If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

2016 - A Year of Themes - June - ATLUS games (non-SMT)

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
edited June 2016 in Role Playing Games
With the upcoming remaster of Odin Sphere set to come out next week, it seems like a good time to take a look back at some ATLUS developed and/or published games. The Shin Megami Tensei games will get their own appreciation, pending the NA release date of Persona 5 and SMT4: Apocalypse , so this is for all the non-SMT games. Games like Catherine, or Etrian Odyssey, or Luminous Arc, or some of the ACE team games. There really is quite a bit out there. I don't actually know what my first ATLUS game was, because I didn't pay as much attention to publishers back then except for Square. I think it may have been Steambot Chronicles, or Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. In any case, there are many options on many systems for people to explore this month. Enjoy!

Edited to add: Going back over the list, I actually think my first ATLUS game was Super Robot Taisen OG. What a great game.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2016
    I've actually played very, very few Atlus games, only really discovering them in the last few years. I have accumulated quite a collection of them though, and most are backlogged. I can't recall if Testament of Sherlock Holmes (published) or Radiant Historia was my first? I had considered playing Etrian Odyssey 2 for this, but I don't think I'm ready for another 80+ hour game at the moment.

Regardless, I am playing Game of Thrones (2012) published by Atlus and developed by Cyanide for this month. I'm already in chapter 7, of the 15 chapters in the game. I'm finding this game intriguing, but I can definitely see some of the criticism about it. The game is absolutely a labor of love, but unfortunately not talent. The story fits in well into the world, and is so far quite enjoyable (even if it does seem like both characters are on the Lannister side). But there are so many technical issues, extensive loading times, and the game feels like its about 10 years older than it is. Its hard to recommend this game for anyone but real Song of Ice and Fire fans. Its unfortunate that the poor reception caused them to cancel the DLC release for North America, but I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get it from the European store.

Given that I am on track to finish this game well before the end of the month, I am also planning on seeing if I can squeeze in another Atlus published title, Sting's Riviera: The Promised Land, which I intend to play the PSP version on Vita. Other than it being part of the Dept Heaven series, I know next to nothing about this game, but it seems to have had pretty good reviews.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    I think my first Atlus game was Snowboard Kids for N64, fun game along with it's sequel. Not sure if I'll play anything that fits this month yet.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Here is a list of all Atlus games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlus_games

As for me we'll see. I'm still working my way through like 4 other games (two of which are Wild ARMS) so I'll just see how this goes. But I have been loving reading all the stuff so far :D
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

Ok, so it turns out that prior to what I had thought was my first Atlus game I mentioned before, I have actually played two others- The Karate Kid and Friday the 13th on NES. And I suddenly feel like chopsticking some flies.

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    smacd wrote: »

Ok, so it turns out that prior to what I had thought was my first Atlus game I mentioned before, I have actually played two others- The Karate Kid and Friday the 13th on NES. And I suddenly feel like chopsticking some flies.

I hadn't looked that far down the list. Friday the 13th was definitely the first ATLUS title I played.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Looking down the list.... Space Griffon VF-9? I actually have that one on my shelf! Maybe I should give it a whirl sometime.
    Oh yeah, forgot they developed The Karate Kid. So that was my first. My first Atlus USA game was still Snowboard Kids though.
    I've made it to Chapter 9 in Game of Thrones. 8 was one of the longest chapters in the game so far, and kind of dragged a bit. Probably doesn't help that I prefer Mors much more than Alester. Definitely starting to see how the two stories are weaving together in interesting ways though. I find myself as pretty much playing both characters as complete bastards, making sure to kill my opponents whenever I am given the option. Seems appropriate for the world. (Reminds me of that joke- the reason GRRM doesn't use twitter is because he killed all 140 characters, heh heh heh).

I tried to start up Riviera, but fell asleep almost immediately. Granted, wife was watching some boring movie- one of those teen girl movies. Divergent? Something like that. And I'm more sleep deprived than normal so I wont blame the game. yet. unless it happens again.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    I really enjoyed Riviera when I played it, but that was about 10 years ago, so I can't say any more than that.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I'll be playing Odin Sphere tomorrow as my start for this.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    So Chapter 9 in GoT is mostly a torture scene. Unfortunately, like most of this game, it really loses its impact by the game-y nature of it. When I'm reading the books or watching the show, there is real weight to what happens, and I am not confident any character will survive. While this game has two protagonists, one of them being (almost humorously) tortured doesn't have any weight because in the back of my mind I know they won't kill the character. Even though the game gives me the options to reduce the torture, I have no real incentive to do so since the resistance options looks like it has more entertaining dialogue, and will have no real consequences. And honestly, much like a Telltale game, I'm willing to bet the outcome would be the same either way (which reminds me, they really need to put their GoT game on sale on the xbone...)
    edited June 2016
    Started up Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and I've made it to Chapter 3 for the Valkyrie book. I'm liking the new systems they added, and I've been grinding to level up my skills to help make the coming areas easier. It has helped quite a bit, with the tougher foes being dispatched easily. Bosses are taken down a notch, but the second the skills can't be used, they go back to their normal difficulty...these just help me get a head start on the fight.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Decided on resuming my play of Conception 2. The game is unabashedly cheesy and it ain't easy being cheesy.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I'm also playing Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. I didn't play the original and my only other Vanillaware game was Muramasa Rebirth. I like the skill system so far, even though I don't use them a ton right now (I started off not using skills much in Muramasa too but that changed).

I think the first Atlus published game I owned was Lufia: The Ruins of Loire. I actually got pretty far into the game at some point, but I really didn't enjoy it compared to the other Lufia games. I don't know if I will ever beat that one.
    edited June 2016
    Made it all the way to Gwen's Chapter 5. Been spending time before each chapter to max out skills I've obtained in the previous one. So far this has helped me stay leveled up and rich with money. One could say I'm overdoing it, but I remember just how hard this game can get if you're underleveled in even the slightest...not to mention the final chapters of the game requiring everybody to be used.
    I finished up Game of Thrones, and saw 2 of the 4 possible endings (I don't feel the need to see the other two). Bittersweet, but well written story and had me looking forward to playing despite being awful from a technical design perspective. I enjoyed the game.

I'll be playing Riviera for the rest of the month.
    I played some Dokapon Kingdom the other day, a fun party board game/RPG. Always fun to go back to for some multiplayer now and then.
    Got to Chapter 5 of Cornelius' story. I prefer Gwen to him since she was easier to combo with.

I'm playing on Normal on the new mode, not classic. Does classic make the game harder? I feel like right now I'm doing fine on Normal being -2 levels underleveled at times, though by the time I reach bosses I'm usually 2+ levels above. I've been pretty overleveled with Cornelius for the most part, though, after really taking advantage of food EXP.
    edited June 2016
    riulyn wrote: »
    Got to Chapter 5 of Cornelius' story. I prefer Gwen to him since she was easier to combo with.

I'm playing on Normal on the new mode, not classic. Does classic make the game harder? I feel like right now I'm doing fine on Normal being -2 levels underleveled at times, though by the time I reach bosses I'm usually 2+ levels above. I've been pretty overleveled with Cornelius for the most part, though, after really taking advantage of food EXP.
    Classic only has the basic combos instead of all these skills and abilities, I believe. So instead of using these awesome moves to steamroll your way through...you only have your basic combos, making fights more drawn out and thus making it more likely that you're going to die due to a mistake.

EDIT: Made it to Gwen's Epilogue. Saved right at the entrance to the area, and I've maxed out all the skills up to this point, save for the Psypher itself. Only 3 skills and the Psypher remain to max out, and then I only need to raise Gwen's level to learn the remaining abilities...something that will be particularly easy, considering how easy it is to find ingredients for cooking for free.
    I'm a ways into chapter 2 in Riviera. I have no idea what to make of this game. I'm not even sure if its an RPG. I'm not finding myself fond of the movement/search method- its interactivity is low enough that I am struggling to stay awake when I play. The plot... not sure whats going on really. The mini games are all a bunch of QTEs and I'm failing most of them due to very short timing windows. The inventory is painfully small. Is this all the game is, or does it get better? This game was pretty highly reviewed by most RPG sites, but I'm having a hard time feeling engaged so far.
    Riviera is a strange game, I liked Yggdra Union more myself.
    Just finished Chapter 5 of Mercedes' story. I like how different she is from the other 2 so far, but it definitely took some time to get used to. I've been finishing the characters so far at level 60 for Gwen and level 51 for Cornelius. I guess I'll prepare to grind if the last part of the game steps up the difficulty.

Also, I'm really taking advantage of Toxin and Volcano bottles. The game gives so many materials for bottles, it's a little too easy to abuse those sometimes...
    Finished up Gwen's story and I've gotten to Chapter 3 of Cornelius' story. Gwen is level 65, and completely ready for the final boss fights later, with all her skills and the psypher maxed out, and all abilities learned. I'm pulling the same trick I used with Gwen for Cornelius to help keep myself ahead of the game in experience and skill levels. Tomorrow hopefully I can either get up to chapter 5, or finish his story (unlikely, I tend to grind for hours).
    At the end of Cornelius' story, and I've mastered all his skills save for the ones that will be unlocked when I finish this epilogue. Level wise, he's 62, meaning only 3 levels until he can learn his last ability. Once I've mastered him, I'm going to make 2 Elixirs in anticipation of the final boss gauntlet that will happen much later. Hopefully they won't be necessary, but you can never be too careful.
    I finished Chapter 2 in Riviera. I'm really on the edge of putting this game down, which is something I almost never do. On the other hand, I'm already apparently about 25% of the way through, and another 18 hours isn't that big a deal for a game. I'll hold out that it gets more interesting.
    Finished all the character books and did the first battle in book 6. I used Velvet in the first battle because I knew there would be something extra in the scene and also she was at level 58 (highest leveled character I had) so it was a good test of difficulty. Well, it wasn't so difficult because Velvet's Round Shot worked extremely well against the boss...

Since I'm going on vacation soon I'll probably focus a bit on leveling the other 4 characters and completing this book "correctly" so I can get the true ending, and someday come back for the rest.
    I finished Chapter 3. I haven't put it down, but the game hasn't improved much for me. It's become an excellent sleep aid.

I'm learning to not care too much about my inventory, as the environment and enemies are good at destroying stuff I wanted to keep.
    Did the final boss gauntlet with characters around level 56-58. This made things too easy actually (at least on Normal). The most "dangerous" of the battles for me was the fourth one, and the easiest was the first one.

Overall I enjoyed the game. The characters themselves aren't portrayed with much depth, but I really enjoyed how well all the stories fit together.
    Made it to Mercedes' Chapter 4, and I'm reminded why I dislike playing as her...she's spam central. Spam her rapid fire bullets or skills to win! Little to no real creativity on doing combos with her, just spam. Not to mention her needing to be in the air to get the best vantage points for said spam, and that she can only reload while on the ground. Combine it all and her playstyle is just very much not for me. I've managed to max out all her skills up to this point, and her Psypher is level 6 out of 9. Tomorrow I'm hoping to push through to maybe Chapter 6 or the Epilogue if I'm lucky. I want to get through her story as fast as possible so I can get to Oswald's.
    Beat Mercedes' story, and I'm on Oswald's Chapter 2 now. Oswald has gotten one hell of a QoL change from this remake. While his gameplay still emphasizes Berserk mode, the abilities and the skills help you want to save it for minibosses, bosses in general, or for those times when you really need to take down some annoying enemies. The first 3 skills for him include a flurry of attacks that lasts about 5 seconds (a LOT of damage from that), a grapple move that hits the enemy a few times before throwing them behind him, and a black flame in the shape of a serpent that goes across the ground. All of which help keep Berserk mode on standby, because they do some seriously good damage.

Ability wise, they make Berserk mode into Limit Break status. Double POW recovery, half damage taken, and status effect invulnerability are the big 3 they gave for it in the abilities. Overall, liking where his gameplay has gone, and hoping by endgame I'll see whether or not it was truly a long lasting QoL change.