If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 32: Random Tangent Quest - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we reminisce about the old Q&A column. We also venture off onto a host of random tangents.

Episode 32: Random Tangent Quest - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Did somebody order an Iga .gif?
    a0QZwpP.gif
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    this podcast has just re-lit the fire in me to produce questions. We simply cannot have another pure tangent episode. Not only does it miss the point of a Q&A, it also smells bad and doesn't wash its hands. You have made a powerful enemy today, tangents.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Did somebody order an Iga .gif?
    a0QZwpP.gif

Best Gif ever
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    MASS DESTRUCTION!

Haha, I make you feel OLD!

Of course, I still remember when this guy named Thor was in charge of Q&A... >_>

I'm almost finished with Blue Sphere, so I'll be telling you aaaaaaaaall about it soon. It's understandable that it got cut off from export at the end of the GBC period, but it's weird that the mobile phone version with the improved graphics has remained stuck on the mobile phones, with no iOS ports.

Judas Code, Judas Code... oh yeah, I remember that one.

And of course, I am willing to talk about Beyond the Labyrinth whenever you want to hear ;)

We had all sorts of random imagination challenges back in the day, remember? I still have notes for some of these in my creative writing folder.

The original Megami Tensei games were sequels to an actual late-70s early 80-s Japanese mythic horror novel thingy. The series was weird from the very beginning, and it loves it. And it's always interesting to look at how the series re-invents itself for every single major new platform. Hm... I really should try SMT2 sometime.

So, an actual question for you: Are there any major RPG releases in Japan these days with no overseas potential at all? Because it seems like every non-downloadable title I've covered in the last year (and a few of the downloadable ones, too) have been released or announced for release.

Ah, yes, the Y Files... with Agents Malder and Cully. I am forever amazed that Level-5 gets away with some of this stuff. Their marketing guys are grandmasters of the craft, too. I mean, the main soccer stadium in Fukuoka City is STILL named after the company. And the new major character for Yo-Kai Watch 3, USApyon, has already appeared in half-a-dozen games and a movie at this point.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    Here's two unrelated questions for you:

1. When was the last time you really liked a protagonist, particularly from a Japanese RPG? Even discounting the many silent protagonists, I've come to expect them to be bland most of the time. I imagine that makes it it so that they are have slightly more personality than a Heroic Mime, but players can project themselves onto the protagonist to some degree. I am genuinely surprised that I like Yew Geneolgia from Bravely Second as much as I do. Tiz from the first game is a nice guy, but there's not that much nuance to his personality. Yew is more engaging, interesting, and unexpectedly adorable.

2. What RPGs have you played or know of that had an unexpected celebrity work on them? I recently learned that Origa, a now deceased Russian singer who lived in Japan, had done the vocals for several pieces of music from Final Fantasy XIII-2. She had done music for some anime series, particularly Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but I had no idea she lent her amazing voice to a Final Fantasy game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    From what I've seen of no man's sky, it looks more like a tech demo than a game.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Breath of Death VII showed that skeletons in RPGs could be cool. Undertale proved that skeletons in RPGs are AWESOME. Just sayin'.

So we've got soccer RPGs (Inazuma Eleven series), tennis RPGs (Mario Tennis for GBC and GBA), rhythm RPGs (Sequence, Crypt of the Necrodancer), brawler-RPGs and sidescroller-RPGs (too many to count), board game RPGs (Dokapon series), adventure-game/RPG hybrids (Quest for Glory series) and at least one bullet-hell RPG (Undertale).

What are some gaming genres that deserve to be crossed with RPGs and haven't been?
    Have there been any games you didn't enjoy, but later gave a second chance to and ended up liking it?
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    Have there been any games you didn't enjoy, but later gave a second chance to and ended up liking it?

and then the reverse of that, has there been any games that you liked until you went back to play it a second time? Preferably not an old old title, because some of them didn't age well, but something you expected to hold up a lot better on replay than it did? For me it's Lunar Silver Star. I loved it when i first played it but a replay zapped my nostalgia right into nothingness. i'm not even sure why i didn't like it the second time.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Budai wrote: »

and then the reverse of that, has there been any games that you liked until you went back to play it a second time? Preferably not an old old title, because some of them didn't age well, but something you expected to hold up a lot better on replay than it did? For me it's Lunar Silver Star. I loved it when i first played it but a replay zapped my nostalgia right into nothingness. i'm not even sure why i didn't like it the second time.

For me that would be xenogears. I will always love the game, but it's so clunky I can't play it anymore.