If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Villain-Off Quarter-Final #1: Kefka Palazzo vs. Delita Heiral

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
We come to knockout stages, where the remaining eight villains face off in one-on-one matches until we have a winner!

Each match has five points up for grabs. Three of these points come from individual staff members' votes, with the other two coming from the on-site reader votes. With reader votes these two points will assigned to be winner provided they earn at least 52% of the vote. If neither villain attains 52% or higher, then the two reader points will be split between them.

This match is Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs. Delita Heiral (Final Fantasy Tactics). The reader vote will be open until 6:55pm EST on Wednesday May 18, 2016. Staff members can cast their votes at any time, but if possible should wait at least a day until doing so that readers and other staff members can lay out their arguments first. Everyone (staff and readers) is welcome to debate for or against either side.

Staff Voters:
Wheels
SweetieAshe
Gaijin
(Backup voter - Corvak)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• AzalusAzalus The Great Devourer Full Members
    I can't vote for Delita here, Kefka is simply too accomplished as a villain, where Delita barely registers as a villain to me.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I'm not sure two different villains could be put together. Kefka is EEEEEEVIL in a way that's totally one dimensional. It's not that he doesn't have nuance to that evilness (much of which has come from auxiliary games such as the Dissidia titles), but there's no justifying his behaviour. He's just bad bad bad. Delita on the other hand has a lot of grey areas. He's been very wronged. His sister was killed because it was more convenient for her to be dead than alive. He's motivated to do what he feels is the right thing, even when doing the "right thing" involved bad actions. Particularly in the PSP remake, you really get to see flashes of what Delita could have been like had he been born into a lordly family, or if the world just hadn't wronged him so often. Delita evokes sympathy (and maybe empathy) - he's a sad sack you can kind of relate to, especially when you find out
    he's been used the whole time as a puppet for Evil Jesus

But there's no way to sympathize with Kefka; he doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Everyone loves to hate him!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    I'm boosting Delita in this one. I cared about him like I rarely care for RPG antagonists. I really wanted him and Ramza to be able to come to terms. :(
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    While I played Kefka's game and not Delita, I want to root for the underdog here.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    FF vs FF... Hard to vote against FF when its all FF.

Kefka is the obvious best choice, as his crazy is both entertaining and effective. As one of the few, if only villains to actually succeed, he is the best villain.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Deltia is certainly a great one, and I do enjoy a good shades of grey villain.

BUT... there's something to be said for the classic villain that wants nothing more than to watch the world burn. There's no reasoning with Kefka. He's a particularly special brand of jerk. The moments before the final confrontation are especially memorable. You find Kefka, in a castle basically made out of ruined bits of the world, laughing like a mad man and blowing stuff up for no particular reason. Insanity is a frightening concept, which is why the villains that embody it best are so compelling.

Kefka is the clear vote for me
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Well Kefka to me would definately be the vote. Cause he wasn't born crazy as the game implies a few things that actually made him go crazy.

The game outright states that Kefka was the First M-Tek Soldier created and due the process being unrefined something broke inside him which is what I equate to being him going coo-coo on the crazy train to nutsberg.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    edited May 2016
    Without a doubt Kefka is the better villain.

I don't get the notion of voting for underdogs or against a franchise (just because) in this type of contest. It's about being a villain, and Kefka without a doubt accomplishes this.

Unless I am misunderstanding what this contest is actually about. Are we picking an anti-hero or antagonist? Or a true villain?

Delita is merely antagonistic to the prescribed hero, with a different point of view (which to some may seem heroic), barely a villain in any notion.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    the best part about Kefka isn't just that he's crazy, it's basically that his crazy is magnified by this sort of child-like glee in doing whatever he feels like. It's a lot like a kid with a magnifying glass burning ants, isn't it? To the ants it's crazy, horrible, terrifying, evil, to the kid it's just something fun and interesting to do for a while. When you get bored of that maybe you'll move on to pulling wings off black flies.

The only reason the world wasn't completely destroyed was because he didn't feel like it.
    Shadow trumps Kefka with a Atma weapon throw.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    scorpio_7 wrote: »
    I don't get the notion of voting for underdogs or against a franchise (just because) in this type of contest.

Eh, its because I feel that with such a small field of entries, FF is vastly over-represented, so I tend to vote against FF in protest even if I like the choice. I don't think this is the first tournament where FF has been over-represented.

On the other hand, voting against FF is like voting for a third party candidate in the US- its just a throw away vote, since all anyone cares about in the West is FF *yawn*

• RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    Sorry, Delita. I liked your game. I thought you were a solid, tragic, villain. But you're no Kefka.

Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Sorry, Delita. I liked your game. I thought you were a solid, tragic, villain. But you're no Kefka.

Suddenly wish posts had a like button
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Wheels wrote: »

Suddenly wish posts had a like button
    Same, best quote.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    On the one hand, Delita is definitely presented better as a fleshed out, three-dimensional character. As mentioned above, that doesn't always make the best villain, though he's certainly a better antagonist than Kefka would be for a heavily political story like Final Fantasy Tactics. It's simply too easy to imagine him being the hero, if only we'd gone down the other leg of the Trousers of Time.

It doesn't help that Kefka's brand of crazy is so fun to write about, either.
  • bulmasanbulmasan New Member Full Members
    Delita is more of a "wow, that didn't work like I thought it would" character than a true villain. Kefka? Kefka's insane. In a really, really bad way.
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    I'm pretty much in agreement with most everyone here. As much as I love Delita as someone who just runs counter to Ramza, almost mirror-like in fact, since I'm pretty sure Ramza was just as pissed off at the nobles as Delita was (maybe even like the Chaotic Good to Ramza's Lawful Good?), Kefka trumps him in the "love to hate" department. If there was anyone in Tactics that had that kind of feeling to them, it was more the overarching group of the church as opposed to one specific character. Either that or Zalbag because screw that mission. :p

Kefka sets goals and acts upon them. He didn't wait for orders before poisoning Doma. He took glee in seeing the Espers suffer. And he didn't think twice before moving the Statues to create the world in his own way. Plus, who else has lines like "Wait he says... Do I look like a waiter?!" The Woolsey translation made Kefka such a memorable character even outside of his henious acts.

My vote goes for Kefka in this round.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • cldmstrsncldmstrsn New Member Full Members
    I have never really seen Delita as a "bad" guy. He was just trying to change things up and I definitely sympathize with him but when you put him up against Kefka its not even a contest. Kefka is immeasurably worse.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Reader Vote Results:

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) - 75.90%
    Delita Heiral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - 24.10%

Meaning Kefka earns both of the readers points, which coupled with the staff votes makes him the winner.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)