If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#JRPGJuly 2016

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
Feel free to share your gaming progress and what you are playing for #JRPGJuly in this thread!

Comments

• imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited June 2016
    I don't know if it counts, but Monster Hunter comes out in July and I know I'll be playing that. If anyone wants to do some co-op Monster Hunter #JRPGJuly, I'd be down for that.
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm playing Final Fantasy 5 as part of the Four Job Fiesta. So far, I've been assigned White Mage and Time Mage. A fragile party like this is the reason why I was concerned I'd drop out and play a different game.

Hopefully my final two classes will be a little beefier.
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    I'll likely be spending most of the month playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited July 2016
    Hyperdimension Rebirth 1 on the Steam-box and Dark Souls 3 on ps4.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I'm already playing LoZ Minish Cap for the month-of this month. Its a fairly short game, so I'll likely have time for something else this month as well. But I really have no idea what I want to play. I don't even know which platform I want to play on. I'm leaning toward trying to get FF13-2 in, and trying to finish off my 360 backlog. Or I could play Persona 1. Or... eh with a backlog as big as mine I have a ton of options and a lot of them are appealing.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2016
    As the story states, I'm playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions! I've been gunning through the game and streaming as I go. You can catch me live most afternoons and evenings at https://www.twitch.tv/rpgamer, or if you want to watch from the start, I'm uploading the playthrough to our YouTube Channel:
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I'm sad. my TMS #FE isn't arriving until monday. To make up for that, I decided to play Valkyria Chronicles 2 on my Vita now that I can download it directly from the PSN. I am not far at all.

Bravely Second is my go to handheld title though. I just busted some ba'al and I'm going back to the city I guess. I have a wizard, a red mage, a white mage guy, and the weird job that can equip weapons on its head. I wish I had more jobs, but I guess I am only in chapter 1, so what can I expect? Also my moon base was finished like 3 days after I got the game and I don't feel like I've gotten anything good from it. I wanted a cool shiny weapon or shield. :(
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
  • thepayne78thepayne78 New Member Full Members
    edited July 2016
    I am currently playing the new Star Ocean and enjoying it so far.
    One game I am looking forward to is 7th Dragon III Code VFD when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Eventually I need to get a WiiU so I can actually play my copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Maybe I should finally put some serious effort in beating Persona 3 (Portable). I've tried at least twice before (though I was playing FES, not Portable), but for some reason I never got past May.

I started two weeks ago, and I am almost at the end of April. Third time's the charm?
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    So I am thrilled it is time for #JRPGJuly and as the intro states, I picked Okage: The Shadow King. This was a game recommended to me by Ocelot on the forums and I didn't think at first it would be a Nyx game, but it totally 100% is. I'm all the way into Chapter 4 of 7, though from how it's looking, it seems like the chapters are going to get much longer now. I was so surprised that five hours in and I was already at Chapter 4. XD

But seriously, this game has the right level of challenge, the story is hilarious, and I've been screencapping my experience over on my Twitter (@merrygodown) if you want to see my thoughts as I go through the game. :) How is everyone else's progress going?
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited July 2016
    I'll be playing 3 up to JRPGs this month, continuing Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage sessions, and possibly Star Ocean 5.

Will continue to hold my tongue about my problems with Xenoblade for now. Now that I have the Skell Flight Module, the game has simultaneously picked up and slowed down. Theres more sidequests than you can shake a stick at, but being able to navigate Mira properly now is a boon. I tend to change my party members out all the time, so my main character is pushing on level 49, while the 6-8 others that get used are somewhere in the 36-42 range. Its unfortunate because for the more serious fights they spend the bulk of their time laying on the ground while I do the work. Skell combat is actually pretty lame, its only use for me is when the terrain/poorly designed battle concepts render the player unable to hit the enemy with melee attacks. Not sure how much of Xenoblade I'll finish off. Most of the continents are sitting around 60% completion rate, however building up affinities with lesser used characters and just the sheer amount of time it takes to finish whats probably close to 500 remaining sidequests have me second guessing when I'll be feel like I've finished with the notable segments of the game. Fighting the insanely high level Tyrants does look like it could pose some enjoyment, though.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is actually surprisingly good thus far. From the media available, I had passed it off as something Hyperdimension Neptunia-esque, but I have to admit I was wrong here. Everything from the game's atmosphere to the UI just exudes positive vibes and good cheer, to the point that I can't help but feel good playing it. SMT inspired combat and skill inheritance is great too. The random level ups being brought over from FE probably don't work too well when there are a severely limited number of playable characters, but Im just gonna hope there is an algorhythm or something in place to prevent the player from getting screwed over. This is more or less exactly the style of game I've been looking to play for the past couple of months.

"Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    So I wanted to complete Tokyo Mirage Sessions before SGDQ started...and I did! 66.5 hours and the game is complete. I decided I actually didn't want to jump straight back into Omega Quintet, since I'd had an idol overload for the moment, so I needed a game I could play while watching Games Done Quick...so I had Chris toss some prettified mods for FF5 PC on my laptop.

I got amazing luck, receiving Black Mage as my first job. And then...I was assigned Berserker :neutral: More details in this week's write-up!
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Berserkin' all night and all day!

My picks (for my first FFV play-through ever) were White Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, and Samurai. The four-healer party was touch-and-go for awhile, but ninja and samurai have really evened everything out. I have a good feeling.
  • SonOfErdrickSonOfErdrick Full Members
    For this whole summer im rediscovering PS1 jrpgs i never got a chance to play. I'm currently playing Xenogears.

So far im about 40 hours in, and while being a good game, i think it got way too carried away with the dialogue, it feels more like reading a book sometimes, and its a shame because i think the battle system is awesome because you can do fighting move combos similar to Legend Of Legaia.

After i tough this game out, ill either move on to Breath Of Fire 4 or Jade Cocoon.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    I'm going to play Celestian Tales Howl of the Ravager prequel DLC.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    For this whole summer im rediscovering PS1 jrpgs i never got a chance to play. I'm currently playing Xenogears.

So far im about 40 hours in, and while being a good game, i think it got way too carried away with the dialogue, it feels more like reading a book sometimes, and its a shame because i think the battle system is awesome because you can do fighting move combos similar to Legend Of Legaia.

After i tough this game out, ill either move on to Breath Of Fire 4 or Jade Cocoon.

I've been working on BoF4, i had gotten really far back in the day (same with BoF3) and just couldn't fight it out at the end.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    Okage: Shadow King - I want to like this game. I really like the characters and the art style but playing it has been a bit boring. There is really nothing to make the turn based battles all that fun and while battles aren't entirely random enemies just materialize out of no where so this is still a lot of time spent fighting big mobs of weak enemies that barely give any experience or money. And so far the dungeons are bland as well. Hopefully it gets better.

I don't think I'll completely drop it, but might put it off for a bit.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I think you can run away from battles in Okage. Keep in mind that it's always 100 xp to the next level, so even 10-20 xp from a battle is still a significant amount.

I played Hexyz Force light side last JRPG July, so this time I'll play the dark side, and go for the neutral ending too. It seems the dark side party doesn't start with a dedicated healer, but playing dark side second means they get a lot of carry over FP to strengthen their weapons, which is nice.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members

I recommend BoF 4 and I agree about the Xeno-dialogue. My biggest beef is the text goes too slow.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited July 2016
    Victar wrote: »
    I think you can run away from battles in Okage. Keep in mind that it's always 100 xp to the next level, so even 10-20 xp from a battle is still a significant amount.

I played Hexyz Force light side last JRPG July, so this time I'll play the dark side, and go for the neutral ending too. It seems the dark side party doesn't start with a dedicated healer, but playing dark side second means they get a lot of carry over FP to strengthen their weapons, which is nice.

It's 1000, not 100. And running away fails a lot. I think I had not too much sleep and was getting annoyed easily the last time I played it though.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    It's 1000, not 100. And running away fails a lot. I think I had not too much sleep and was getting annoyed easily the last time I played it though.

Hm. I had 100 emblazoned in my head but it's been so many years since I played Okage...

Okage has one of the best RPG stories I've ever enjoyed, but I might have been more tolerant of required grinding back then. I strongly suspect that the game's required grinding and high difficulty level are why it never got more than a cult following. I'm still amazed it received a digital release.
  • SonOfErdrickSonOfErdrick Full Members

I've been working on BoF4, i had gotten really far back in the day (same with BoF3) and just couldn't fight it out at the end.

I have never played any of the BoF games, but it seems more like my cup of tea. I prefer the balance of story and action similar to how its done in games like Grandia or Final Fantasy 7. Xenogears has a good story, but it needs a lot more action to make it compelling.
    I decided to start up FF13-2. I came to this game with fairly high hopes because the time travel aspects and the demo seemed to indicate that at least some of what was wrong with FF13 was fixed here. I made it to the point where the historia crux opened up, and I have to say that the game itself has not left me with a good initial impression for the 2 hours I've played so far. The opening sequence was all overdone flash with annoying QTEs (ugh QTEs in an RPG...) battling for who knows (or cares) why. And the actual playable segments with Serah and Noel have not been particularly interesting so far. I really hope it gets better, but right now I'm finding myself bored with it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    smacd wrote: »
    I decided to start up FF13-2. I came to this game with fairly high hopes because the time travel aspects and the demo seemed to indicate that at least some of what was wrong with FF13 was fixed here. I made it to the point where the historia crux opened up, and I have to say that the game itself has not left me with a good initial impression for the 2 hours I've played so far. The opening sequence was all overdone flash with annoying QTEs (ugh QTEs in an RPG...) battling for who knows (or cares) why. And the actual playable segments with Serah and Noel have not been particularly interesting so far. I really hope it gets better, but right now I'm finding myself bored with it.
    For me, it didn't get better until one certain area, at which point it turned bloody epic. The music itself gives you the feel too. That area is the highlight of the entire game to me. Intense, terrifying, fights became somewhat challenging, and amazing music. Was well made.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Just completed Celestian Tales- Howl of the Ravager.

Wow, good stuff. I got this DLC "for free" as I'm a Kickstarter backer, but I think it's well worth $3. Makes me want to Old North (the main game) again and so I shall.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Made my way up to Chapter 4 in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Every time I play the game it seems to get more and more enjoyable. Barry's outbursts are pretty funny, and Kiria's side stories have certainly struck a cord thus far. As more characters and skills become available, so too does the battle system become even more engaging. Right now
    Ellie
    is probably my strongest character purely from the stats perspective, I can see her becoming a mainstay on my active team the rest of the game. In addition, I'm really liking traversing through the last two dungeons, they're varied and interesting while not being too overbearing. Everything about the game has just been plain and simple fun.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited July 2016
    She was a staple in my team too, for a very long time. I really only swapped her out when I was focusing on getting people's stage rankings up or evening out levels and for the final boss. The nice thing is she has great combos both in and out of the active party.
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    Finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions, enjoyable game, but the dungeon designs really didn't work for me.
    It didn't help that you keep returning to the same 3 dungeons for every side story.
    I'd still play a sequel, if they make one.

Returning to Odin Sphere, should keep me occupied for the rest of the month.
    edited July 2016
    For me, it didn't get better until one certain area, at which point it turned bloody epic.

Hopefully that area comes soon. I finished the battle with Atlas, and I'm having a hard time wanting to play more than a half hour at a time. Like I could play another hour, but I'd rather just go to bed. I'm going to push on though. If I can finish FF13, I can finish 13-2.

I'm not even really sure what it is that I'm not liking. Its starting to look like the time travel aspect may not exactly be what I was thinking it was- more like just a bunch of repeatable "levels" in different time periods, rather than a more.. I dunno, Chrono Trigger-y, Radiant Historia-y like time travel. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't really played very far into the story at all yet.

On the other hand, I actually enjoy the battle system. Though the paradigm and monster system seems really limiting.