If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 169: Superego

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
The corporate entity Square Enix hasn't been known for frequent inventions of new IPs in recent years, but a DS game which received consistent acclaim is one that qualifies. Its title may be a bit grandiose, but the content may actually deserve it.
Darn limits on points that accrue.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited July 2016
    There is a funny coincidence I experienced for TWEWY and Bravely Default that I forgot to mention during the episode. I said that I had bought an album in Tower Records in Shibuya (Towa Records is in TWEWY). That album is actually Nein, the latest by Sound Horizon. It is a band lead by Revo, the composer for Bravely Default. :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    There's a stream of logic that has The World Ends With You making me meet my current roommate and a lot of my friends (Mingle Mode -> StreetPass -> local StreetPass group). I don't know if that's why it's one of my top 10 games of all time, but it helps. It's the ultimate DS game (a quirky JRPG that uses every gimmick the system had up to and including sleep mode). Hell, if I wasn't deep into #JRPGJuly I might pull it back out for a replay and see if I can get Neku to crossdress this time.

As for next episode... do you really have to talk about THAT thing?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The word "superego" is like the word "inflammable" - it doesn't mean what the parts of the word imply it means.

The definition of "superego" is "the part of the human psyche that prevents the selfish id from doing whatever it wants", or "conscience".

It's still a great title, since a core part of TWEWY is about the selfish protagonist gradually developing his conscience and learning to empathize with others.

TWEWY is in my backlog. The one time I tried it, I was frustrated by the combat system, anxious about all the timed missions, didn't get WTF was going on with the pins, and annoyed by the StreetPass feature since there's no chance of that happening. But it sounds like TWEWY is worth another try sometime in the near future!
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The battle system was pretty interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of this art style or theme, but hunting the pins was fun.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Did I miss an announcement that there was a hiatus for Backtrack? Or have I just forgotten that there was one?