If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#JRPGJuly 2016

Comments

• PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    I've been playing Lost Dimension the last few days and made it to chapter 3. Enjoying my time with it, the betrayal mechanic is pretty cool and the battle system is good.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Started and finished Star Ocean V. Plans now are to finish Tales of Zestiria and Sora no kiseki SC Evo (in time for my import copy of Sora no kiseki the Third Evo to arrive), with a bit of Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem and Atelier Sophie on the side.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I had to redo the final battle of Hexyz Force light side because I hadn't picked up an item needed to carry over to the second playthrough for a chance at the neutral ending. Thank goodness for GameFAQs.

Hexyz Force dark side doesn't start you off with a healer, which would make the game harder if not for the tons of FP that carry over and power up the hero's weapon.

I've heard rumors of issues with carrying over saves in the digital version of Hexyz Force, so I'm glad I have the physical edition.

Like last year, my JRPG July game just might stretch into August, September etc. because I'm distracted by other JRPGs (and World of Warcraft).

I'm getting into Fossil League (a cheap pokemon clone, only with dinosaurs) of all things. I started Earthbound Zero on my Wii U, only to be blown away by how huge the overworld is. And then there's Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which I'm playing on Easy to improve my odds of finishing it before Paper Mario Color Splash comes out.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Been playing the WoW:Legion Beta. Also got Star Ocean V, Suikoden V, Breath of Fire IV, and Orshika (or however it's spelled) Cursed Blood Lines going at the moment.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Finished up FFV (as much as I'll finish, anyways) and now working on the 7th Dragon demo. More details in this week's JRPGJuly column :)
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    Overwatch is TOTALLY an RPG!!!!!

I haven't actually been playing any RPGs for JRPGJuly. Whoops.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Really glad to hear that TwinBahamut is enjoying Romancing SaGa 2 so much. It really is one of the hidden gems of the 90s RPG library.
  • DarkLancerDarkLancer New Member Full Members
    Didn't think I'd be able to get something in for JRPGJuly, since I'm away from my systems for half the month (and I'm studying for the bar exam), but then I accidentally Disgaea D2. Went in for some item worlding, and then triggered my favorite leveling exploit. Enemy level up10% panels with Reverse Damage panels letting my level ~20 characters defeat level 9999s. Then I sort of blitzed the rest of the game. Ooops.

Final boss was still a little difficult though, so it wasn't a total bust. I got the true ending, which was kinda cute. Laharl and Etna both got fun little character arcs. I wouldn't put this as my favorite Disgaea game, but it's also not my least favorite. Probably exactly in the middle. Unless I get Disgaea 5, this'll be my last Disgaea game for quite a while, so that's a little sad, but it was a good run.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    Really glad to hear that TwinBahamut is enjoying Romancing SaGa 2 so much. It really is one of the hidden gems of the 90s RPG library.
    It really is, however, my enjoyment might be short-lived. I seem to have made... a terrible, terrible mistake, and have descended into a slow, agonizing death spiral that I just recently hit the bottom of. In other words, everyone in my party has 2 LP at the most, and I am facing two really tough-looking bosses right in a row. I just want this generation done with but, well, the game isn;t cooperating. I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later, so all I can do is laugh. Full details will have to wait until my next big post.

On a different note, I'm glad to see some of my fellow RPGamer staff enjoying the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta. I had actually just completed my Fiesta run for this year before starting Romancing SaGa 2. Like last year, I used the Chaos ruleset and got a team of a Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, and Bard. It was a pretty nice team, and even though it took some grinding in order to clear Neo Exdeath, it was probably my most successful run, particularly since it was the first time I ever actually beat Omega. And yeah, I can understand Paws getting frustrated with the final battle. The final boss is the one enemy in the game really balanced with fully-powered Freelancers and Mimics in mind, so it can take some annoying grinding to get enough HP to fight through it.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I found Snow in FF13-2. For some reason I get the impression that there is more to his situation than meets the eye after going through this time zone. Also, Hope was at least less annoying than he was in the original.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    My Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations run just hit a brick wall.

Since I was trying to get all of the main characters, I was stopped after chapter 17 (since I had all the adults) to grind out marriages. Unfortunately, one of the kids can die in the paralogue before I was able to talk to them, and like an idiot I let muscle memory kick in and save after the mission (since it acted like she joined anyway).

So I'm screwed now.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited July 2016
    Was it Soleil? The same exact thing happened to me with her. I'm still annoyed that I'll have to repeat that pairing to complete the support log.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Well the easy trick on both on the two this issue (yes TWO of the children have this potential really easily) is RESCUE rods.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    The problem isn't "oh no, I can't save them," but "oh no, I let them die, saved accidentally, and do not have a back-up earlier save!" >_<
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

The problem isn't "oh no, I can't save them," but "oh no, I let them die, saved accidentally, and do not have a back-up earlier save!" >_<

I had this problem too
    sig.gif

• SonOfErdrickSonOfErdrick Full Members
    I just finished Xenogears after slugging along in it for the past three weeks. its a good game, but i was not in the mood for an epic when i played it. Definitely needed more action to make it more compelling.

I now started Golden Sun for the first time which i love so far. The dialogue can drag sometimes, but i love vibrant feel of the game, and the junction system is a lot better than Final Fantasy 8's.

Star Ocean 2, Shadow Madness, Legend of Legaia, and Jade Cocoon all came in the mail from Ebay. So i have yet to decide what to play next after Golden Sun.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I've made it to the final Chapter of Sora no kiseki SC. I'm having a strangely productive month, beating Star Ocean V and Tales of Zestiria already.
    Stomped my first True Dragon in 7th Dragon Code VFD...but WoW's pre-expansion patch hits tomorrow. Now I'll have to pick!
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 2016
    Was it Soleil? The same exact thing happened to me with her. I'm still annoyed that I'll have to repeat that pairing to complete the support log.

'twas, though the same thing happened to my roommate with Ignatius as well. (His was Classic Lunatic, mine was Phoenix Normal)

Finally decided to suck it up and restart, this time abusing save files 5 and 6 just to make sure.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited July 2016
    When I played Wild Arms 5, I made Greg my healer. When Greg healed, he would often say, "Great! Now I can get back on offense."

To which I would reply, "No you can't, YOU'RE MY HEALER."

I can't remember if this was a good, bad, or meh strategy.

Oh, and I turned voices off for general exploration, in order to preserve my sanity. Dean says inane things like "Let's look at the map" way too much..

All the JRPGs I was experimenting with just got put on hold for the JRPG-inspired Undertale. I have two things to say about it:

1) Avoid all spoilers. Go into it blind.

2) If you're like me and sabotaged yourself by learning a ton of spoilers, play it anyway! It's just that good.

Edit: Wow. Just finished Undertale. Even knowing 80% of the story in advance, it STILL hit me right in the gut again and again and again. I'm sorry I didn't play it sooner.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Oof, Twin. I was afraid it might be the demonstone ring. At least it wasn't the final generation, because that would have sucked even more. It's a good thing that RS2 just assumes that you'll burn through parties like sparklers on the Fourth of July.

On the plus side, the LP-curse doesn't kick in if you rest in the imperial bedroom, and the ring's got some of the best magic defense stats of any equipment. It also protects against mental status effects, including Charm. Best of luck with Rocbouquet, but you might have to go for someone else (Subier, maybe?) if she gets too involved with the secret of the sunken towers to fight you.
    I've hit the point in FF13-2 where I just collected 5 Gravistones for Hope. Not sure how much of the game I have left, but it feels like the main plot is coming to an ending point soon, given that the next gate actually asks if I am ready, as if it were a gate to the final dungeon or something.

I have to say, if nothing else, FF13-2 made Hope a much less annoying character. He's pretty tolerable in this game.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    smacd wrote: »
    I've hit the point in FF13-2 where I just collected 5 Gravistones for Hope. Not sure how much of the game I have left, but it feels like the main plot is coming to an ending point soon, given that the next gate actually asks if I am ready, as if it were a gate to the final dungeon or something.

I have to say, if nothing else, FF13-2 made Hope a much less annoying character. He's pretty tolerable in this game.
    You're about to enter the next to final areas. If I remember right, there's about...2 of them, then it lets you head to the final area.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Okage has its frustrating or grindy moments in gameplay, but it also has an amazing soundtrack and a good story all the way to the end.

If grinding annoys you, then one option to minimize it is to pick two party members who are not the same element (Ari always has to be in the party) and stick with them exclusively. Sticking with two party members who are the same element is more dangerous, as it can lead to a quick death vs. the wrong enemies.

The good news is that you are never penalized for having Ari at a higher level than his teammates.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »
    Okage has its frustrating or grindy moments in gameplay, but it also has an amazing soundtrack and a good story all the way to the end.

If grinding annoys you, then one option to minimize it is to pick two party members who are not the same element (Ari always has to be in the party) and stick with them exclusively. Sticking with two party members who are the same element is more dangerous, as it can lead to a quick death vs. the wrong enemies.

The good news is that you are never penalized for having Ari at a higher level than his teammates.

The grinding generally doesn't bother me, it just does when I've got a limited amount of time (I work two jobs so it's tricky). I think I'm close to finishing the Chapter though, as I just need to go fight Linda. I actually love the game a lot and I think it's one of those overlooked titles that deserves a bit more than it got. But thanks for the suggestions!
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Well done everyone for week 3! I have so far completed 2 rpg's for JRPGJuly, Persona 1 and Dragon Quest III. Both weere started before July though.

RomSaGa 2 is interesting. My game stalled too. I'm going to start over when I replay I think. It stalled and I didn't know how to move on. We were broke essentially lol.
    Finished 7th Dragon last night. For a game with a very goofy story up until the latter half of the game, it certainly kicked me straight in the feels with a swift and fierce boot near the end. I was quite motivated to beat the final boss :expressionless:

I only have a couple levels left in Project X-Zone, and X-Zone 2 has been sitting on my desk waiting for 6 months, so that's next.
    I got to the final boss of FF13-2. I must be on the underleveled side, as I got to the final of the four bosses, and I eventually just can't get Jet Dragon down below about 50% before I get wiped. I might have to go back and grind on side quests. I mostly main-lined the game, so I suppose it makes sense that this battle was a struggle, as the enemies in the final area have been about the only challenging fights in the entire game up to this point. I wanted to do all the side stuff after beating the final boss, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Well, I finally managed to beat Chapter 4 of Okage. That chapter felt a little too long compared to the previous three (four dungeons, three bosses, lots of backtracking), but I'm still enjoying the game a lot. Chapter 5 is already off to an interesting start, with Ari becoming a ghost! No one can see me and it makes me sad face. :(