If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#JRPGJuly 2016

13»

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Live up being a ghost in Okage while you can! It's your one and only chance to loot the countryside without being harassed by random encounters. Also, you might stumble upon some funny scenes of your party members, if you visit the right places.

I'm back to playing Fossil League, a little bit. Its story makes no sense at all, and I think the only reason I keep going is that dinosaurs are cool.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    FINALLY finished Project X-Zone. The final level took me 3 hours...after I'd played it for 2 before it crashed T~T I'm told the sequel is superior in every way, so I'm diving straight into it.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    Oof, Twin. I was afraid it might be the demonstone ring. At least it wasn't the final generation, because that would have sucked even more. It's a good thing that RS2 just assumes that you'll burn through parties like sparklers on the Fourth of July.

On the plus side, the LP-curse doesn't kick in if you rest in the imperial bedroom, and the ring's got some of the best magic defense stats of any equipment. It also protects against mental status effects, including Charm. Best of luck with Rocbouquet, but you might have to go for someone else (Subier, maybe?) if she gets too involved with the secret of the sunken towers to fight you.
    Hahaha, if I was caught off-guard by that ring in the final generation I would have broken down and cried. Still, despite all of the problems I complained about in my last big write-up, I was able to pull through. Ended up beating Rocbouquet after all. It seems wiping almost every member of my party and switching to a new Empress was enough to get her to actually fight me in the sunken tower, and that cursed ring actually managed to help me through the fight ironically enough. It is a really amazing and useful ring, aside from the whole cursed-artifact-that-slowly-murders-your-entire-party thing.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yay, Twin! You're officially halfway through the end-game!

...good luck on the final boss. You'll need it >_>;
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    And now I am terrified. Thanks.

More seriously, I think I'll be ready when the time comes. Maybe. Probably not. But it is worth trying!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Rolled credits on FF13-2. Story and ending are both WTF. In retrospect, when exactly did the Final Fantasy series go from decent, straightforward plots, to convoluted LSD hallucinations?

Still need to work on gathering the rest of the fragments, I have 84 following the final battle.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    smacd wrote: »
    Rolled credits on FF13-2. Story and ending are both WTF. In retrospect, when exactly did the Final Fantasy series go from decent, straightforward plots, to convoluted LSD hallucinations?

Still need to work on gathering the rest of the fragments, I have 84 following the final battle.
    Yeah, 13-2 is a giant mess. If you want to see a lot of its story crap fixed (or at least handwaved so it's decent), either play or watch a playthrough of Lightning Returns.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Yeah, 13-2 is a giant mess. If you want to see a lot of its story crap fixed (or at least handwaved so it's decent), either play or watch a playthrough of Lightning Returns.

Yeah, Lightning Returns is one of my last few 360 backlogs, and I'm considering going right into it (depending on what the theme of the month is for Redwing's Year-of is for August).

I'm somewhat disappointed, everything I'd heard about 13-2 made me think I'd actually rather like it. I don't think its a bad game, but it is a mess and I don't think it was really necessary. I don't want to get my hopes up about Lightning Returns, especially as I got bored with the demo when it came out and never bothered finishing it.

I'm feeling really good about my decision to stop buying new Final Fantasy titles going forward unless they are more like the classic series than the mess we've had more often than not for the last 20 years.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    And now I am terrified. Thanks.

More seriously, I think I'll be ready when the time comes. Maybe. Probably not. But it is worth trying!

Haha, now I feel like spoiler-quoting from the (still) one-and-only mostly complete English FAQ for this game:
    You'll see a long walkway leading into the darkness. At the end of this is an
    Ancient ruin, with the last Hero standing in front of it. Be forewarned, this
    is RS2's official Point of No Return. You go up there, and you won't be able
    to leave. Be very sure that you're ready before challenging the Hero.

Penultimate Boss:
    WHICHEVER HERO IS STILL ALIVE AT THIS POINT

Check the "People to Kill" section for strategies against whichever Hero you're
    battling at this point.

After defeating the Hero, she/he/it will retreat back into the ruins. Take
    this moment to top off everything with potions. If you've got any Life Restore
    potions left, don't be afraid to use 'em up. This is why you bought all of
    them, right? It'd be a shame if all your characters died of low LP in the
    middle of battle.

Final Boss:
    THE SEVEN HEROES (HP, LOTS)

Thought you'd seen the last of these guys, eh? Wrong. They're all here now,
    and they're ready to take you on all together by fusing into this weird...
    gooey... organic looking thing.

This is a multi-stage battle. Every 6000 HP in damage that you deal to the
    boss, the body of another Hero sprouts out of it. It starts with Rocbouquet
    at the beginning of battle, then Subier (blue guy with single horn in forehead),
    then Noel, and then randomly with the other four Heroes. Now, this is very
    important: the final boss has available every technique, spell, and signature
    move belonging to those Heroes currently visible. So, at the beginning with
    Rocbouquet, the final boss can use Temptation, an electrical attack, Siphon,
    and weak epee attacks. As soon as Subier pops out, however, the final boss
    ALSO has Maelstrom, water spells, and spear attacks. For every Hero visible,
    that's one attack the final boss has, every turn, choosing from any attacks
    belonging to those Heroes. So by the end of this, the final boss will be
    throwing seven attacks at you EVERY ROUND, with everything ranging from weak
    stabbing attacks to Maelstrom and Psycho Bind. Scared yet?

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    smacd wrote: »

Yeah, Lightning Returns is one of my last few 360 backlogs, and I'm considering going right into it (depending on what the theme of the month is for Redwing's Year-of is for August).

I'm somewhat disappointed, everything I'd heard about 13-2 made me think I'd actually rather like it. I don't think its a bad game, but it is a mess and I don't think it was really necessary. I don't want to get my hopes up about Lightning Returns, especially as I got bored with the demo when it came out and never bothered finishing it.

I'm feeling really good about my decision to stop buying new Final Fantasy titles going forward unless they are more like the classic series than the mess we've had more often than not for the last 20 years.
    It's non-linear as hell to a degree, and is LESS of a mess than 13-2. It's not the greatest end for the saga, but it does well enough that it at least left me ending it with a "at least it gave me a decent end."
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."