If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Out of town trip - what to play?

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
So, I'm taking my daughter to hockey camp a week from Monday, which means that I will be spending significant amounts of the day with nothing to do. I am planning to take my X360 along with me to alleviate some of this issue (and so the two of us will have a game system/movie player for the evenings), and I'd like some advice on what to play while there. Since I will potentially have 25-30 hours of gaming time for the week, I thought it would be a good idea to knock out something from my backlog. I'm deciding between picking a game I haven't touched before and working on that, or trying to finish up several games that I have previously started, but fell off of for whatever reason.

Here are the choices for a fresh game: Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, FFXIII, Tales of Vesperia, Enchanted Arms, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Brutal Legend

I have several in the "to be finished" pile, such as Resonance of Fate, Nier, Dead Island, Dark Star One, and so forth. I could potentially get two or three of those knocked out.

Results will certainly not be binding, but I welcome the input. Thanks.

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Hilariously, while 25-30 hours is a ton of time, most of these JRPGs will take double that. Of the unplayed list, I highly recommend Tales of Vesperia. I still think it is the series best, and it's especially friendly if you are not exactly a Tales vet. That said, it's 60-80 hours of content, easily.

I also like Lost Odyssey, though please make sure you install the discs one at a time. I also have a slight soft spot for Enchanted Arms, though it is really rough--make sure to play it in Japanese, because the dub skirts just past hilariously bad into just down-right bad.

Finally, I have heard nothing but horror stories for The Last Remnant on 360. I am not even sure that installing helps; it seems to be best as just a PC title.
    ClixPsi.png
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Infinite Undiscovery should be around a 25-hour title, but yeah the rest of those fresh RPGs are 40+. Expect something ok, but not great from IU. It's certainly not the best of that list, I'd agree with Clix that Vesperia is my favourite from that set.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    I don't feel the need to finish a game while I am there if I get a healthy start on it, so that isn't necessarily a factor. If I put that much time into one, it should hook me enough that I will finish it when I get back home. Having that big of a block of time, though, gives me a nice chance to try a new game without getting distracted by something else in the early going.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited July 2016
    I'm not very familiar with any of the games on your lists, but I'll throw this suggestion out there:

Boot Hill Heroes

It's an Earthbound style indie JRPG set in a "Spaghetti Western" setting. (RPGamer review here). And apparently it has optional 2 player co-op so you and your daughter could even play it together.

I haven't played far in it but what I have seen is pretty cool. It has a total playtime of 10-15 hrs. There's also a short DLC campaign on Steam for a buck; not sure if it's available on 360.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    You really got a list of mostly meh to bad games there, though a couple good ones.

Resonance of Fate - no plot, battle system never evolves
    Infinite Undiscovery - main plot feels like what would have been a side quest in another game
    FF13 - ugh
    Enchanted Arms - probably the worst game in the generation by a long shot

I've heard nothing good about TLR on 360, or SO4, though I haven't played them. I have no comment on Nier, Dead Island, Dark Star One, etc, or Brutal Legend as I haven't played them.

So it really comes down to Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia. I liked both of them, so I'd recommend either. ToV is probably the most forgettably generic of the Tales games to me, but that's not to say its not good.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    The fact that most of the list is underwhelming is part of why they are games that I haven't gotten around to yet. I've generally heard good things about Vesperia, but the only other Tales games I have played are Abyss (very good) and Phantasia (not very good). I've also heard good things about Lost Odyssey. Brutal Legend and FF13 I've heard mixed reviews on, but sometimes I really enjoy games that aren't as critically lauded.

I did enjoy my previous time with Nier, but didn't pick it back up after the halfway point. Resonance of Fate has so much style that I just love looking at it, and it is fun for a couple hours at a time. Dead Island was neat, but Dying Light was a much better version of it. It might make more sense to poke around on the shorter/partially completed games, but I wanted to consider all my options.