If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Villain-Off Semi-Final #2: Luca Blight vs. Ghaleon

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
Twenty villains have been eliminated now, leaving us with just four battling it out in the semi-finals.

The semi-finals have seven points up for grabs. Four of these points come from individual staff members' votes, with the other three coming from the on-site reader votes. The three points will be assigned based on the percentage of votes. 0-35% will earn zero points, 35-50% will earn one point, 50-65% will earn two points, 65-100% will earn three points.

This match is Luca Blight (Suikoden II) vs. Ghaleon (Lunar). The reader vote will be open until 6:55pm EST on Wednesday June 1, 2016. Staff members can cast their votes at any time, but if possible should wait at least a day until doing so that readers and other staff members can lay out their arguments first. Everyone (staff and readers) is welcome to debate for or against either side.

Staff Voters:
Macstorm
InstaTrent
Nyx
SweetieAshe
(Backup: Severin)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I think this is a much better match up than the last round. Lavos is a pretty sad villain, but I like both of these two.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    I also liked both of these madmen. I am in camp Luca - something about that crazy laugh/smile that is quite frightening. (I vote for him so that he does not murder me in my sleep.)
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    Luca Blight was a far better villain. It took a massive trap and multiple battles to take him down. Even then, he nearly survived. He left an indelible mark on the world of Suikoden II.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    So, I want to cry over this match up, if only because I love both of these villains and I consider them a personal top favourites. I need time to think about this... T___T
    So Luca, an evil villain who murders without hesitation? Or Ghaleon, a personable villain/anti-villain who is easy to sympathize with instead of just outright hate?

Luca is clearly the more wicked villain, but does that really make him the most interesting or better than Ghaleon?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    From what memories I have of Lunar, all those years ago the one time I did play it, Ghaleon was like the epitome of 1990s magical overlord villain, right down to the crazy armor and the ears. If you ever made a dictionary of JRPG tropes, he'd probably deserve a picture somewhere in there for archetype alone.
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    From what memories I have of Lunar, all those years ago the one time I did play it, Ghaleon was like the epitome of 1990s magical overlord villain, right down to the crazy armor and the ears. If you ever made a dictionary of JRPG tropes, he'd probably deserve a picture somewhere in there for archetype alone.
    Don't forget his voice dripping with over-the-top one-liner-y goodness!
    edited June 2016
    I actually think both characters are rather complex, which is why this has been hard for me. Luca is who he is because he witnesses something traumatic and decided that peoples lives needed to pay for it, where as Ghaleon was already quite cunning, and his backstory does a fantastic job of showing his transformation into who he truly is.

Luca murders without hesitation because he cannot see right or wrong anymore, and I think that can be quite compelling in its own right. When you witness the kind of trauma he has, there's nothing but gray areas. Right or wrong, black or white, Luca cannot comprehend that anymore, and it makes me quite sad given how much he cares about his sister, Jillia, and she is his only real voice of reason.

Luca also in a lot of ways, super human. It takes three battles and a one-on-one, and yet he still refuses to go down. He refuses to let the world that betrayed him win. Before he dies, he leaves an eerie message that the world he has created is the real world and that no matter how hard you attempt to change the world, it's already cursed, already doomed. It's a gloomy message, but given what has happened up to that point in the game, it makes a lot of sense. Plus The CHASE, YOU GUYS!

And see I do love Ghaleon. He's always steps ahead of Alex and the party, he murders a dragon, and he does a great job of going for what he wants and showing that he will in fact get it.

But I am sorry Ghaleon, I adore you, but I always have loved Luca.

Vote: Luca Blight.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited June 2016
    Luca has one of the best lines in rpg history, "It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands!"

Ghaleon isn't even a real villain in my eyes, especially after lunar eb, so Luca easily wins this one for me.
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    Taking into account the events of Eternal Blue, it's very true that Ghaleon becomes much more of a Saturday morning cartoon villain than his incarnation in the original game. I'm with Nyx in that it's hard to really vote against one of my favourite characters in almost all RPGs, but...

Luca does indeed just ooze evil. While Ghaleon is Neutral Evil, Luca is the epitome of Chaotic Evil. He accomplishes what he wants no matter the cost to human life or property, just because he himself feels that the world should bend to his idea of the universe rather than to work within the system in an almost Kuja-like fashion. I only bring him up because I've been playing it lately (ehe) and the whole "if this world can't have me, then the world shouldn't exist" thing is a common factor between the two. Except in Blight's case it's "if I can't have what I want, no one can." And that's compelling. Though it is a very child-like mindset, he has the strength AND the means to make that mindset a reality and it's frightening.

There's nothing scarier than a child who can actually affect the world around them through fire and bloodshed.

My vote (with a bit of chagrin) goes to Luca Blight.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    Luca Blight: "DIE PIG!"

Luca Blight: "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!"

"Let me tell you something. There are weak men and strong men in this world. The strong men take everything and the weak men die. That's how the world was designed. Now I will show you how it works, weaklings!!!"

"You can gather a million maggots, but they'd still just be maggots"

I think these quotes say it all.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
    Like I said before, this is a much closer vote for me than any of the others. That said, Luca was a great madman who killed thousands, but he's just not my style.

Jowy is my favorite character in Suikoden II, because I like an anti-villain. Which brings me to Ghaleon. He's not super evil, and that's what makes him appealing to me. I don't need my villains to be brutal, they just need to be effective. Ghaleon shot down a floating magic city!! That's pretty awesome right there.

Vote: Ghaleon
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2016
    Reader vote result:
    Luca Blight (Suikoden II) - 56.27%
    Ghaleon (Lunar) - 43.73%

Giving Luca Blight two points and Ghaleon one point with one more staff vote still to come to finalise the score.

The final will begin on Friday (exact ending time and voting format to be finalised).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Like I said before, this is a much closer vote for me than any of the others. That said, Luca was a great madman who killed thousands, but he's just not my style.

Jowy is my favorite character in Suikoden II, because I like an anti-villain. Which brings me to Ghaleon. He's not super evil, and that's what makes him appealing to me. I don't need my villains to be brutal, they just need to be effective. Ghaleon shot down a floating magic city!! That's pretty awesome right there.

And see, I think if Jowy had been the pick, this would have been a different battle. I ADORE Jowy, and I think he is as compelling as Luca or Ghaleon. One of my favourite scenes is his betrayal in Muse because it shows how raw he really is, and he's taking charge of his destiny (or what he thinks destiny is).

I just, ahhhh, I love Suikoden II.
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2016
    I have tip my hat to Ghaleon. He was a complex villain in an age of moustache twirling aristocrats (seriously, how many JRPGs have evil kings or emperors?).

He's not the only formerly good bad guy, but he is one of the first who sought to take over the world for relatively good intentions. He's a nut bar that can't quite see reason anymore, but I like that he is driven to dethrone by his convictions.

Im also a sucker for redemption. And those who have played Lunar 2, know that he eventually attained that.

"To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."