If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 33: It's Always Sunny in Q&A - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited August 2016 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest, we discuss the Yo-Kai Watch and Monster Hunter series. We also talk about what a Zelda turn-based RPG might look and play like.

Episode 33: It's Always Sunny in Q&A - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2016
    Yay! Kitaro reference! That is THE manga to refer to when discussing youkai. It also doesn't get terribly cutesy until the 80s reboot manga, and much more so in the 2009 anime series. The original books, titled Hakaba no Kitaro are firmly rooted in a pre-war era circle of horror story authors, and Mizuki Shigeru's experiences in the South Pacific Arena (and esp. Papua New Guinea) can be seen in a lot of places. A not-surprising number of characters (even good guys) end up with cannibal teeth, for example.

Huh, the song thing in cartoons was something that was common in the late 70s - early 80s Tatsunoko series, but no idea why it would show up in dubs of later things.

I loved the original Super Mario Bros. cartoon show, the one with the live-action bits with Mario and Luigi in their basement office somewhere in Brooklyn. All the cartoons episodes were weird attempts to graft characters and monsters from the first two Mario games (except for Wart, oddly enough) into as wide a variety of American cultural touchstones as possible. There was even one episode based on the Mad Max movies, where Toad gets a super star and transforms into the Toad Warrior, only for it to run out at the properly climactic moment (his chopper turns into a tricycle at the same time).

The Super Mario World show was definitely (just) a little more polished, and didn't go quite as gonzo with the various settings, but it was... not as fun for me. I do remember that at one point the only girl in the Koopa Kids got Bowser to kidnap Milli Vanilli to sing at her birthday party, though.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2016
    Getting back to listening to the second half of the show...

Oh man, Lagoon. I rented that once, back in the day, and I could not even figure out how to hit anything without dying.

Also, no need to apologize for the Conception reference. I barely paid attention to that series the first time it went through JP, and I didn't even realize you'd made the joke until Wheels called you on it.

"Basically" Mulder and Scully? The characters' names are Malder and Cully. >_>;

It was Tales of the World: Reve Unitia. Summoner's Lineage was for GBA, and it wasn't very good...

Scribblenauts for DS! That and Clash of Heroes are the only US-made DS games I own.

There's a surprising amount of crossover in the iWhatever markets between Japan and the US, to the point that I had to double-check any iOS game I considered for JP just to make sure it wasn't originally in English (and there WERE times when I had to dump a half-finished write-up because of that). In the grand scheme of things the numbers were probably still a drop in the bucket, but the fact that there's any movement westward over the Pacific in that market is kind of weird. For my very last column, I had to drop something because apparently the XBox One virtual store includes some translations of US-made games.

This was the only Nyazinger I could find. Apparently it's from a gacha-style iWhatever game called Nyanko Daisensou:

v3U1Np9.png

Whoops, spoke too soon. Here's a joke poster for the never-to-happen crossover battle classic anime film, Nyazinger Z vs. Devil-nyan

62956134.jpg?20130830152035
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    A. No-one has helped Wheels with his Yo-kai Watch 2 choice yet? ... Well I'll choose you Bony Spirits. *hic*

Reasoning? Mostly because the eShop version comes with a code for a robo kitty (F type?).
    Alternatively the enemy group attack medal sounds more useful to me, if you do go with the physical version.

As a bonus; I heard Boney Spirits has this 3-headed snake, which might be hard to trade for otherwise (good for competitions or something).

Then you can try to get Fleshy Soles on clearance later on, for the (self-destructive) ally+enemy attack medal. Or an eShop sale, if they still have that pretty sailor kitty. ;)

Mind you, I really don't know anything about yo-kémon games. Nope-nope! So it's best you just ignore me and buy all four versions on day one. Yep-yep!

Q. Zelda: Ocarina of Time is pretty much to blame for popularity of the lock-on system in games.
    So do you think you could play a 3D Zelda without using the lock-on? (With/without your Monster Hunter skills?!)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited August 2016
    Is the medium A or AA game almost dead? It seems like it's become hard to do anything that isn't a top end AAA title or go other direction with an indie. Maybe Japanese games like Nintendo sort of find a way to avoid this, but it's an issue in my opinion. Do you agree or disagree?
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Do you think square enix or others announce their games to early? Does a game sell more with a longer hype cycle, or a shorter one like fallout 4 and all the dark souls games do.