If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - Don't Buy Day One

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
Does spending money on games before they are out even make sense anymore? We delve into the business and cultural factors of the pre-order problem.

Listen
Archive
Feed
Apple
Google

Talking Points from this Episode:
-Preorders are better for the giant corporations than the consumer.
-Consumer rationality - use it
-Are there any digital bonuses that are worth
-Carrots and sticks
-Particulars of our niche.
-Day one product isn’t done.
-Loyalty is a crock
-Mutual abuse
-Adding more toxicity to the environment
-Cheaper better version is a year away - literally.
-You have a backlog anyhow.

Next Time: Grind

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    There is a fantastic moment where Trent yells at me in this episode. It's kind of epic, you guys.
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    FFXII set my expectations for other bonuses way too high. I got the tin case, Bonus DVD, the strategy guide bound with art book that didn't disappoint. The whole thing was very classy.

The "Art book" that other games came with were basically the game manual without words. I was expecting them to be full of concept art that you wouldn't find anywhere else. But it's just the promotional art I've already seen online, printed really small like thumbnails, what a rip off.

I remember getting a poster with my purchase of FFXIII-2. You know, I really expected it to be rolled up like how posters are normally sold. But they hand me this thin brochure thing, which was the poster folded and creased a bunch of times. Thanks?
    Even the "crease-resistant" posters I've gotten in the mail were shipped folded up with the game, but I had my doubts and expected as much.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    The pre-order experience in Japan is really different (though that's to be expected, I guess). It's free, for one thing; no money down when you put in the reservation. I can (and have) reserved at multiple locations when I only intended to get one copy, though that was mainly because I discovered that the convenience store 3 minutes away from my school was taking reservations for a big title like DQIX or FF4DS, and it released on a Saturday, so I could pick it up in the morning before my first class and be the envy of my elementary school boy students.

If you want the cool stuff, you have to spring for the deluxe box package, but those are usually not hard to get if you get your order in fairly early. One that I really wished I'd gotten was Metal Max 3, with a drum-can mug, dog-tags, and some other in-joke stuff from the series. The special box for Metal Max 4 (which I DID get) included a cleaning cloth map of the game region, a soundtrack, a manga detailing the adventures and death of a major pre-game supporting character, and DLC codes for four special bosses. Early ownership also entitled me to a special downloadable vehicle that was only available for the first two months after the game's release. Wild Bus rocks! :)

I guess the biggest reason for me to pre-order something is to knock an automatic ten to fifteen bucks off the price at Tsutaya. The occasional soundtrack, knicknack, artbook, or actual book (extra copy of Magic Master with the PS3 release of Ni-no-Kuni!) is just cream on the cake.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    That's good advice.
    Best of both worlds is Amazon's prime 20% discount on pre-orders and new releases. You get 20% discount as long as it's within 2 weeks of release. So don't preorder as stated, wait for reviews (typically available on launch day if not sooner), and then buy if reviews are good. You still enjoy your "loyal customer" 20% discount even though you never promised to buy the game.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited July 2016
    For indie games or niche JRPGs, then I think it's worth it. Not to get any stupid pre-order bonuses, but just to support the developer. It doesn't have to be a pre-order or day one, but at least buy them early (i.e., when they're still "full price), which will still probably cost less than a new AAA title. Not only because you want the developer to stay in business, but because you want all developers to know there's a market for that kind of game.

For AAA games, just don't bother. Wait until the thing is discounted, and is all patched up. Let some other suckers pay ~$60 for it while you play 3-5 cool indie games for the same price. If there's pre-order merch you actually want you might be able to get it on eBay or something.

And if a publisher tries to entice you with "free" DLC ask yourself if they really deserve your money. It's probably throw away content anyway.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    I agree in theory, and almost always in practice. However, I've been waiting far too long for Persona 5 and will almost certainly buy it day one or soon after.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I preordered the digital deluxe version of World of Warcraft: Legion and I have no regrets. I know I will be playing this expansion at release, and I wanted the in-game mount and pet that come with the digital deluxe version.

Best of all, I get the in-game mount and pet right now! The mount is sadly a ground-only mount, but the pet is pretty good in pet battles. (Preordering also gives immediate access to some cosmetic stuff for other Blizzard games, notably demon wings for Diablo III).

I don't know if any other online games give you digital items right now for preordering something to be released in the future, but depending on how much the player enjoys the digital items, it could be a valid justification for preordering a digital game from a big-name developer.

Oh, and preordering any version of Legion supposedly gives players access to the new Demon Hunter class a week early. While I may mess around with that, I'm a little skeptical of it... if the servers get clogged and gamers get forced off, they may be denied some of their promised early week. What then?
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    edited July 2016
    In the case of things like Fire Emblem Fates, which sold out in only a few hours across 3 websites (Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop), the Special edition gave you access to all 3 games on 1 cartridge, gave you Revelations weeks before it was released digitally and at a cost equal to purchasing all 3 paths normally, so it was actually the better deal. I always try to pre-order Nintendo Special Editions, since I'd rather not pay the scalpers price.
  • thepayne78thepayne78 New Member Full Members
    Now there are some day one editions that are completely done for whatever reason it was called a day one edition like Dragon Quest Heroes.

I honestly do not do preorders for the bonuses, I pretty much treat preordering like a layaway so I can pay off games over time before they come out.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I'm actually cutting back on my preorders, but since I get money off games that rarely if ever see a consumate price drop within 24 months (handheld and Nintendo games) I look at it as an advantage. Because I put no money down to preorder "Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem" in 2013 from a retailer that technically doesn't exist anymore, I ended up saving $40 after tax on Tokyo Mirage Sessions a week ago. If that game gets a sale I'll eat my hat.

Of course, I'm lucky in that I do review things on occasion - my little preorder tracking sheet has a section for "Do I have an opportunity to review this". And the way prices are trending here, those opportunities are becoming rarer and forcing me into the backlog more.

WRT to digital preorders, I've done it once on PSN, and a couple of times on Nintendo systems. In the PSN case, I did it on a low priced game ($15), and did it the night before the game launched so I still got the preorder theme. Sony's really putting me off of it because they're offering preorders on stuff that isn't coming out until next year (For Honor, Horizon) and if reviews say "Hey, this actually sucks" you have no recourse.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    I have to admit preorder sometimes ^^ Thank you for another great episode!

I finally got my Vita! Thanks to you guys I now own one. I had barely looked at it before. Ready to dive in!

Remote play is a curious thing. Never used it. I'm curious to see how it works. I would love to hear from you what you use your Vita for. Do you use remote play?
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Mostly use my Vita for native games. Remote Play is hit and miss on my network, so unless I'm really close to my PS4 it just doesn't work right.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Remote Play is kind of stupid. If I'm going to bother to turn on my console and set up the game, why would I play it on my Vita? I did it like once. Still think it's pretty pointless.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I tend to get stuff either day one or preorder cause where I live it's hard to track down RPG's. Heck even Best Buy was like why not join our gamer club and get 20% off new games. I told the guy most of the games I play you guys never stock. he wasn't sure how to take that response.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    Remote Play is kind of stupid. If I'm going to bother to turn on my console and set up the game, why would I play it on my Vita? I did it like once. Still think it's pretty pointless.

I love it, I tend to favour handhelds even at home. I can sit on our veranda and play or on the couch which is a little too far for me to read text easily. :) I can see why people wouldn't want to use it though.
    Oh. Don't get me wrong. I like using handhelds at home, but part of the beauty of that is not even having to do anything with the console. I don't remember the exact logistics of remote play, but I certainly remember the console at least has to be on and I think you also have to enter the game using the console. The being on thing isn't such a big deal maybe, but if you also have to navigate to the game using the console, it seems like you might as well continue laying on the console and play on a bigger screen.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Digital pre-order: You can get a discount or small DLC like you can with a physical game.
    It's not worth it though. It's better long-term to wait for release and buy games that review well.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited July 2016
    You must never have lived with a spouse/significant other, or kids. Remote Play is an absolute God send for those of us who have all our consoles on a shared TV, and someone(s) else who gets priority use of the TV (and doesn't intend to use that console).

Sure, if you live alone and have absolute access to your TV and console, its hard to justify Remote Play outside of playing in bed or on the crapper though.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    Some people are still going to have to buy day one because I need a reasonable pool of forum impressions before I buy anything.
    smacd wrote: »
    You must never have lived with a spouse/significant other, or kids. Remote Play is an absolute God send for those of us who have all our consoles on a shared TV, and someone(s) else who gets priority use of the TV (and doesn't intend to use that console).

Sure, if you live alone and have absolute access to your TV and console, its hard to justify Remote Play outside of playing in bed or on the crapper though.

Ah. That's true. I live alone and playing in the bathroom is stupid. Playing in bed is fine, but like I said, if I'm going to be playing in bed, I don't want to get up to set up the console and start up the game.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Playing in the bathroom is stupid? I do that ALL the time. Unless you mean Remote Play, in which case I can only do that when the game lets me. Fallout 4 and FF Type-0 have worked best for me.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    When I go to the bathroom, I do my business and leave. I don't linger around to play games. It's much more pleasant to play elsewhere.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    When I go to the bathroom, I do my business and leave. I don't linger around to play games. It's much more pleasant to play elsewhere.

Another sign you don't have anyone else living with you. I cherish my only alone time for as long as I can.

Seriously, the only big plans I have for my first house is how I'm going to make my personal bathroom a glorious room of solitary comfort.