If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - I Quit

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
Sometimes the only winning move is not play, and then try to eke some trade-in value out it. The panel delves into what makes us walk away from a game.

Listen
Archive
Feed
Apple
Google

Talking Points from this Episode:
-Slog (some people think these means grind)
-Changing the rules under stress
-I’m done. I see what you go there, I got other things to do. See also backlog
-Trent has some examples
-Mac has started to prioritize beyond ‘good enough’
-Sam needs help
-Dog with a bone
-Technology issues
-Spoiling yourself
-Death by fire vs death by ice
-Replays with no intention of finishing
-Acceptance

Next time: Something else

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Blue dragon is decent game that unfortunately had the least interesting first 7 or so hours. Once you get the adult female character and get to the first huge city, it's much more interesting.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Well for my part, I have a hard time to let a game go! I want to finish them all… and near the end of most of the games, I can’t wait for them to be over and I push myself to finish them.

I often start one, get a bit bored, stop, go play something else and come back to it and ty to finish it again, unless it have been too long since I play and start all over again. It’s does help a lot that I usually play multiples games at the same time.

But then again I got some game some game that I don’t know why, I can’t get pass a certain spot, like I did play them 2-3 times from the beginning and stop around the same place. Like Earthbound, I never got to the point where you got Poo, I always stop sometime after I get Jeff or Final Fantasy IX, once I get to disk 2, I stop. I was not bored of them; I just put them down and go play something else and never come back to it, until it been too long and I start again.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    The game crashing conversation towards the end totally resonated with me (and maybe brought up bad memories...).

I bought FF7 as my first game on my shiny new ps1 way back in the day. At the time I was too young to take great care of my disks and ended up scratching disc 3. Little did I know that at the very end of the crater that my fight would freeze during the fmv in between the final Sephiroth fights... total buzz kill. I tried to get the disc buffed, tried toothpaste, tred all I could think of the get it to work, to no avail! So I gave up.
    Years later a friend of my brother's had a copy and said I could borrow it, so I played it and played it from the beginning unail when it asked me to swap to disc 3..... there was no disc three in the case!!!! Only 2 disc 2s!!!! Not even joking... just soul crushing. I didn't finish it until years later when I bought a fresh greatest hits version haha.

For another.... FFV (this one is a quicker story). I played it on the psx version up until the fire crystal, when all of a sudden... one day the save just did not work. Totally corrupt... so I tapped out and years later I emulated it on my phone (yes yes I'm so bad). Well... I don't need to tell you that that was a bad idea. The game kept crashing and I lost hours of progress multiple times due to the evils of emulation...
    I would have thought (now) that I might very learned my lesson, but when I saw it on the ps classics of my vita I decided to try again. I KID YOU NOT my save became corrupted on Thanksgiving day at the fire crystal AGAIN!
    To this day I still haven't finished it!
    *goes and crystal into a mug if beer*
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I ran into the "cannot finish game due to technical problems" roadblock with Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice on the 3DS. Halfway through the game, it crashes at save points, cutscenes, room transitions, and deleting and redownloading the game doesn't help. It's literally unfinishable.

This is especially frustrating because I really *like* The Black Tome of Ice, and I enjoyed the first Dragon Fantasy too. So I've started over on the PS3 version of The Black Tome of Ice, which hasn't crashed on me yet.

I usually play a game for up to an hour, to see if it interests me to go all the way to the end. If I'm not sufficiently hooked, it goes back into the backlog pile. At least a couple of games have gone in and out of the backlog pile 3 times before they clicked and I finished them.

Usually, if a game interests me enough to sink a few hours into it, then I want to beat it. Exceptions only come when I try to force myself to play a game, such as when I forced myself to play FF8 in tandem with a friend - that didn't end well when I got frustrated by FF8's combat and leveling system.