If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 395: "Juicing Cats"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 395: "Juicing Cats"

The Legion invades this episode of RPG Cast. While Alice, Anna Marie, Chris, and Kelley are fighting off demons, Alex goes for a relaxing drive. Also, apparently some stuff happened in the world of FFXV. I'm sure it's fine now, but let's see what happened.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Juicing Cats"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What's cool from PAX West?
179811.png

Comments

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited August 2016
    How can you open this with a blatant lie? And then leave me hanging waiting for your explanation! Is that like some kind of moment of zen? More like anti-zen. It's infuriating. What's the basis for saying there's no exploration in Metroid?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • UnpetitmaxUnpetitmax Member Full Members
    How can you open this with a blatant lie? And then leave me hanging waiting for your explanation! Is that like some kind of moment of zen? More like anti-zen. It's infuriating. What's the basis for saying there's no exploration in Metroid?

I'm pretty sure it's actually a clip from an older rpgcast.
    look for March 31, 2008
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited August 2016
    Regardless, Metroid (at least the original) is essentially nothing but exploration. The statement is about the most backwards one I can think of. There's nothing telling you where to go or what to do anywhere in the game and you do have a significant amount of freedom of movement. It's ALL exploration. The kind of mental contortions in defining "exploration" you'd have to go through to label the gameplay of Metroid as "no exploration" is flabbergasting. Probably the incendiary nature of the comment is why they chose it as a quote to sum up the older rpgcast though.

And from what I heard on the older rpgcast the argument wasn't defended very well. They focused on some nonsense about missile upgrades. I'm sorry, but you can't judge whether a game has exploration by the quality of the loot. You can judge whether the exploration is fun, worthwhile, etc. by such standards, but the quality of loot has no bearing on a blanket assertion like there's no exploration. Even if there were no optional areas whatsoever in the game I would still contest the idea that there's "no exploration," because exploration is the very essence of the gameplay.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Correct. It's a completely ridiculous statement.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The actor who does ignis in ff15 sounds very similar to baltheir in ff12. So I can see the confusion.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    Regardless, Metroid (at least the original) is essentially nothing but exploration.
    And that's why I love listening to Oliver say that so much.

179811.png