If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 31: Legend of Zelda X - Q&A Quest

Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Black Mage IdolAdministrators
This week in Q&A, E3 is the cause of many tangents. Among the side topics are The Legend of Zelda and games developed by tri-Ace.

Episode 31: Legend of Zelda X - Q&A Quest
Bravely second...
The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Starting with a MegaMan tune? Awesome!

Tri-Ace... Some of theirs that I really like were never released stateside, like Beyond the Labyrinth or Star Ocean Blue Sphere.

I haven't actually seen any material on the new Zelda game, but just from you guys I'm reminded of this conversation we had about five years ago (scroll down a bit to find my piece).
  • Gold_guardianGold_guardian Member Full Members
    Why isn't the episode showing up on the feeds?
    ~Shining Nova~
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Because XML is a wicked ripped pain in the &
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Why isn't the episode showing up on the feeds?

Currently working to finish 7th Dragon III review, feed will be updated once that is completed.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Rss and archive updated folks. Sorry for the delay! Time management is not my forte.

Tri-Ace... Some of theirs that I really like were never released stateside, like Beyond the Labyrinth or Star Ocean Blue Sphere.

I haven't actually seen any material on the new Zelda game, but just from you guys I'm reminded of this conversation we had about five years ago (scroll down a bit to find my piece).

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN DOING Q&A?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!??
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • thewalkindudethewalkindude Full Members
    Do you have any idea as to why Tokyo Mirage Sessions is what it is? I can follow the SMT stuff as the atmosphere isn't too different from a Persona game, but I can't understand how why they decided to mix Fire Emblem and idols.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »
    Rss and archive updated folks. Sorry for the delay! Time management is not my forte.

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN DOING Q&A?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!??

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN DOING JAPANDEMONIUM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!1.

Time sneaks up on you, man.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    My "Shots fired at a supremely popular video game!" comment for Episode 29 was in reference to the Call of Duty slam at the very end, although the (much earlier in the episode) slam on Half-Life also fits. Sadly, most RPGs cannot be called "supremely popular".

I listened to the episode 29 all the way through again purely for fun. It's really a blast. My favorite quote:

"Konami is a pachislo company now and I don't have to care about them... You will set yourself free if you remember, 'Konami doesn't make video games anymore and they aren't interested in my business.'"

Also, I finally remembered an RPG with really weird item descriptions... Sequence. It's a Kickstarted rhythm game RPG on Xbox 360 Indie Games and also on the PC. Almost every item description in the entire game is a terrible, terrible pun.

Sequence is also a modestly fun game, with a decent story, for an inexpensive price. Anyone who wishes that Final Fantasy Theatrhythm had a story should give it a try.
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    Do you have any idea as to why Tokyo Mirage Sessions is what it is? I can follow the SMT stuff as the atmosphere isn't too different from a Persona game, but I can't understand how why they decided to mix Fire Emblem and idols.

The project was originally intended to be some kind of SMT X FE crossover style game, developed specifically for the Wii U. As for the direction it took, reportedly, Intelligent Systems wanted Atlus to make an RPG that they couldn't, in other words, not an SRPG. I read that someone from Intelligent Systems said they really liked the visual of a Pegasus Knight leaping off the 109 building in Shibuya and most SMT games take place in Tokyo already, so it seems the direction was always leaning towards SMT style games.

As for how idols became a thing, I have no idea.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I wonder if i should play the virtues last reward 999 trilogy of games. Anyone familiar with the series?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    I wonder if i should play the virtues last reward 999 trilogy of games. Anyone familiar with the series?

They're damn good, I think most people here who have played them would probably agree.

I haven't had a chance to play Zero Time Dilemma yet though, what with the collectors edition watch snafu and Amazon's poor handling of it. Still don't have the watch yet. Sad that all the biggest fans are the ones that got screwed over the most and many didn't get to play on release day.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Is jrpg and wrpg a style of game, or strictly where it's made?
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Victar wrote: »
    I listened to the episode 29 all the way through again purely for fun. It's really a blast. My favorite quote:

"Konami is a pachislo company now and I don't have to care about them... You will set yourself free if you remember, 'Konami doesn't make video games anymore and they aren't interested in my business.'"

I don't have a problem with Konami wanting out of the video game business, if they find other pursuits more profitable. What I have a problem with is their holding many great classic IPs captive with no real intent to develop them substantively. Sell the bloody rights! I'm sure there would be many developers eager to get the rights to a series like Castlevania. Some of them would probably even be good developers. Who really gives a Moo whether a slot machine is Castlevania themed? That's a stupid reason to hold onto the rights. Sell them! And give Metal Gear to Kojima. He deserves it and he's also the only one who MIGHT not Moo all over the series if a new game is made.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.