If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 30: Something Something Japan - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we go on many crazy tangents with the man in Japan. We also discuss Romancing SaGa 2.

Episode 30: Something Something Japan - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited June 2016
    On the topic of RPG adaptations of anime, I have to at least mention Sailor Moon: Another Story. It's a fairly standard turn-based RPG and is kind of cheesy at time (though I suppose the original anime series itself is), but it does a great job of depicting the show in video game form. I especially thought it was clever that the evil team, the Opposito Senshi, have names based on Babylonian gods that mirror the Sailors' Roman names. The game even has a few nods to the manga (mainly in attacks).
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    What is a game mechanic that keep showing up in rpg and other genres that doesn't work? Or one you dislike or are tired of.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited June 2016
    More Anime -> JRPG adaptations...

I don't think you listed Naruto Path of the Ninja and Naruto Path of the Ninja 2. That's in the west, of course. Naruto Path of the Ninja 2 is actually the THIRD game in the RPG trilogy; the real 2nd game was never brought over.

This is annoying because the first Naruto Path of the Ninja follows the overall story of the Naruto manga/anime, and ends on a cliffhanger, which was presumably resolved in the second game. (The third game is a self-contained story that may be original.)

RPG players who want to know how the first game's story ends have to either import the second game and practice their Japanese, read the manga, watch the anime, or look it up on the Naruto wiki.

"No Export for You" woes aside, I thought both of the Naruto RPGs were enjoyable. There are some stylus-action elements to keep combat interesting; other than that they're straightforward, turn-based RPGs. The action elements aren't tremendously difficult.

I'd never read/watched Naruto before and was impressed by the quality of Path of the Ninja's story, which could be glimpsed in shining bits despite being mangled, squashed, and squeezed into RPG format. Perhaps this story praise is better directed to the original manga.

I also have a similar view of the One Piece Romance Dawn story. I'd never read/watched the One Piece manga/anime before, and enjoyed the RPG adaptation's story because it mirrored a fairly well-written manga/anime.

But the same problem returns, in that a lot of the original One Piece story is squished, squeezed, or outright lost in the adaptation. Not only were whole story arcs cut out, but various subtle things were never explained because there was no space.

Two Anime -> JRPG games to stay far away from: Inu-yasha The Secret of the Cursed Mask (PS2) and Inu-yasha The Secret of the Divine Jewel (DS). Cursed Mask would almost be playable if not for its horribly slow combat and long load times. Divine Jewel is just plain bad, one of the worst RPGs I've ever tried.
    Does combat get in the way of good story stelling?
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    The only reason we have an Inu-yasha review is because Roku lost a bet with Myst: https://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/ps2/inuyasha/reviews/inuyashastrev1.html
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Let's see, what anime-to-RPG adaptations have I actually played...

Sgt. Frog RPG -- excellent
    HamaTora: Look at Smoking World -- good, could have been better
    Croket! DS: Tenkuu no Eiyuutachi -- pretty decent combination of tactics and brawler genres.
    Bouken-Ou Beet: Buster vs. Vandel -- Dear Lord, take the memories away...
    Full Metal Alchemist, one of the GBA games (I forget which) -- kind of meh, obvious that it was made before volume 6 or so of the manga
    Groove Adventure Rave (one of the PSX games) -- barely got into this one
    Bastard! (PSX title) -- it had this weird first-person 3D overworld thing going on. Never did figure out how the battles were supposed to work.
    Mermanoid -- I almost forgot that this one was based on some obscure OVA series. Near as I can tell, the anime and the game have no plot in common.
    In a 365/24/7 news cycle, do some companies benefit from skipping e3 and having their own conference? Why or why not?
    Have you ever wondered what the bottom of an avatar's shoe looks like?
    edited July 2016
    If you were to make an rpg and budget and how much it makes wasn't an issue, but you had to choose three musicians to be the three controllable protagonist, who would you choose? Also, their style and music would be in the game.