If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 385: "Mindsona!"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 385: "Mindsona!"

Anna Marie ponders the limits of her love. Kelley rules Ireland. Johnathan usurps Ireland. Then Chris cheats goes off to play Suikoden II.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Mindsona!"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Overwatch: How should they explore its story?
179811.png

Comments

• severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    I always disliked the "Persona rip-off" description for Mind Zero, because all I really did was set the game up for failure. There are obvious parallels in terms of the premise and story elements but overall gameplay was a lot different. It was one of those new titles I like seeing where tried to do some different things and it was just annoying to see it get dismissed out of hand like that. Though saying that, by no means is it an outstanding game.

(I guess people always need a lazy comparison, I remember also being annoyed by an attempt at saying The Last Story's battle system is like Valkyria Chronicles.)

Paradox has acknowledged that the mid-game is currently the weakest in Stellaris, mostly due to spending so long on the early- and late- game aspects. Looks like it'll be making an effort to improve that area though. Of all the Paradox strategy games I've played, it very much feels like the easiest to get to grips with thanks to the early exploration sections.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I don't think it's a Persona ripoff (and I don't think I used that word), but I will say at first blush it absolutely looks like a Persona clone. I think there's an important difference between the two terms. It does take a couple hours to differentiate itself, if for no other reason than the pacing is very different. I'm enjoying it, but I also have a lot of patience for it...so far.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Meant more as a comment against the general interwebs rather than you, you did detailed where it is similar and different so not complaining there :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Oh good. I would have felt bad saying it was a ripoff, because it's really not.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ah nice info on Stellaris. I am still hoping to dig in and get the full experience soon.
  • redrock963redrock963 KansasRPGamer Staff
    I know that Mind=0 is one of the games that sold me on a Vita (Ys and Demon Gaze were the other two). Unfortunately I never got around to playing that one, but I may pick it up between now and P5 just to scratch that SMT itch.
    redrock963.png
    My Deviant Art Page | 3DS Friend Code: 1005-8614-6875
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited May 2016
    I play very few first-person shooters, but my understanding is that players with a mouse and keyboard have a ridiculously powerful advantage over players who use a console controller, simply because it's easier to turn instantly, with pinpoint precision, when using a mouse.

Even with all the digital items for different Blizzard games that come with the Origins Edition of Overwatch (here's a link)

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20098642

I can't justify dropping $60 on a game with no story mode. I don't expect Overwatch to get a story mode in the future, any more than I expect Heroes of the Storm to get one.

Story/campaign modes take a lot of effort to create, and the story often gets put up on YouTube right away. This is why a story mode was left out of the latest Smash Brothers game, according to its creators.

I know you folks play Hearthstone. Would you consider its expansions to be story/campaign modes? Like the dungeon crawl through Naxxramas, where the bosses mock you as you go.