If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 384: "I don't hate them..."

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 384: "I don't hate them..."

This week RPG Cast welcomes Kelley to the show! Together with Anna Marie and Chris, they uncover the truth about Vita DRPGs. They unravel the mysteries of Fire Emblem DLC. They settle the old argument of FFXV car vs. chocobo. And finally they arrive at the glorious Pokémon cookbook. Yeah, sounds like RPG Cast.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "I don't hate them..."
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Offer theraputic advice for Chris, who is in a game funk!
179811.png

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited May 2016
    I'll grant that I haven't gone through a game funk myself, but I hear taking a break from video games for a while can help, which sounds like you're kind of doing.

What bothers me about Fire Emblem Fates's second generation isn't so much that they're inconsequential, but their justification for existing in the first place. I just can't get over how stupid it is and it feels like they were shoehorned in because it was a popular feature in Awakening. I worry a bit about the next game, though they might be able to get one more generation system out of FE by remaking Genealogy of the Holy War, the fourth game in the series. That one was where the romancing and second generation system originated.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Ive broken game slumps by playing games from genres I generally don't.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I'm not super familiar with the JP-only FE games. How did the kids get involved in Genealogy?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited May 2016
    GotHW is split into two parts. The children replace the parents after a 17 year time skip. If the women the children are born to aren't married before chapter 6, then the parents are replaced by a different, unrelated character. This way, you don't get to see teenage/young adult children interact with their parents (or not much, anyway), but it makes sense.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    The RPG Ash on the 3DS recently interrupted my own game slump because its story is just that good, even though its turn-based combat has way too much required grinding. Ash reminded me of why I love traditional JRPGs.

My suggestion for overcoming a game slump is to focus on the games in a series you love. There has to be some game series you enjoy immensely but haven't played through all the installments yet. If there is none, then perhaps it really is time to take a break from gaming.

Right now, I'm having great fun playing World of Warcraft PvP in Ashran. Ashran will still be around in Legion, but player participation will very likely be vastly reduced, so I'm enjoying it while I can. It's one of those ephemeral MMO experiences, simply because it requires tons of players to have its full effect.

I will confirm from personal experience that pre-purchasing Legion (Standard or Digital Deluxe version) gives you an immediate, free, level 100 character boost. A character boost normally costs $60 to buy in the in-game shop.

The boost stays available on your character selection screen until you pick a character to use it on. Your boosted character gets a signifcantly upgraded garrison, with about ten followers, and a set of starter gear. The starter gear is ilvl 640, vastly inferior to the gear you can get from PVP in Ashran or PVE raiding. Here's more information about boosting on Blizzard's website

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7623

Pre-purching the Digital Deluxe version of Legion ($69.99 U.S.) also gives immediate access to several digital items, including the ground-only Illidari Felstalker mount, the pet Nibbles, and some digital items in other Blizzard games (Heroes of the Storm Felstalker Mount, Starcraft II Illidan/Gul'Dan portraits, Diablo III cosmetic demon wings and horns).

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-legion

Right now, players who want to enjoy the benefits of Legion pre-purchase (including early access to demon hunters) and buy a physical collector's edition have to buy the game twice.

Blizzard has officially announced a system that allows players who bought Legion twice to contact Customer Service and get back a Standard or Digital Deluxe Legion digital key (depending on which one they bought), which they can then give to a friend. Blizzard has NOT confirmed that players who buy the game twice can get a refund instead of a digital key.

Here is Blizzard's official forum post on the issue. Note the disgruntled replies from people who don't want to pay for Legion twice when all they're guaranteed to get back is an extra digital key, not a cash refund.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20419283368

By the time you pick up your physical collector's edition and get the digital key back, the "early access" window of time to play Demon Hunters might be over, so... yeah. I decided to pre-purchase the Digital Deluxe edition and call it a day. I'd just eBay the Collector's Edition artbook anyway.

Edit: Okay, there is a youtube clip of Blizzard addressing this issue at BlizzCon

where they suggest that people who both pre-purchase Legion digitally and get a physical collector's edition ought to get refunds. But I can't recommend taking anything said at BlizzCon as a hard and fast guarantee. Blizzard has a history of overpromsing WoW stuff at BlizzCon.