culprit, Ghaleon, Delita, Saren, Bowser, Lezard

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited May 2016 in Battle Royale!
The final set of six villains enters, but only two can qualify for the quarter-finals. Which two that is is down to a straight reader vote! The winner will face Ganon, while second-place will have to deal with Kefka.

Contenders
The Culprit (Persona 4)
Ghaleon (Lunar)
Delita Heiral (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Saren Arterius (Mass Effect)
Bowser (Mario & Luigi RPG series)
Lezard Valeth (Valkyrie Profile)

Voting takes place on the poll section on the right of the RPGamer home page and ends Friday May 13, 2016 (schedule to end at 6:55pm EST, but time may change based on staff availability) - extra day due to the weekend.

*In the event of a tie for second place, advancement will be determined by the result of the original nomination process.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Original post says today (Wednesday the 11th), so it should be the 16th?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Oop, that should've been Friday 13th (we will then break for the weekend so I can assign staff members for voting in the knockout round.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    I'm still disappointed that Fawful didn't get in, but Bowser did.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    No idea who should win this round. Every villain for himself it would seem. I am curious who gets the votes.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Oh gotta go show me some Lezard love
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2016
    This is the weakest set of 6 for me. Two from games I haven't played. One of BioWare's least interesting and most one-dimensional villains. One from a game I played and don't remember the plot or characters at all. One from a game I played and thought the villain was the worst character in the game. And then Lezard, who I would have had on the list I submitted if I remembered him. I was tempted to abstain since I'm unfamiliar with half these people, but I like Lezard too much.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Definitely pushing Ghaleon. He had the charisma, the plan, and he even managed to outwit an eldritch abomination! If only we could get a prequel to Lunar that showed everything leading up to him becoming evil.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • AzalusAzalus The Great Devourer Full Members
    edited May 2016
    I'm kinda torn here, and honestly surprised Delita is on this list, he never really felt like a villain to me. I may have to go with Lezard just because of how angry he made me in the first two VP games.

When I say he didn't feel like a villain, he and Ramza feel more like Flynn and Yuri, doing what they think is right, and what SEEMS right when analyzed by the player rather than one being good and one being a villain.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Man, so MANY good options in this round. The Culprit in P4, particularly P4G, is such a well-established character with real (ridiculous) motivators and emotions. On the other hand, when I think of characters that are made by their voice actors, Ghaleon is the very first one to come to mind. That sinister, slimy voice. Then you have Delita, who is an evil bastard, but you're left with the question "would he have been had he not been driven to extremes?" Made it hard to pick!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Azalus wrote: »
    I'm kinda torn here, and honestly surprised Delita is on this list, he never really felt like a villain to me. I may have to go with Lezard just because of how angry he made me in the first two VP games.

When I say he didn't feel like a villain, he and Ramza feel more like Flynn and Yuri, doing what they think is right, and what SEEMS right when analyzed by the player rather than one being good and one being a villain.

I get what you're saying about Delita, but I think that's what makes him a great villain. He's not a crazy, mustache twirling bad guy, but one with real motives that he believes are right. That makes the best villain for me, not some evil space alien or test tube baddie.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TaikaTaika Member Full Members
    Some compelling choices, but hands down, far and away, it's GOT to be Lezard Valeth.
    Seriously... he's a mere mortal who falls in love with a goddess, and finds a way to ascend not just to divinity, but beyond the most powerful gods in existence in his quest, shaking the heavens and very nearly taking over completely.
    Seriously, no one else can compare... can't believe he's not leading. Yet. :D
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    Plus he has way better quotes. "Ye know me! And if ye do not, ye shall be made to know me!!"
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Paws wrote: »
    On the other hand, when I think of characters that are made by their voice actors, Ghaleon is the very first one to come to mind. That sinister, slimy voice.

John Truit!

You know it must be special when I can name the voice actor without looking it up.

Edit: Although apparently his last name is Truitt with two ts at the end. Whoops!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Lezard will always be the truest of evil villians for me as he had so much. I mean he treats every one as toys. Heck several Einherjar are only provided to you because he interefered (and if you read the manga the who event with Arngrim at the beginning of the game was even partially orchestrated by him.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    I think I need to start throwing some votes at Ghaleon, just so that Delita does not win lol. I really disliked Delita as a character... his motives just made him seem "stupid' to me. I really did not find him villainous at all. Don't get me wrong FFT is one of my all-time favorite games - but I did think Delita's plot-line was one of the weakest aspects of the game.

In my opinion, every other character on the list was a better villain.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I ended up voting for Bowser. While I haven't played any M&L games, I'm familiar enough with him, and all the other options are from games I haven't played, or are boring/forgettable villains.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Results!

1. Ghaleon (Lunar) - 23.46%
    2. Delita Heiral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - 22.69%
    ---
    3. The Culprit (Persona 4) - 18.85%
    4. Lezard Valeth (Valkyrie Profile) - 16.15%
    5. Bowser (Mario & Luigi RPG series) - 11.92%
    6. Saren Arterius (Mass Effect) - 6.92%